1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this normal

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by johnnychimpo, Oct 18, 2021.

1. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I upgraded my engine from gen three to gen four in the process I serviced the trans.
    I drained the fluid at 189K it was black I suspect it had not been done before.
    I drove the car for about 8k so drained it this weekend and it came out grey silver slightly blueberry greyish.
    Planning to do it again till fluid it red. Now if you look at the pic there is tiny metal shavings I suspect this is normal wear on the trans of this age or am i looking a potential trans failure. only issue on trans is on occasion I hear a clunk when the engine starts of stops. its rare but I have heard other folks experience the same thing so I suspect this is normal the sound that is.

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You don't have to change the fluid again, just keep it. It doesn't have to be bright red.

There's nothing more you can do to prolong that transaxle, if it fails (which nobody knows when this will occur), then you replace it. Other than that, just enjoy the car. Don't change the fluid for another 60k+ miles

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Didn't you change the damper a few months ago?

4. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    yes and it worked great. This is just me doing preventative maintenance.