1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this mod legal?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by macmaster05, Jan 29, 2010.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd like to order the TR15-PF Chrome Trim Rings from Auto Amenity (found here Flat Narrow Chrome Trim Rings Stylish Look, Great Prices, AutoAmenity) , but upon checking the CA laws for tires, I found this:

V.C. Section 27454 - Protuberances on Tires: Exceptions

27454. A tire on a vehicle upon a highway shall not have on its periphery any block, stud, flange, cleat, ridge, bead, or any other protuberance of metal or wood that projects beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire.

Does this mean that the Chrome Trim Rings are illegal in CA? Thanks!

2. vegasjetskier

vegasjetskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think they mean that it cannot project radially past the tread, that is, it can't come in contact with the road surface. So I would say no, trim rings are not illegal.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    [​IMG]
    If the Tread width is larger than the Rim width, as it is in most tires, you have no problem at all with those trim rings.

Look at this cross section, the tread has a greenish tint and is much wider than the bead that attaches to the wheel.

[​IMG]

4. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Trim rings aren't tires. Wheels aren't tires. The only things that are tires are tires (those black rubber things that they replace when they wear out).

I don't think it will be an issue. If you do happen to get cited for it, I bet it's an easy ticket to fight (for the reasons I gave).

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Vegasjetskier, I don't quite understand your definition. If anything came in contact with the road surface how would you drive? You'd be scraping metal on the ground constantly.

JimboPalmer's description seems to make more sense - but here's the problem: I've heard that for these chrome rings on a Prius, there is a small gap between the ring and the edge of the rim (metagray)- which would add width to the rim, possibly making the rim width larger than the tread width....? That is my concern.

Kohnen, then why do they say "protuberance of metal or wood?" That obviously does not refer to the black rubber tires.

6. vegasjetskier

vegasjetskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Right. They don't want you to have any metal or wood in contact with the ground (with the exception of the things they've listed), like spikes for ice racing, bolts, nails, paddles, etc., because they would tear up the road surface.

1 person likes this.
  7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If these are Plastic Chrome plated like the factory trim, it's not covered in the wording...

"block, stud, flange, cleat, ridge, bead, or any other protuberance of metal or wood that projects beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire."

Don't see the word Plastic in there.

8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is there a phone number I can call to ask an officer or authority like CHP or DMV, just to be sure? Or is that self incriminating.

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    periphery (plural peripheries)

1. The outside boundary, parts or surface of something. The suburbs are a city's periphery
    If you look at this in the context of the exceptions listed in the V.C. (i.e. the exceptions tell what types of studded tires can be used in Calif, etc.) it seems clear to me that they are talking about the outer diameter of the tread, aka the periphery.

10. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really like the tire shedder wheels..
    [​IMG]

But I suppose the extra weight would shred the MPG!!!

11. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't think those are legal, but I don't know which specific V.C. would apply. Maybe the Ben Hur subsection? :madgrin:

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am guessing you live in California, this will help you find a local office.

DMV Public Offices By Location

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Naw I was asking everyone if they knew specifically who to ask. I doubt the ladies at the DMV would know the answer to this.

14. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    those rings have pictures of rims they fit and don't fit... a prius rim is on the doesn't fit list.

IF it did fit.. it wouldn't matter in CA. they allow spinner rims here... (because they don't exceed the sidewall of the tires)

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm an officer of law and I can tell you this is refering to studded tyres and chains or wooden blocks strapped to the wheel for traction in mud. It refers to the traction surface of the tyre, so nothing on the tyre should be metal or wood and nothing on the wheel should be able to contact the ground apart from the tyre.

16. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Cobrakid, it does not fit a standard Prius (15" rim) but scroll down on the seller's page and youll see that it fits the Touring.

Thanks everybody else. I think I have a clear idea that this should be legal. Time to order!