1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this plug for fog lights?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Blackcar, Oct 15, 2022.

1. Blackcar

Blackcar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was installing fog lights and I see a plug that is not connected to anything...(see pic white plug at the center of the photo). Is a plug for the fog to an existing fog light connection? If so, why it is only on the driver side?

Attached Files:

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm having trouble getting my bearings in your photo. Is this behind the front bumper, and is the black connector down at the bottom the one (eight poles, I think?) that connected to the bumper harness, and you disconnected that when taking the bumper off?

If so, that white one is a puzzle to me. I'm not seeing it in my 2010 US wiring diagram, but then (a) there was a face lift in 2012 that could have changed things, and (b) your profile doesn't say if you're in the US or another region.

I'm not familiar with the speaker-looking thing behind it, either. Is that for the vehicle proximity notification spaceship sound?

In my 2010, anyway, the fog circuit goes through that 8-pole connector at the bottom, and the bumper harness is where the connectors for the fog lights are. It's a light-green wire through position 1 of the eight-pole connector (again, according to a 2010 wiring diagram).

3. Blackcar

Blackcar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for the response. The pic is of a 2013 prius 3, area behind the front bumper on the driver side. The connector mentioned was not connected to anything when I first saw it. I disconnected a larger black connector to remove the bumper. I test fitted it and it appears to fits a h11 plug. Maybe it is a fog connector but missing a wired plug to the passenger side? I will look for the fog section in the toyota website after.

4. Blackcar

Blackcar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I saw this wire harness under bumper section. Some Toyota sites have Headlight harness while others don't. However, I found another harness part that was for head light and specified in a drawing. The drawing for the part below looks like it is for the fogs. Anyone know about this part?
    Wire Harness - Toyota (82113-47180)

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    PNC 82113 is the harness that goes in the bumper all right. I see there are three versions listed for a 2013 Prius, and the -47180 version says it's the one that came in the cars with LED headlights, and I think those are the ones that got the factory fogs, so that's almost certainly the one.

6. Blackcar

Blackcar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for you input. I will keep this in my notes if I decide to attempt to further mod the fogs switch to the oem stalk

7. Blackcar

Blackcar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I did buy a version of the 82113 harness, which came in three flavors for 2010. I'm pretty sure I bought the one that came in cars with LED headlights, which were the ones that also came with fogs. It wasn't the cheapest one (missing fog wiring, that was the one already there), and it wasn't the most expensive one, with forward radar wiring. But the specific part numbers for 2010 and 2013 may be different.

Funny that they call it "headlight wiring harness" in the catalog, when I think it really serves all the bumper gizmos except the headlights, whose connectors I think are part of the engine room main harness.

9. Blackcar

Blackcar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The headlight description was really confusing... good to know that is the correct part for your early version gen 3.

So I saw that you had to use the terminal repair kit pin 82998-24350 and tap into pin 8 on the 2c connector.
    Where was the other side of the connection via engine bay?

Also the 2c connector would be the same one as the engine ignition used with the fog setup with the dash button?

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought some wire (even bought green, to match the diagram), and ran it from 2C pin 8, poked through the firewall grommet, and followed the engine wire harness to CA1 pin 1 behind the left fender. That way an unmodified 82113 harness with the fog wires just plugs right in.

I'm not sure how to read your third paragraph.

11. Blackcar

Blackcar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry about that
    I meant to ask where is the 2c connector located?

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On the instrument panel junction block, which is the thing with fuses on its bottom face. 2C is one of the connectors on the face that faces the driver. (2A and 2B are harder to reach, on the face that faces the firewall.)

[​IMG]

13. Blackcar

Blackcar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is very helpful. I thought the 2c was in the cabin. Where is the CA1 connector located?

I just bought a manual via ebay but I haven't looked at it yet... hope that I can understand it when I need it. I have only done work mostly via videos.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    CA1 is behind the left fender, at the left corner of the bumper, where the matching plug on the bumper wire harness is.

15. Blackcar

Blackcar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you again. If so, the wire goes from 2c engine bay to ca1 bumper.... doesn't need to go through the firewall.

Feeling pump to do this... If I do this, I will add led light bars for the existing connections I have for my fog via dash button.

Just another signal stalk I saw on ebay that fits 3rd gen prius according to the seller communicated via ebay message.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/324996214863

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2C is a connector on the instrument panel junction block.

Unless you plan to relocate the instrument panel outside the cabin, getting from 2C to CA1 will require penetrating the firewall.

Thanks for the report about the stalk. I've started a list on the wiki for part numbers that should fit.

#16 ChapmanF, Nov 18, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  17. Blackcar

Blackcar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks I was reading it wrong from the picture description. I understand your description now.
    So just get 2 quantity in 82998-24350 pins for each connector to make the connection.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Position 8 in connector 2C takes a non-waterproof, 1.5 mm female terminal, 82998-24350.

Position 1 in connector CA1 takes a waterproof, 2.3 mm series II terminal. CA1 is a connection between two wire harnesses, so both a male and a female terminal are involved. The wire to be added needs the male one (the female one will be part of the 82113 bumper harness that has fog wiring). The male one is 82998-12430.

Toyota will sell the terminals with short lengths of wire preattached. They'd be attached to your own wire using the yellow crimp sleeves, as Elektroingenieur kindly described here.

19. Blackcar

Blackcar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got the pin in for the ca1 connector, but I don't see the unlock tab for the 2c connector.

Attached Files:

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2clance.png

The picture shows "double lock type / housing lance". So, there's a secondary lock, a plastic bar across the whole connector, which you can see having been popped slightly downward (in the picture above). Usually there are a couple of notches along it where your removal tool can fit to pop it. You might have to remove the mating lever handle from the connector to get access to that secondary lock.

Once that is released, you can see the individual terminal lance is a part of the plastic housing, and you release it by inserting your removal tool from the front. But I'm guessing you don't have a terminal in there to begin with ... ? So you probably only need to deal with the secondary lock.

You can find all these pictures and descriptions in the wiring diagrams online, by the way, in case you have this kind of question and nobody comes by right away with an answer.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat