1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this really the hybrid battery going bad?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Curtanu, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Curtanu

Curtanu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Huh..interesting. I thought that the block would be low all the time, if it was going bad. So, it could still be the battery slowly dying. [I bought one of the Prolong battery conditioners. Guess I can try that & see if the problem goes away.]

On the other hand, maybe the P0A7A code is actually the problem? It's the only code that is anything near consistent. "Generator inverter performance". Or maybe there's some corrosion somewhere -- note the leaky roof and the fact that I live right at the coast.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No doubt they are a real company, though I've never heard of anyone outside of the Honda community ever using one of their NEW battery packs before.

Are these packs filled with Shenzhen Yabopower Technology Co., Ltd. cells, or something else?

Does the pack fit inside the same space as Gen2 battery case?

Could you please elaborate on the 8amp hour discussion or possibly provide a link?

Would assume your friend has been monitoring the new pack closely, is the time right for the Prius community to support Bumblebee and this battery?

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not know what supplier they use. Not sure if they are using same as the rest of their products or someone new.

I have used Yabo in the past for building
    Honda packs and have great results. Never had a pack go bad yet.
    And some of mine have been installed well beyond 3 year warranty period.

Yes, you can fill the pack code with cylindrical cells/sticks.

I really have nothing more to say about 8amp hour discussion. Been at this too long and hashed it over in person and at Honda meet ups long ago. Maybe you can do some Google home on Honda Insight web forums for detailed discussion.

Bumblebee has a stellar reputation to protect. There is no way they would sell something that isn't high quality. They are obsessive really. In a good way. If they say it is good, I believe them. In addition I had another highly reputable Hybrid mechanic independently tell me he has been using g them for a while as well, and has impressed on how well it works.

SFO likes this.
  4. Curtanu

Curtanu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had always intended to post a follow up -- a conclusion, if you will; an epilogue, a denouement, a post-op, a final chapter. As it were.

So here, at long last, it is:

1. I did try the Prolong charger, and it cleared up the battery problem. I've had to re-do it a couple times, since the original post & discussion. But the hybrid batter seems to be chugging along fine, still. SOLVED.
    2. I eventually took a garden hose to the outside roof above the hatchback, to figure out where the rain leak problem originated. Wish I had done it sooner!! Turned out to be exceedingly obvious & pretty simple fix. The gasket around one of the hinges for the hatchback was completely unseated. I just had to finagle the gasket into its proper place, and voila, no more rain leak. Took an hour or more, but cost was $0. SOLVED. [Alas, it seems to have rusted out something in the release mechanism for the hatchback lock -- so now I can only open the hatchback by crawling inside & manually flicking the release lock.]
    3. I gather from a cousin who also has a Prius that there is a common problem with the wiring on the steering wheel. I.e., the wires can become damaged over time and lose connection of some of the buttons located on the steering wheel. I should search for that here in PriusChat, but have not done so; just going on what my cousin told me, that this is a common problem. As my car stands, most of the buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel have stopped working, and did so not terribly long after the one sparking incident. This wearing out of wires down the steering column is, I conjecture, the cause of both the spark incident and the loss of button function. At least, there have been no further electric arcs. EXPLAINED.

bisco, Mendel Leisk and SFO like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Regarding #3, things like trip meter selection or reset are only available on the steering wheel? That's a pain.

6. Curtanu

Curtanu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is a pain, yes. Though on my model [2006 for the front part of the rebuilt car], the trip meter button is not on the steering wheel, but rather on the dashboard. In my case, the buttons that don't work are: INFO (to display the battery level & current MPG), air recirc, front defrost, & rear defrost. I can get to all those things via the dashboard screen (but obviously not as convenient as when the buttons worked!)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats on the great work!
    it is called a clock spring, or spiral cable. a very common issue. if you decide to tackle it, there are lots of threads here, and probably youtube.

don't buy a chinese junk replacement. go oem or salvage if you can find a good one.

Curtanu and SFO like this.
  8. Curtanu

Curtanu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    BTW, I took some pics of the leak problem. Figured I'd post them, in case anyone's interested.

Note the suspicious gap at the top:
    cIMG_2221.jpg

Here's a close-up:
    cIMG_2239.jpg

And shoot, while I'm at it... here's my cat, helping me fix it:
    cIMG_2240.jpg