1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this normal battery behavior?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jta98z, May 17, 2017.

1. jta98z

jta98z Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Good morning everyone. I'm curious if what I'm experiencing is normal battery behavior?

Long story short, I have a 2005 Prius with 125k on it. The HV battery died 3 weeks ago, and I had a reconditioned one installed with a 2 year warranty from a reputable local hybrid shop. The guy seemed to really know his stuff. Anyways, less than 1,000 miles on this new battery.

Temperatures here in NC have been hovering close to 90 the last couple days, and I'm feeling like I'm seeing a noticeable difference in the battery with the heat. I'm noticing that the first few initial miles after the car has been sitting for a while seems to drain the battery a little faster than usual. Not into the purple, but it just burns up a few more blue bars than what it seems like I noticed when it was a little cooler.

Example, I carpool with a coworker. Some days he drives some days I drive. Yesterday, he drove so my car was in a shopping center parking lot all day with temps around 90. When we got back to my car, I started the car up and it was at 7 green bars exactly what I parked it at. With the AC on, radio on etc, it burned all the way down to 3-4 blue bars in the traffic trying to get out of the shopping center.

I'm fairly certain, just a couple of weeks ago when the weather was 10-15 degrees cooler, it wasn't draining the battery as fast. I wouldn't think it would be the AC because I was running it then too. Everything returns to normal after a few miles down the road and I guess the car is warmed up so to speak. Doesn't burn the battery as quickly etc.

I bought the car in the winter so this is really my first experience with it in the summer.

So I suppose the two questions I have that I have searched for and cannot seem to find a valid answer to are these:

1. Does the Prius burn more of the battery in the first few miles after its been sitting? I noticed it on my original battery pack too. Is it a sign of a weakening battery? I hope not considering this one was just installed with 1,000 miles on it. Don't really want to have to take it right back to the shop.

2. Is the heat actually accelerating the battery drain?

Thanks everyone!

2. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is fairly normal. The ac uses a lot of energy, and when you pull away from sitting after a while the hybrid system relies on driving power from the electric motor while the gas engine is running at idle and warming up to operating temperature.

Mind you it does get more noticeable with a older used battery.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like the new battery is not that strong. Also sounds like your not doing anything to mitigate cabin heat. You should be using a weather tech windshield shade that is form fitted and insulated and hope you have a good tint on the windows and I keep the package cover extended in the back cargo area and have a form fitted piece of foam insulation covered in foil. That sits on that rack so no direct sun hits the back battery area. Really helps keep the cabin cool. The sun is so strong now and your letting the cabin get super heated and that kills the battery. Probably attributed to the original battery failing. Shade available at the Priusshop.

I recommend u purchase a hybrid battery charger from hybridautomotive.
    Occasional charging helps and you will see the difference between a good freshly charged battery and the present battery's condition.

srellim234 likes this.
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... and regardless of what the so called "reconditioning" process your installer used, it is still an old battery of recycled old components. You cannot make new from old.

To answer your 2 questions,
    1. Yes, the Prius draws more heavily on the HV battery when it is first warming up, but not especially because of the heat. An older pack will be weaker than a new pack. You may benefit by letting the car get through the first stage of warm up, which takes about 55 sec from when the ICE starts (with the A/C off) and is signalled by the ICE shutting down. Wait until this happens then start the A/C before moving off. The only way to rejuvenate your car is to install a truly NEW battery and that means a new battery from Toyota.
    2. No, but the battery does not like to be hot, so depending on the battery's internal temperature, the system might ease off the load until it is cooler. If it does that you may see poorer performance. I'd make sure you cool the car as quickly as possible to 73-74ºF. Open the doors/windows to let excess heat escape and then get the A/c going. As a preventative measure, use a window shade, if you have one, for when the car will be parked in the sun.
    hope this helps

#4 dolj, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  5. jta98z

jta98z Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So are you arguing against battery reconditioning? I understand that its not new but I wouldn't expect to see a reconditioned battery displaying symptoms of weakness with 1,000 miles on it. I'm fine with it doing everything I mentioned above as long as it'll still run fine and doesn't indicate impending battery failure within the next 2 weeks lol.

6. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The behavior you're talking about probably doesn't mean anything is wrong with the battery except that it's older. And I think dolj meant that buying a refurbished or reconditioned battery means it's not going to last as long, not necessarily that it's going to stop working in the next couple weeks. If the battery is in risk of immediate failure, you would probably see the charge level bouncing up and down every few minutes.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly.
    No, I am not arguing against reconditioning, per se, but rather the proliferation of battery "rebuilders" doing who knows what and passing off the rebuilt battery to the end user who has the expectation that it will be as good as new. The stories we see here repeatedly is the that these batteries generally are not lasting 6 months, let alone 3 years.
    Your statement here is exactly is what I'm talking about above in regards to user expectation.

In essence, there is a place for reconditioning (as understood using the HA charger/discharger regime), as a user/owner self service, but to be useful it has to become an ongoing maintenance. I personally believe that reconditioning will not make a battery last forever, but a battery reconditioned in this fashion will last a lot longer than one not having the benefit of this process. Notwithstanding this, I still stand by my statement an old battery is an old battery and will never be a new battery.