1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this the brake actuator?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Joseph Charles, Dec 26, 2023.

1. Joseph Charles

Joseph Charles New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I’ve done research to solve 1/2 problems with this Prius I’m currently driving.

#1: whining, clicking, almost burp like sounds while braked is the brake actuator. (Problem identified, not solved.)

#2: a buzzing ever 5-10 seconds near constant when parked or car off and key is in the car. I have not been able to verify if it persists while I’m not in the car. Is this this buzz (it sounds like a cliché droid or robot *weeehhhhhh*). Super annoying and paired with pumping clicks or burps from the breaks is awful.

Any suggestions?

#1 Joseph Charles, Dec 26, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2023
  2. Joseph Charles

Joseph Charles New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry for the typos. Is that buzz also an actuator issue? Or separate?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sounds like you've got the accumulator that can't keep up the pressure and it sets off the buzzer alarm when the pressure comes up that buzzer goes off but then the sound of the pump is always running when you shut the car off or sitting in there quietly sounds like it

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the car you're talking about is a Gen 3, there are two assemblies under the hood to do with the brakes:

[​IMG]

The "actuator" is the top one, the "pump" is the bottom one.

The every 5–10 second buzzing you hear is probably the pump running, and 5–10 seconds is way too often. Every few hours is more like it when the brakes are ok.

But of course these two units are interconnected ... even when the repeated sound you're hearing is the pump running (the bottom thing), the reason it has to run that often is likely to be the actuator (the top thing).

Joseph Charles likes this.