1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this a good deal / should I not be too concerned with the rust?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ATX_PiP_01, Sep 7, 2016.

1. ATX_PiP_01

ATX_PiP_01 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    First post! Apologies if this is in the wrong sub-forum or if there's a better one for me to post this in – let me know if so.

$16,250 for a 2014 Plug-In Basic; ~25,000 miles. I've taken it to two different shops (one a Toyota dealer) and both told me the car is in good condition if you ignore the rust underneath, both of which labeled it as "extreme" for a car that's only 2 years old. Context: the car is being sold in Texas, but the car comes used from the northeast (Upstate NY); I expected some corrosion, but both shops labeling it "extreme" has me reconsidering.

Pics:

Manhal K Alrashdan likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! great deal. prius is notorious for rust, but no reports of problems that i can remember.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I once bought a used car here in Texas that came from Indiana. It was about 5 years old at the time and working on it was a PITA because some smaller parts had basically rusted together, your picture of the emergency brake is a good example, but otherwise the car ran fine.

I just check CarMax for Texas and all three PIP's are lease returns for the NY/NJ area.

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    It shows a car with little to NOT maintenance at all. The shown rust is about normal but for a 5/6 years old Prius vehicle.

5. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I would agree that the rust and corrosion look excessive for a 3 year old car. It is possible that it was in water at some point possibly a flood. I ask for a CARFAX and ask to view the title to make sure they are clean. Also check myToyota.com with the VIN to see if there has been regular maintenance done by a Toyota dealership.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    too late a model for sandy hook.

7. ATX_PiP_01

ATX_PiP_01 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks to all for the info and feedback – truly appreciated. We've decided to let this one go and keep looking for one in better condition.

vegan likes this.
  8. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Good choice.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I did some rust preventative measures on our 2010 about a year back, was a little dismayed by the rust, both on steel members and fasteners. Toyota seems kinda slack in this regard. Your pictures reflect a car that may well have been flooded, or just a lot of salt in winters.

10. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    What kind of preventative measures did you take? There's a good bit of surface rust underneath mine (also from a region where salting the roads in winter is common) and was thinking about applying Waxoyl or something similar (don't know if that exists in the US) but have no experience with this...

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I used Lloyds Corrosion Inhibitor & Lubricant. Not an endorsement, just something I'd picked up. Waxoyl sounds similar, both claim to go on liquid, leave a protective film.

I raised the back first, worked with rags and a toothbrush. First cleaned, then applied protectorant, sometimes spraying directly, more often applied with the toothbrush. Basically all the suspension components I could reach, and exposed bolts/nuts.

To reach some suspension components, the trailing arm hubs, I needed to take off some small plastic panels. Some of their fasteners were small diameter bolts, screwing into welded nuts. It was alarming to find some of them near-seized, after 3 years on our temperate coast climate. From there on, I backed out, oiled and re-installed any of these I could get to, plus the coarse thread screws Toyota uses in some places, for bumper fairing fastening.

Did the rear first, then repeated on the front, where I took off the engine underpanel, and lubricated everything I could reach. There was one set of three 10 mm (socket size) bolts, just at the leading edge of the front wheel wells. They connect two plastic panels, basically just a plastic-to-plastic splice. I made the mistake of trying to remove them, and the bolt head just snapped off. They were hopelessly rusted, best regarded as permanent pop-rivets.

TheRedRocker and QuantumFireball like this.
  12. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I live in NY. To me, all that is just normal rust.

13. Ian Sanderson

Ian Sanderson New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Flood car? Hardly. I've seen brand new cars go through one winter and look like that underneath. It's mostly superficial rust from the ultra-corrosive brine de-icers used here, but I wouldn't worry on such a new car. Check the bottoms of the doors. I've seen Prii rust there which would be a definite deal killer for me.

Hello from the salt belt.

TheRedRocker likes this.