1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this install as bad as it looks?

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by Insighter, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I had the body side moldings installed on my Prime this afternoon, and I refused to take it back when the dealer drove it out form the service bay. To me, the passenger side looks great, but the driver side is noticeably arced.

The first thing I noticed was the difference in the distance between the back tips (the black area) of the back door molding strips and the back edges of the rear doors. That distance is notably shorter on the driver side than on the passenger side (by over 1/2", I'd say). I believe this is because the strips on the driver side were applied in an arc rather than in a straight line.

I added the yellow lines in Photoshop. I think they highlight the difference. Would most you think this is unacceptable? The labor was $280. both-combined_edited-1.jpg

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow, looks like Stevie Wonder did it in the dark.

Yes it looks badddd.

HPrimeAdvanced and Insighter like this.
  3. citiprius

citiprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Wonder.....does it matter if it was being done in the dark or not? I would not accept it and it is worse than no molding.

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Completely unacceptable. They should refund the labor charge and try again, maybe using the installation instructions (PDF) this time. (Those instructions say they’re for the Prius, but I believe the part number and dimensions are the same for the Prius Prime.)

5. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, bad. Demand a refund. Can those strips be removed without damage?

6. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That is exactly the question I'll be posing to the dealer in the morning. I refused to accept my car back in that condition. It's double-stick tape, so I'm guessing it can be removed carefully without issue. But I'm going to be asking what they are going to use to do that (physically and chemically), and that they take photos of the paint when the strips are off before they remount them or new ones. They're probably going to have to order new parts. It's really absurd because I very specifically told the service advisor that this would have to be done right, with no margin for error. I told him if they couldn't do that, don't do it at all, and that I would lose it if they screwed up my new car with crooked strips. It was a perfectly friendly conversation, but I went out of my way to explain that this had to be done right or not at all.

7. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ... and that probably made the installer even more nervous. ;)

Do keep us posted on the outcome.

8. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No, I didn't talk to the installer. And, from what the service adviser said and how quickly the job was done, I'm pretty sure they had two guys, one on each side, working on it at the same time (thus the great difference in the result on each side). I know you're joking, but there should be nothing about this that is affected by nerves. If you take your time (and I told them I was in no hurry), you can do it right. I could have done it if I wanted to invest the time, but I thought I'd pay the pros.

9. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here are the installation instructions.

Page 3 clearly shows the correct positioning. If yours are not positioned as the instructions define, make them correct the mistake.

Attached Files:

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you really going to accept their answer?
    More importantly...are you going to let the same person who botched the install yank them back off and then try again?

FWIW, double sided tape is pretty easy to get off of the car with patience.....and maybe a little heat and dental floss.
    OTOH....A heat gun in the hands of an impatient person...like the one who did the initial install, can really botch things up!!!

Tell them to refund the part and install price and offer to remove the offending parts yourself.
    If it's an OEM part installed by an OEM dealer, it might be covered by the OEM warranty.
    You're in SoCal, which means that there's more than one dealer.

Good Luck!

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I doubt the initial install would be covered by Toyota at another dealer without a special deal with corporate. The installing dealer needs to make it right!

A total refund might work but IMHO they should also compensate for diminishing the value of the car too. :(

HPrimeAdvanced and citiprius like this.
  12. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just spoke to my service advisor. He said his foreman and their body shop manager looked at it and said that even though the passenger side looks okay, the measurements are off all over the car. So they've pulled all of the molding off and are redoing everything. I raised my concerns about the paint and they said it was easy to remove the strips as it has been cold and they were only on overnight. So, I'll see what they come up with today.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this is one of the things I really hate in life. I go somewhere to spend a good amount of money ($280 in labor alone) on product that can be implemented more or less well, and then I end up with a huge hassle. I don't try to get discounts. I say up front that things need to be done properly or that I won't be satisfied. Then I get lousy work and all of the sudden I have to be the bad guy. Poor work transforms me from being a valued customer to a pain in the butt.

It makes me wonder. For every 100 cars a dealer sends out with moldings installed this poorly, how many come back? How many people take it and never notice or don't care?

13. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    One trick for removing double sided tape is to apply a little heat with a heat gun while applying pressure to the part being removed and if needed they use a piece of fishing line while heating and pulling on the part to remove it.

good luck

Insighter likes this.
  14. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just picked it back up. They sent some photos first (attached below). This time it appears to be right. I'm not getting out a ruler measure it down to millimeters, but I think it looks good now. It's a shame it took wasting a set of moldings and everyone's time to get it right.

I like the way the moldings look, but, having seen them before they were installed, I'm not very impressed with the way they are constructed.

IMG_0911.jpg IMG_0912.jpg

Mark57, qettyz and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks much better now

16. citiprius

citiprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Finally.....looks good! I believe the molding only cost a small fraction. They just simply jet up the price and add to the overall package/accessory sales price, then give you a nice discount when selling the car.

Insighter likes this.
  17. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    2nd time is the charm. Glad they got it right.

Insighter likes this.
  18. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Youch!! Pretty sh..y workmanship!! But only $280!!! What a rip!! I think it's time to send Louie The Leg Breaker over to somebody's side moulding shop!! "You fixa my friend's car, heah, fo free or I fixa you face!!" Make sure to let me know that dealer's name and address so I can send over sumpin' nice for him!! That lousy job should be fixed, all your money refunded, and you should get an apology!!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

padroo and Insighter like this.
  19. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey don't pick on my buddy Stevie!!,

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

padroo and Insighter like this.
  20. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi Henri-
    Well, they did fix it and were apologetic. They did not offer any refund, though. I think they should have refunded at least part of the labor charge (the labor alone was $280), but I really just wanted it done right, and now it is, so I'm satisfied. They did offer me a free detail once the adhesive on the strips has cured, but I'm particular about who I let clean my cars and have not ever been particularly impressed with any dealership's detailing facilities. I won't mention the dealership because they did fix it and did so with a smile and not a bit of reluctance. It was just a huge waste of time and materials (they threw the original moldings away).