1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by iSphinx, Jun 11, 2013.

1. iSphinx

iSphinx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hello!! I recently got my Prius C a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it! I also love the fact that we have our own family and community to help each other out!! I've been reading upon this threads for a few days and constantly learning something new!

However being new a new hybrid owner and after reading a handful of threads I have some concerns of my own and I'm hoping for some help/advice/input! :cry:

1. I'm not sure if this is normal or not but when I park, my car sometimes jerks upwards a little bit unless I pull the e-brake up first - is that normal??

2. Is there a "proper/correct" way to turn on/off the car?

Thank you in advance for any input/responses given!

2. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    1. yup

2. nope. i usually turn off my ac (if i have it on) and my radio

iSphinx likes this.
  3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1. It is just taking up the slack in the parking pawl. Normal.
    2. The Owner's Manual will tell you to put the car in Park and then hit the Power button to turn it off. You will find out that if you hit the Power button first it will put the car in Park as well. Either way works. I just prefer to hit Park first and then Power off.

As stated above it is a good idea to turn off the AC first and let it run for a few minutes to let the coil cool down to keep condensation from forming on the coil. This can lead to a musty smell coming form the vents.

AliIzad, minkus and iSphinx like this.
  4. iSphinx

iSphinx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks guys!!!

5. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You should be using your parking brake anyways. Always set the parking brake before you remove your foot from
    the foot brake pedal. When releasing the parking brake, always apply the foot brake first. This will keep the weight of the car from resting on the parking pawl and reduce driveline loading.

6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It will save the pawl in the long run if you park on hills, thus saving you from having to rebuild your tranny too early.

iSphinx likes this.
  7. iSphinx

iSphinx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It makes sense now, because my last car (Honda '04 CR-V) didn't have that much of a kickback when I parked which I guess took me by surprise

8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm sure it got worse depending on the hills incline. Did you ever park on a steep hill without your parking brake and have to pop it out of park? That pop is the pawl being stressed.

9. iSphinx

iSphinx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No, where I live in Houston there's really no hills

ztanos likes this.
  10. type17volkswagen

type17volkswagen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'll have to try this. I can't imagine that the car has a power operated shift lever so how does it shift the car into park by hitting the power button?

11. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    JD is thinking of all the other Prius models, which have an electronic shift paddle that returns to the rest position after each shift and thus does not have to be put into Park before powering down.

The C, of course, has a standard shifter whose state is not affected by hitting the power button, so you always have to shift it to Park manually.

iSphinx likes this.
  12. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Have you attempted it? I thought we had an electronic shifter as well, with the old style shift handle to make the transition to hybrids easier for noobs... I'll try this on my way home tonight, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry about that. I forgot that the c has a different shifter than the other Prii.

14. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    (EDIT: Oops... others answered this already, but with slightly less detail, so I'll just leave it here)

Not in a Prius c, which doesn't have the "joystick" style shifter, but instead has a more traditional shifter that looks a lot like those found in a regular auto. It needs to be physically pushed forward into the Park position when turning the car off.

The C1 and C2 (without SKS) will not let you remove the key from the ignition unless the shifter is in Park.

The C3 and C4 (with SKS) will not turn off unless the shifter is in Park. If you are in READY mode and press the Power button with the shifter in any position other than Park, it will show a warning message saying "SHIFT TO P POSITION", flash the warning indicator light and go from READY to Accessory mode, not actually turn off.

If you then move the shifter to P, another warning message will show saying "TURN POWER OFF" to remind you that you still need to press the Power button again.

There are other warnings for opening the driver's door without the shifter in Park or for attempting to lock the car when it's not actually off.

Basically you have to shift it to P yourself before turning off.

Good luck with that. As above, the car will school you on how to work it if you try. :)

ftl likes this.
  15. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Good to know. That's what I was wondering. I knew it had an electronic shift mechanism with a mechanical switch, so wasn't sure how that would react.

16. iSphinx

iSphinx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I believe it also starts beeping to remind you, because one time I had to run out the car real quick back into my garage and the keys were clipped to my belt loop and it started beeping until the keys were near the car again.

17. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I know it beeps if you open the door before turning it off.

18. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    There are a lot of beeps it will give out... basically the car does get quite upset and make a bit of a fuss if you get out without turning the car off properly, or open the driver's door without the shifter in Park.

iSphinx likes this.