1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this a good buy? 2012 Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by ChelseyLF, Sep 27, 2017.

1. ChelseyLF

ChelseyLF New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    There’s a 2012 Prius C for sale at a dealership and they’re offering it too me for $6,403. It was at $6,995 but surprisingly I was able to talk them down. There’s only 78,112 miles on it. Good buy or not? I checked it out and the interior and exterior all seem in excellent condition, almost like new. Only one owner.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  2. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I put in 60002 as a zip code for Illinois.
    PC1 ranges from $8,687-$10,756 for FMR.

and then KBB.com crashed for me... I'd say put the cars details into KBB and see what they tell you.
    I'd do it for you, but KBB.com hates me.

3. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like a fantastic buy. Seriously the fact it's a new car with not that many miles, a Toyota, and a hybrid.. Buy it before someone else does!

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it is a Prius c One, it was a fleet or rental car. That means it may have had many drivers. If it is a Toyota certified used car, it has an additional warranty from Toyota.

See Certified Used Toyota Vehicles | Pre-Owned Cars, Trucks, SUVs & Hybrids

5. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I traded in my 2013 PC2 (50k miles) back in March for a measly $9.4k value (to it's $19.8k price when I bought it new), and it looked like the dealer reposted it for $11.5k...then it disappeared off their website and inventory in less than 2 weeks (with a new finance lien, when I checked its vin...so maybe they sold it for the $11.5k plus/minus $1k or so maybe). Sad to see the C has lost so much value nowadays due to gas prices and demand/competition in the compact hatch market.

I wouldn't care much for Toyota Certified or not (heck being a Toyota is pretty much almost bulletproof, so screw the certification that just jacks up the price), but I'd say that if the C does have a clean carfax (it'll also show if it's a fleet rental), then it is probably a pretty good deal (and maybe you could even try to haggle some more off).

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @SwhitePC you may want to update your profile here. It says 2013 Prius c 4.
    (unless you traded in your 2013 Prius c 2 for a 2013 Prius c 4)

7. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    =P

I had a C2

and loved it so much, bought a C4 for the wife, so I do still have the C4, and had to trade-in the C2 when life happened and the family got a lil too big

C4 is now pretty much the work/commute workhorse and the van the family outting car

=P

1002667_1412657788988003_875085346_n.jpg
    IMG_20170331_184141.jpg

#7 SwhitePC, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    ztanos and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe. Hard to tell.

This almost falls into the category of "too good to be true".

It is almost guaranteed that a used car salesman will LIE......or at least fail to tell you everything that he knows.
    So, ask point blank if it has ever been wrecked and if they know of any problems that need attention.
    Ask how much is left on the "hybrid system" warranty.

Then insist on something like a 30 day unconditional warranty from the dealer.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    is it a toyota dealership?

10. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is way below kbb book value here. It estimates close to $10k if the car is in excellent condition. Private party fair condition is still much higher priced at $7.9k.

As Sam Spade wrote, be careful here- it almost seems too good to be true. Dealers are in business to make a profit and are very aware of book values of cars. There's no reason to price a car, that appears to be in excellent condition, at a price that is way below market value- and only a single owner. And then they discounted it further?

Trade in value for this c in very good condition is $5.9k, which is listed here. So, you're looking at $500 above trade in, which is rare. If the carfax turns out fine and if it's never been in an accident, then this is a steal and I'd buy it. And yes....make sure you see the carfax. You still have 22k miles left on the hybrid battery warranty, too. The powertrain warranty is over, though.

(bring a trusted mechanic to check out the car to verify it hasn't been in an accident, check leaks, powertrain, etc...)

Prodigyplace likes this.