1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this really a bad ECM?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by harpstar13, Sep 27, 2018.

1. harpstar13

harpstar13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi there,

We have a 2005 Prius that started running really rough and check engine light came on while driving it home. After that, whenever we tried to start it up the shaking/rough idle would continue and then the car would stall. Husband also reported to me that he smelled sulfur.

We took it to a mechanic who said it had 2 bad ignition coils and spark plugs which he replaced. $600 later, the car is running better, no smell and the rough shuddering is gone - but the check engine light is still on. At start up it takes a few seconds longer than usual for the engine to engage and I can hear this little hiccup in the engine, although it seems to go away when I start driving. Drives fine.

The mechanic said it was still misfiring and that it had ECM problems. He said I needed to take it to a Toyota dealership soon and not to drive it too much or I ran the risk of damaging the catalytic converter.

The problem with this is that a trip to a dealership requires a full day off from work and a ferry ride which is very costly. Before I do this - does anyone agree that the ECM could be causing this problem or should I get a second opinion? Is there anyway for me to reboot it myself? (If that's the right term). Or should I really take it to the dealership?

Thanks for any advice!

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What codes did the mechanic report, after the coil and SP replacement?

Order mini VCI off Amazon ($25-$35). Prime shipping, 2 days arrival. The hacked Tech stream software that comes w/ the cable or avail off Internet, will give you dealer level diagnostic capability. Tech stream is what the dealers use b/c it was written for Toyota/Lexus, and approved by Toyota.

Best installed in a old 32bit Windows OS (XP, Vista, 7) laptop. Ask friends/family/coworkers if they know anyone in IT. This person will likely have a few obsolete laptops collecting dust. Install on a Mac is possible; you will have to research this yourself.

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles on this vehicle, and have you owned it for very long?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can disconnect the 12v negative for an hour. and check the gas cap.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The check engine light is usually emissions related, not ECM issue. The misfiring could be a number of issues and there should be codes stored for this error.

I would have him clean the throttle body and MAF sensor first. Then check the fuel injectors.