1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is This Normal? Combo Meter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hybrid Hobo, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm still actively shopping for a used Prius...the market is INSANE right now. Going to look at one tomorrow. When I spoke with the owner, I specifically asked if any warning lights are on, or if there are any issues with the dashboard/combination meter. He said that all of the dash lights (combo display lights) went out 2 times in the past 2 or 3 years, but came back on a minute or two later. Other than that, no problems.

Has anyone experienced this before? I know the combination meters are big issues in the older Prius', and I'm wondering if this might be due simply to a bad connection, or maybe something deeper, like the meter is starting to fail.

Should I be overly concerned, or is it common for the combo lights to go off & then back on every now and again?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a loose wire, but could also be a bad board. there i s nothing common to prius that isn't common to most any car, save for a few expensive items like hybrid battery or brake actuator.

but chasing down electrical gremlins in any vehicle can be a nightmare.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just changed the combo meter out when you get the car. $150 fixed part price or fix it yourself. Problem will be fixed for good.

There are way more scarier things to worry about on a used Prius

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not normal, but not terribly rare either.

You could start here:
    combo meter | PriusChat
    What happens when the dash goes out is that it's hard to shut off the car.

There's an undersized capacitor in the combo meter that fails gradually. Lots of parts to take apart, but not all that hard to do. It's one of the most common faults on the Gen 2, which is pretty much a tank otherwise. If you're comfortable soldering, it's a cheap fix.

JC91006 likes this.
  5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Even if the combination meter goes out: 1) yes it is annoying but it's not "immediately going to strand you in the middle of an intersection" critical & 2) depending on your skills (or access to someone else's skills) can be very cheap to moderately pricey to repair. Yes, the meter can wig out here and there for a time before it gets worse- depends on the temperature, condition of the 12V battery and the failing capacitor.

Other "common" Gen2 problems include: HV battery failure, brake actuator failure, catalytic converter (theft), bladder type fuel tank problems. These things that CAN go wrong - but not necessarily WILL be an (immediate) problem on yours.

If you are going to pay someone else (ie, a dealer mechanic) then don't get an old Prius. Buy a conventional car like a Corolla or Civic. If you (and or a relative or friend) has mechanical skills, tools, a place to work and a DIY attitude, then a Prius can be a good car for you.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Known problem with a known fix. See the thread at the top of this forum. However, be aware that if it goes out while you are driving there will be no speedometer or gear indicator or pretty much anything else useful. You will literally be driving blind, as far as the state of the car goes. Also, in that state the car will sometimes not turn off normally. If that happens hold down the power button for a long time and it will shut down. Pretty much just like a PC.

Another likes this.