1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this crazy high gasoline mileage!?!?!

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by hidaven, Apr 24, 2018.

1. hidaven

hidaven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Unless the computer is wrong, I'm getting 70-75mpg when in hybrid mode at 65 degrees temp. I reset the trip meter to 0 when I run out of electricity and just drive hybrid (it switches over) but although its in hybrid mode its still using EV off and on. I just took a trip with highways/ back roads for 145 miles and my mpg is 75.4! Can that be right?? It almost doesn't pay to use EV if that's the case. This has now happened a few times when I did this test. I had a 2 gen model that got 52 MPG in the summer and 42 in the winter (avg.) this car is getting 23MPG more and I'm still not at the 70-75 ideal temp range.....

axle2152 likes this.
  2. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It is an amazing car.

3. karthik1107

karthik1107 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    75 is certainly possible, though its on upper limits. This is what hyper-miling is all about. You may have hyper miled without realizing it. If you need avg joe's mpg, then you can keep climate on, and do a full loop of 50 to 100 miles to see what you get. I would guess 52 to 55

4. hidaven

hidaven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Now wait! This is with 3 people in the car to boot! No A/C or heat just the radio.
    The big help is that the EV electric only does kick in at highway speeds too. Now mind you this is a BIGGER and HEAVIER car then my gen 2. I'm amazed at this mileage if the computer is accurate.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the computer is not accurate, sorry.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So yer not in an 08 prius but a prime?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    3rd gen BS's 7.5%, compared to calculated, in my experience. 4th Gen is doing really good though, a big improvement. Compare the gens on Fuelly.

8. isag247

isag247 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I average 53 mpg and over 500 miles on one tank. I have a 2013 PRIUS C. I love this car!

karthik1107 and bisco like this.
  9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's great! The computer is a little optimistic though.

And as @Lucifer hinted, you might want to update your profile to avoid confusion.

10. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'd certainly say that number is realistic especially if you are driving with a charge on the traction battery (although you posted that you reset your meter when you deplete your EV range). In my experience I usually get around 65 MPG on the highways (all EV on back roads) so if your doing back road driving as well I can certainly see this number climbing higher.

As other have pointed out the computer is probably overestimating a bit but its still superb number so I wouldn't complain. ;)

11. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sure. I see it all the time.

Of course in those conditions a full charge approaches 40 miles range

12. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Elevation! On my way to send kids which is 9 miles mostly freeway, I got 90+ mpg to there and 38+mpg back to home. Average is more than 60mpg.

13. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Something is not right in your numbers.

If e.g 100 mpg there
    40 mpg back
    Then the average mpg is 100/1.75 = 57.14*

It is tempting to take the sum of numbers and divide by two but that gives the wrong answer because it ignores weighting.

x amount of fuel there that works out to 100 mpg
    2.5 x amount of fuel to return
    Thus average of (1x+2.5x)/2 fuel each way

douglasjre likes this.
  14. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Your calculation is correct! It is not simple average. My math skill is rusted.

Given a lot of hills 54.5mpg is more practical. In EV mode I got 5.5m/kWh for the same route.

15. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Even the regular Prius can achieve 65-75 MPG under the right conditions. In the regular Prius we usually see that sort of mileage under mild temps and when the battery stays around 58-62% SOC. I really would love to trade up to a Prime one of these days but I need to wear out my current Prius...which hopefully takes a long time.

Also, knowing the terrain you could switch to EV when needed, like climbing a hill... I'm sure a hypermiler has come up with a strategy to get the most out of their Prime.

That all being said it is another reason to like summer time. This morning on my 18.5 mile commute to work we had 55 F degree temps and got about 74 MPG from a cold start (regular non-plugin Prius). I'll probably get about 60 on the way back this afternoon.

breakfast and Oniki like this.
  16. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I easily get 1000 miles a tank, with ICE to charge. Today I reverted back to EV mode. What this means is mostly EV operation with ICE coming on only when needed. Computer determined. So for a 42 mile round trip, the car traveled
    about 38-39 miles in mostly EV. on freeway keep speed 55-60, if a truck comes along I’ll semi-draft the trailer at about 60 mph. Use radar cruise control. I’m of the impression that with this incredible MPGe I may even eke out 2000 miles for the tank. Next test.

douglasjre likes this.
  17. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No matter what generation, the MPG is MPGe and is only a guide. There is no accurate way to separate ICE use from HV and get accurate figures. Possibly under laboratory conditions but even then minute errors could appear. But the cars figures are good enough to shock the unitiated. ( the non-Prius driver )

18. Yankee3

Yankee3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Some observations about my trip yesterday. Set on Eco and full charge showing about 34 miles available ev range. This is a round trip of 105 miles- partial city and partial freeway. I make this trip all the time. The car registered a total of 92.50mpg. for total trip. I started out in hybrid mode for the partial city route and I noticed despite the hybrid setting the car was mainly driving in ev mode all the way to the freeway. I am thinking when the car is fully charged the vehicle is telling the computer it cannot accept anymore charge from the ice therefore it keeps it in ev mode driving up my mpg. there are sections of my trip I manually change to ev mode during stop and go 40-50 mile per hour zones. There seems to be a noticeable mpg increase saving a full charge in this way. Normally I was getting 82mpg on the trip using ev mode immediately and gradually running the battery pack down only during none freeway driving. I hope this makes some sense but obviously I used very little fuel with this technique, figuring it makes almost a 10mpg difference . I Noticed the car was reporting 84;5mpg. on the return trip only with more of the normal hybrid engine cycle on and off. By the was the air was on eco mode with 72 dgree setting. This car is definitely a miracle in engineering. I think one needs to drive one on a regular basis to really appreciate it. The tire situation not so much.

19. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    49 miles yesterday, mostly interstate, full charge at start, some stop and go traffic, mostly flat. Around 33 miles electric, rest as a hybrid (at 65.5 MPG for the hybrid portion). Regular driving mode (not ECO mode), and regular A/C at 74 degrees (not ECO mode A/C). Started in plain old EV mode. Boom.

How did I calculate MPG for the hybrid portion?

I was able to use the 199.99 as an actual number, as it's really close to a "true" 199.9 - I know this as it dipped to around 195 a few miles from my destination, so...

- take the 199.99 MPG and divide it by 49.1 total miles, and you've got .2467 gallons of gas used, then
    - subtract the 33 electric miles from the 49.1 total miles, and you've got 16.1 miles of hybrid operation
    - take the 16.1 miles of hybrid operation and divide it by the .2467 gallons of gas used, and you've got 65.5 MPG for the hybrid portion.

subtract the 33 electric miles from the 49.1 total miles, divide that by the .2467 gallons of gas used [that's 199.9 MPG/and you've got 16.1 miles of hybrid operation at 65.5 MPG)

may-23-199.jpg

I laugh at you, ECO score algorithm. If this is a 74, I'll be happy to be a "C student" every day!

Oniki likes this.
  20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always wondered for a trip like this, would selecting EV Auto work? (i.e. set and forget?). I think it automatically kicks in the engine above 40 or 50 mph so it should be running in hybrid mode on the freeway and EV mode at lower speeds.