1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there room to charge a "full" battery?

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by TJX, Oct 31, 2017.

1. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When I stopped the charge with 50 minutes left the available EV miles were the same, both while charging and after stopping the charge.

2. CraftyCoder

CraftyCoder Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    After several months of driving I developed a better method for handling my morning downhill drive. I found that toggling the hybrid button right at the top of the hill causes the ICE to turn on and stay on for just about the length of my hill. Since I am going downhill the whole way, almost no fuel is being consumed. By the time I am at the bottom of the hill, the 3 minute timer has expired and it jumps back into EV as soon as it can. So far, my average MPG with a 25 mile round trip and the morning ICE exercise is around 400 MPG. Trying to second guess the charging level and/or messing with the braking just makes the trip unenjoyable. Simply toggling the switch and forgetting about it is much more pleasant and gets me an almost complete EV experience.

jb in NE likes this.
  3. Tha_Ape

Tha_Ape Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ive had the range not drop and even increase slightly while using the accelerator after a L2 charge once. It was a few weeks ago and hasn't happened again, but I know what you're talking about. The worst part was it suddenly catches up and your driving score takes a massive hit because the battery percentage dropped considerably.

I drive my car in EV mode almost exclusively and haven't experienced it again. I'm not super concerned because the car is under warranty for a long time, but it's something I watch for