1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this a decent deal for me?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fuse, Oct 5, 2011.

1. fuse

fuse New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking into buying my first car, used obviously. I currently drive a '94 Camry with ~215k miles on it. It still runs fine, no A/C though, which really sucks in the summer here, plus I've been saving up for a reason. The Prius has caught my eye because I like the way it looks and the fuel economy is an added bonus. I am currently looking at an '05 Prius with 79,656 miles on it with a listed price of $13,405. I'm not sure how much I can talk them down, but it is what it is.

Anyways, my main concern is the battery. I'd rather not have to drop the coin to replace it soon...

I also live in Nebraska and, if you're not familiar with our weather, we have COLD winters and HOT summers, so that doesn't bode well for the battery. I also don't drive that much -- I'd say less than 200 miles a week. I know people say I'd have to drive a lot to see savings, but gassing up every month instead of every 2 weeks is still saving a good amount...

Anyways, is this something I should look into in your opinion (biased user-base, I know) or should I just look into something else/regular? Any first time car buying advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks all!

2. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you don't drive that much, you should buy a car with very high mileage (eg. 150K) at lower cost. Because when you drive it another 5 years, you will not depreciate too much.

The Prius is still enjoying the added premium for the gas savings. Many people pay extra $2000 to buy it, because they can get the money back in a couple of years, in the form of gas saving. My commute was 125 miles/day. With Prius, I save about 2.5 gallons a day. Add weekend driving, I save total about $2000/year based on $3.75/gal gas in Chicago. I bought the 2004 Prius for $8000 cash in early 2010, with 106K miles on it. If nothing changes, it will be "free" in 4 years.

If your goal is to save money, then buy a used high mileage reliable car of any kind. If you enjoy all the fancy toys, go get a used luxury car for cheap. Since you don't drive a lot, you can buy a $50K car (when new) for $10K easy. I don't think Prius makes any economical sense to you, unless you simply like it and willing to pay the extra.

Good luck to your next car hunting...

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No thats not a good deal really. Thats a fairly old car and for $13K +
    I can buy a much newer car.
    And mileage will really suffer in Nebraska so if your in love with a Prius move south my man.

But if your heart is set on it and I know that feeling check out eBay as a price reference. You will quickly see 13k+ for an 05 is out of line in the current economy.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That '94 Camry is an exceptionally reliable vehicle. Now that it is Fall, you don't need A/C again until May, and it should make it through one more winter. Also, your Camry is probably more capable on snow/ice than a Prius. You lose no value on the Camry by hanging on to it for another 8 months, while being able to save up even more $$$ towards the purchase of its replacement.

As far as the battery, the greatest risk is old age + high mileage, rather than old age or mileage alone. The risk appears to go up beginning at 6 years + 150,000 miles.

And I agree, $13400 is too high. If someone offered me that for my '05 with 85000 miles, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

5. fuse

fuse New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your opinions all. I understand the notion that this is rather pricey given the circumstances, so I am looking at other options, but I have two constituents to this decision:

One - I'm not too comfortable buying any car over 100k miles (and my parents do not think it is a good idea either). I know my Camry kind of refutes this argument, but it just doesn't sit well with me.

Two - I kind of just want to get this whole ordeal over with. I've been searching for about 4 months now, so what's another few? I would be perfectly fine driving my Camry until next summer, but I have other plans that I need to push forward at that time. With any luck, my internship will turn full-time when I graduate next May and, at that time, I would like to work on buying a house (or at the very least, moving out). I would much rather not have to worry about a car and a house, financially, at the same time, even though the car payments would be nothing in comparison.

I hope this makes sense. Another thing I want to mention is that the market is horrible here. Sure, certain vehicles that are over 100k are slightly cheaper, but not by much. Everything, including the Prius, with 60k to 80k miles, range from mid-$12k to $14k. Cars with slightly less mileage (40k to 60k) hit my limit of $15k; though I would prefer to spend less...

EDIT -- For example, there is also a 2008 Honda Civic with 37,875 miles for $13,900. It is slightly better, but I have no idea how it would compare to the Prius (though I know Honda makes reliable vehicles, my only concern is fit being 6'4"). Would this be a better deal seeing as I might be able to lower the price more given that it isn't a hybrid?

6. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That is important information. Have you driven a Prius yet? It is not that comfortable to drive for a tall person, or so I have heard. The seat does not go far enough back and the steering wheel does not telescope.

If you are buying a house, every penny counts. If you are financing a car, it is definitely much better to get your mortgage first and finance the car later.

It is extremely difficult to judge condition of a car based on miles alone. Some people are so abusive that they wear a car out in 100,000 miles no matter what the brand, while others are so careful that they could put 1,000,000 miles on a Yugo. But in general, Honda and Toyota make exceptionally good cars, and 100,000 miles is not scary at all. I have 160,000 miles on the 04 RAV4 and it has been less trouble than the 05 Prius. The best bang for the buck will be a non-hybrid of 2004-2006 -- Yaris, Corolla, Camry, Fit, Civic, Accord.

7. fuse

fuse New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I fit in it just fine with the seat all the way back and was comfortable enough. It didn't feel all too different from my Camry. My dad, who is the same height, could not fit into the passenger seat. While I am really skinny, he has some girth to him, so that probably factored into the situation. He never tried the driver seat though...

I understand the whole mortgage first thing, but the odds of me getting a car now and it having problems then are much smaller than me driving my Camry up through the housing situation, so that's why I want to get the car deal out of the way. I already have a good chunk saved (~$11k), so I'll only need a really small loan which I will more than likely be able to pay off before next summer.

Thanks for the input all. Hopefully this sheds some light on things...

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just looked again on eBay and there's thousands of them.
    You can easily find one that finances and can ship to you
    and come out way ahead of the car you quoted.

Also do you have a Craigs List by you? There's a boatload of Prius's on my CL locally.

9. fuse

fuse New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just checked on craiglist. Apparently there is someone selling an '07 with 55k miles for $14k or best offer. I assume this is quite a bit more reasonable?

10. johnmaso

johnmaso New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Craigslist and Ebay are great sources for amazing deals, if you look properly and is confident of the seller. However, if you are going to finance, dealerships can have better rates than what most banks/ credit unions may offer.

As of 3 weeks ago when I bought my prius, all CPO prius have 2.9% financing! That is pretty good for a used car. I took the deal, got all the bells and whistles that comes with a CPO car (free maintenance, car wash, warranties, and other dealer freebies).

You have a lot of options! Good luck and let us know! :D

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Now your talking. Craigslist only works if you know exactly what your buying and what to look for.
    If they have been going for dealer service ask them for there account name and password so you can look on the Toyota Owners Online site for service history of that car.
    If they never logged in all you need is the car's vin and there name. There's nothing personal on there just the cars' history at the dealer.
    And then run a Carfax on the car no matter what they say.

At that mileage only thing the car will need is a transaxle fluid change and a engine oil change. And maybe the air cleaner & cabin filter. And maybe tires too. If it has Goodyear Integrities get them off the car asap. They are the worst tire ever made. Thats $400 for a different set and maybe $200 for everything else. Unless it has good tires.
    Good Luck.

12. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :thumb:

That's a much better deal. +1 on everything Ed said about tires and maintenance. You can do the cabin and engine air filter yourself -- aftermarket ones are super cheap on Amazon.

13. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OP - If you are dead set on a car and you have $14k or so to spend you can get a pretty decent new car for just a few $'s more - the Honda Fit, Mazda 2, Nissan Versa and Hyuandai Elantra are a couple. Also Toyota has redesigned the Yaris and the pictures at least look good. In that batch of cars the Fit would be #1 for me unless the new Yaris was a huge step up from the old one.

If it were me, I'd hold onto the existing car until February - at least in my area President's Day is one of the best times to get a great deal on a new car.

This way you can get a good and solid car with a full warranty and then take good care of it you will be able to drive it for a heck of a long time.

14. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1) 6'4 (I'm 5'11 and 1/2) is pushing it unless you want to modify it.
    2) $15000 for a 6-7 year old car is too much especially since you drive ~900 miles/mo. I bought an '07 coming from a '94 Camry V6, XLE (which I bought when gas was $1.33).
    3) Very hot and cold climates will result in lower mpg because of the A/C use.
    4) Flat surfaces are not good for pulse and glide.

I probably got one of the best deals when buying new for $20,750 and I'm still not sure it was a financially sound decision.

It has definitely been a fun 4.5 years of mostly maintenance free ownership and an overall better car than something like a Corolla.

If I were you, I'd go buy a new Versa or Elantra and keep it for 100+ kmi or a used '08/09 Camry. Especially if I was concerned about the HV battery reliability.

15. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1 person likes this.