1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this a real problem? Faulty inverters?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Wolfman33, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Wolfman33

Wolfman33 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    An article popped up in my feed on Facebook from a website called Toyota Talk:
    THE DEFECTIVE TOYOTA PRIUS HYBRID INVERTER
    THE DEFECTIVE TOYOTA PRIUS HYBRID INVERTER - ToyotaTalk

They make it sound like the gen 3 / gen 1 plug in has an inferior inverter that is prone to failure and dangerous.
    I did a search on this forum for inverter failure and only a few came up. It seems to me if this was a real problem, it would be all over this site.

Does it seem like a legit website to you, or maybe just somebody that has hard feelings for Toyota?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    got burned and it is payback time. can't blame them really, toyota should stand by their customers, even out of warranty.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  3. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My local dealership doesn't always cover warranted repairs, why would they cover unwarranted?

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. it's hit or miss. i would hate to be the miss, seeing someone else get the hit.
    how can a dealer not cover warranted repairs, is that legal?

5. kenmce

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    In my case they explained that they did not consider the exhaust system part of the emission controls. Never mind the hydrocarbon adsorber, which had failed in there. If I wanted it fixed I could pay them. I wrote to Toyota regional to ask if the exhaust system was covered under warranty - they sent back a very bland letter saying go back to the people who told you "no" and ask them. I knew that I needed to have it fixed to pass the state inspection, and decided that $200 US was really a modest price to pay to get an entire stainless steel exhaust system.

In the end I paid for it, even if it is covered under the warranty. I also miss no opportunity to warn people about that dealership.

Data Daedalus and bisco like this.
  6. kenmce

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Maybe a crank, maybe a lawsuit trawler. Not much of a site either way. I think you'd get more detail & honesty here.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this dealer, along with other complainants, has been detailed in a thread here. see, @JackTheNarrator