1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this noise normal?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by coolioe93, Aug 11, 2017.

1. coolioe93

coolioe93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

I just bought a used 2006 Prius with 153k miles on it. Whenever I brake, I hear the same noise as shown in the video below. However, even though it's the same noise, mine isn't as loud. I hear it about 90% of the time whenever I hit the brakes and occasionally when I turn off my car.

I've been searching the forums and it appears that there is a warranty enhancement (ZG1) for brake actuator failure. There apparently is also a TSB out for this issue that says it's just a noise and not really a problem that affects performance of the brakes. Link below. My brakes work perfectly fine, it's just that the noise is a little annoying.

TSB BR001-07 Brake actuator noise | PriusChat

I was wondering if this noise is just a cosmetic issue or if it indicates a problem that could lead to a failed brake actuator? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What you are hearing is the electric vacuum pump for the brakes. The car brakes via regenerative braking and when under about 5MPH the conventional hydraulic power brakes are applied. This happens immediately if you stomp on the brake peddle for an emergency stop.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

coolioe93 likes this.
  3. coolioe93

coolioe93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So it's not a sign of impending brake failure or anything right? Lol

4. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Vacuum pump? I think you mean brake actuator pump and no it's not normal for it to run that long. You'll have to drive the car until the trouble lights come on and then go and get the actuator replaced under warranty by Toyota.

This thread should answer your questions:
    Brake Actuator Warranty Extension from Toyota

#4 Texas Hybrid Batteries, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    coolioe93 likes this.
  5. coolioe93

coolioe93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I showed it to the dealer and the service advisor said it's normal and that's just the sound of the regenerative braking motor :-/

I guess I'll wait and see if any lights come on before December and if they do then I'll get it fixed.

#5 coolioe93, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    bisco likes this.