1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this a decent deal? .....

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by auart, Jul 28, 2014.

1. auart

auart Junior Member

I am looking at getting another Prius.... Had a 2006, sold it after 100,000 miles and I wasn't having to drive much so got a Tacoma, now 5 years later, I am driving more than ever and want a used Prius again. Never had anything wrong with my 2006, it was great, avg was 53 MPG over the 3 years I drove it!
    Found a 2005 Prius with Nav and most options, with 120,000 miles, one owner, locally serviced by Toyota dealer and all documented. The Dealer wants $8200. KBB shows thats not bad.
    Also, found a 2005 Prius with same options, that had 2 previous owners, but only 90,000 miles, Price is $8900.
    Both look good, but I am juggling the lower miles vs the little bit lower price.
    Of course I will try to get the price down more, but not sure how much they will come down. Used Prius' are selling well with gas prices remaining high.

Used PriusChat a whole bunch before and decided to come back here for some advice!

Looked at a Camry Hybrid on a car lot, the guy had just bought it at auction, and I asked if I could have the key and look inside and sit in it.... well, when I powered it on, the Check Hybrid system light and the triangle was on.... so I am afraid of that one, even though I feel sure they will repair whatever is up.... just a mental thing knowing it was probably traded in after the original owner had the light come on.

2. auart

auart Junior Member

Nobody?
    I now have looked at a 2010 Prius with 106,000 miles for $12000.
    After reading all the negative threads on the Gen3 Prius, I am not sure I want to go that route.
    The Gen2 was reliable for me, and either Gen3 folks are just nopt happy with their cars, or the Gen3 folks that speak up on PC are the ones that have had issues with their Prius.

Which would you buy?

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What bothers you about the Gen3? Which threads are negative? It's a bigger car that should require less maintenance and gets slightly better fuel economy. You can have my V-AT when you can pry it out of my cold dead hands.

auart likes this.
  4. auart

auart Junior Member

Glad to hear it. Still haven't decided...
    buit I am glad somebody stepped up for the Gen3.
    I like the look of it much better, but have worried after reading a whole lot of negative stuff on this site, its not hard to find that negative talk, its all over PC. Every person that asks if they should go Gen2 or 3, has gotten tons of feedback steering them to the "Better Built" Gen2.
    Thats Why I started this thread.... I want to hear some of the good of a 2010 model....
    The price is getting better everyday and they will sell this one soon, so I gotta make my mind up. Today its down to $11,000 for a 2010 w 106000 miles.
    I am just worried about the battery, even though in the gen2 I had, I was never worried and know people that got up to 250,000 miles with no issues at all.
    Can that happen in a gen3 2010 Prius?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gen III's are great. like you said, a lot of peeps coming because of a problem. i would go with the best deal, and that seems like the 2010. seems like a lot of money for the 05 and 06, are you in cali?

6. auart

auart Junior Member

Thanks for input..
    Not in Cali... I am in Alabama where a Prius is not cool....but I loved my last one and have missed it badly!

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, those seem like high prices for an uncool car.:cool: have you looked at book value for your zip code? sorry missed the kbb statement. i sold my 04 with 95000 miles two years ago for $5,600. i realize a dealer is higher.

8. auart

auart Junior Member

Book value on the 2010 is a good bit higher than what I have negotiated a dealer down to, so I know the 2010 is a good price.
    The others have stalled on negotiating, and making me now lean toward the 2010 just for the decent deal. $11,000 for a 2010 is good even with the miles.