1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this an ok buy? 07 w/ 225k

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by technologiq, Sep 25, 2017.

1. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And with a three year old 150 kwh battery pack too? Oh yes, definitely; it would be a really sweet ride for a 70 year old retiree. :)

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a friend that was given a Prius similar to what you want to buy. He was given this car to give to his daughter, who drives a classic VW beetle. He got the car and the daughter didn't want any part of it, didn't have the coolness factor of the VW.

So in your decision to buy this for your daughter. You should be 100% certain she wants it instead of a lifted F150

I probably would not buy a car with this high mileage for my daughter. For myself, YES, not for her.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  3. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    That's a very civil response to someone who just about accused you of child abuse. Good on ya, and welcome to the community.

SFO and fotomoto like this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One day we'll all have to give our kids Tesla cars......or it'll be considered child abuse.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was thinking the same thing. I have some friends that trade in very low mileage, Toyota cream puffs every 5 years- Prius, Avalons, Tacomas, etc... I always offer to purchase those vehicles their vehicles (plus what they would have saved in tax), since they are what I'd want to drive. But they always trade them in. I think they don't want the awkward situation of selling a car to a friend, and then having something go wrong.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. Fredsimm

Fredsimm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I let my daughter buy an 09 with 166k without hesitation. No regrets. I like hers so much, I bought an 07 with 150k. Still no regrets. We've had a few problems, but not any more than any other car I've owned. Actually less. BTW, if you pass on it, I will come buy it. You can make a profit with that price. Prii in my area in that condition go for 2- 4 grand.

7. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    if the headlight works then dies out its the bulb not the ballast, I made that mistake before..
    I bought cheap bulbs on e bay for $15 a pair with free shipping.. so far they are a year old and still working

8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Seems to me like several of us are saying DON'T DO IT and you just aren't listening.

That advice would apply to most ANY vehicle with 225 THOUSAND miles on it.
    Especially when you will be "giving" it to your daughter.

Can you afford something better ? If so, why are you scrimping at her expense ??
    And you haven't replied with the value of the truck that you are replacing either.
    I would think that the "new" vehicle would at least be a break even with the income from selling the truck.

Good luck. Whatever you do I hope it works out good.......for HER.

9. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It could be EITHER.
    It could even be a bad connection.

You can't make that diagnosis by remote control.

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, the most I can say is that it is an intriguing deal.
    At $1300 that's incredibly low buy in for a working Prius.
    2007 with 225K, is what it is. But it appears this vehicle has been well maintained.
    If I was confident in the validity and quality of the repairs and maintenance? I might easily make that investment.

If I was doing it for a son or daughter? For sure what I would want checked and what I would be concerned about is safety items. That is condition of the Brakes, and Tires. I would have both checked, and repaired/replaced as needed.

But...I think it would be a deal as presented that I could be talked into making.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Cars today are nothing like the cars of yesterday in regard to miles on the odo. I'm sure many of us remember when a 100k miles was almost an unobtainable mark and was only a dream if you had less than a V8. A 2000+ model year car with good maintenance and a bit of TLC could realistically last someone a lifetime if needed. Of course, anything can be beaten into the ground to the point of becoming a sh*tbox.

strawbrad likes this.
  12. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  13. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ha ha, I was thinking the same thing. If the OP passes, I'd want it.

14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Agreed. My co-worker had an identical 06 to my creampuff but his was a POS: 300k miles, brakes and a/c out, crap tires and a thoroughly trashed interior yet he still got $1800 for it because it had a 2 year old replacement Toyota HV battery in it.

15. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is it leather? Leather is pretty rare and far more comfortable than the cloth seats.

Also, you posted Monday at 11PM....It's almost been 2 days. I am very familiar with what a hot deal is on Craigslist...and how long they last. My guess is that it sold yesterday and ad is already deleted. That is a 1 day sale for sure. Hope you got it.

16. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    no diagnosis can be made by remote control its all guess work based on info given.they can always move the bulb from one side of the car to the other and see if the problem follows it. the bulb is a lot cheaper to change then the ballast

SFO likes this.
  17. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @MilkyWay , speaking of hot deals... I sent you a PM on Aug 21st, did you have a chance to read it yet?

18. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    be happy you are getting realistic offers, I posted my loaded 2008 157000 miles for 3500 and get offers of 1200 to 1800 they will go 2000 if I drive it 7 hours to Miami and find my own way home.

MilkyWay likes this.
  19. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, sorry haven't gotten back with you....It is just so far away that doesn't seem like it could work. But if you can find older 7.3L diesels...preferably crew cab...Zero Rust. And 4x4....For under 2k lmk. We got a 1990 for like $1000 and paid $750 to ship it (which took weeks and we got lucky because that is ridiculously low for Cali to Michigan)....It sold in 1 day in MI for about double our cost. But I know that is still probably hard to find.

SFO likes this.
  20. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm surprised at the low prices that the Prius commands at other parts of the country. When I was shopping for a used Prius in So Cal, it was a struggle just to find one that was priced at kbb book value- or close to it. Below book value was tough. Private party sellers wanted to get the price the dealers were getting. Honda Insights had the same overpricing issue, as if the owners thought they were selling collector items.

Just a quick search, out of curiosity, I pulled up this Prius, which is similar to your '08 with 157k miles. $9,500, but it has new tires! To be fair, there are several nice ones in the $5.5-$7k range. But it seems that the Prius has a wide range of prices, depending on where you live.