1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this procrastination or being lazy or what?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Higgins909, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is kinda random and this forum probably isn't the best place for this... I'm not sure if I'm procrastinating or just being lazy or something else. (Looking for what this is called) I have this list of things that need to be done kinda, but I keep putting them off. Some examples are, I want to learn a 2nd language, have bought 3 different language books, have read only a couple pages out of any of them. Computer Programming books, same thing. Harry Potter, same thing. I usually use the excuse I'm too tired or hungry to read/study. (It's also comes with poor comprehension)

I could read a machine manual for work and learn how to operate the machine and potentially get a raise. I ended up taking time and money to find a PDF and print it out properly. (I can't study on screens for some reason, books work better... or maybe not) This is for 3 different machines... although I've only really tried to remotely learn 2 of them. CAD/CAM for work, books on the shelf, unread. I want to further my education, but I tell myself that I can't even get these things done so why bother.

I usually find myself doing something on the internet completely pointless, like looking at motorcycles/scooter that I don't have the license or space for. Getting a different car, comparing random things to find out what is the best and if I were to ever get one, I would get "that one". Scrolling though facebook every minute, even though my feed hasn't updated in 3 hours. Also binge watching Netflix while I'm doing most of this on the computer. (have 2 monitors, but I don't closely watch Netflix and barely remember names)

Dang, this looks pretty bad/sad,
    Higgins909

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sound like a millennial :p.

I manage several of them, and we work on prioritization as well as finding one positive thing in everything they do;).

Positive reinforcement goes along way toward satisfaction and sustained growth:).

Happy holidays(y).

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am retired and have so many intrest in different subjects I don't know what will strike my fancy any given day.
    I am somewhat obcessed with doing things myself.

4. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I recommend signing up with a structured course, either on line or at a college, where you would follow an instructor's direction. As long as you're committed to staying up with the coursework, and utilizing the teacher for extra support when needed, you should be successful.

Another alternative, for learning a language, would be to purchase Babbel or Rosetta Stone that are prepackaged, self-teaching courses. These seem to be successful for many. Also, once you progress far enough in a particular language, I would recommend enrolling in a class that offers conversational instruction.

Good luck, and have fun!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds to me like your happy and content. stop telling yourself you need/want to do these things, and wasting money on them.

enjoy the net, there's much to be learned here as well

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Higgins909 I clicked on your avatar, expecting to see an age 40~50. I'd say you're pretty self-aware for a 22 year old, and it'll fall into place, don't need to sweat it.

Think of it like a Sudoku: you cannot burrow in at any one spot, solve it. It takes a patience, a nudge here and there, and gradually the pieces come together.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You probably have ADD look it up be honest with your symptoms.

There are various levels of ADD too. Once you know you can be aware of it and try to focus better.

ADD affects everything in your life.

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ahhh. P vs. NP.

P vs NP Problem | Clay Mathematics Institute

Can get $1M for solving it, if you can.....

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Advice on motorcycles:
    Take an MSF course first....even if you’ve been “riding all your life.”
    Trust me...
    Advice on scooters:
    Remember that they’re more dangerous than motorcycles because people on both sides of the handlebars do not respect them as much.

When you get to be an old fart like me and you look back over the arc that your life has taken you will probably wish that you had saved a little more for retirement, eaten a little better, spent more time with family and friends, but mostly just reveling in the pure joy of having more days in front of the windshield than in the rear-view-mirror.

Try not to spend too many of those days worrying about little stuff....cause when you get to this side of the field?
    You find out that most of it was.

Tried to read Potter twice, and the second time I cheated by getting all of the books from the library in unabridged audio.

They’re right next to Pride and Prejudice in the Unread folder on my computer....
    Maybe third time’s the charm.

....There’s still time yet. ;)

KennyGS likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try Cormac McCarthy. (y)

11. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Excellent advice!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    John Lennon sang, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans".

I've found this to be often very true.
    So I don't worry about sometimes missing the ideal things I might think I "plan" or should do.

That being said?
    Whatever it is you want to do? Read that book, learn a second language, learn anything new....
    If you REALLY want to do it? DO IT.

But don't stress out, if something comes up and distracts you from the end. Just persevere if it's important enough to you.
    The key IMO is it has to be important enough to you.
    Also, I don't think you can do everything you might plan or want to do at once. But pick 1 goal, that you do want to accomplish, and organize a time and approach to actually doing it. Don't let yourself be distracted. It can be as simple as saying, I'm reading 20 minutes a day of this book....every day.
    Once you get into, whatever it is,- you might find it's a lot easier to do, or a lot more engrossing than you think. My problem is sometimes once I get into a book or series of books, it can actually dominate my time.
    Also, sometimes if you give an earnest attempt at something, you can discover that it's just really something you don't want to do. I think we'd all like to be able to speak multiple languages, or play a musical instrument BUT some of us just don't have the time, or the real fundamental reason or motivation to do so.
    I tend to think if something REALLY is important enough, we then find ways to get it done. If we can't really get past the 1st chapter of the Language Book? Maybe learning that language isn't as important to us as we thought?

A little bit of organization, can go a long way to actually getting things done.
    The answer can be as simple as determining how important the challenge actually is to you, and then NOT procrastinating about doing it. And organizing a way to get it done.

Forgive yourself if you discover something you thought you wanted to do, really isn't something you want to do.

Mendel Leisk likes this.