1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is This The New PiP Transaxle?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Jeff N, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Follow the link to this new article and scroll down to the sidebar titled:

"Is this the 2017 Prius Plug-in Two-Mode Transmission?":

Revenge of the Two-Mode Hybrid - HybridCars.com

iplug, giora and usbseawolf2000 like this.
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lexus Hybrid Drive had a two speed HSD with a clutch back in 2007 with GS450h.

This appears to be advancements on Gen3 Prius with two clutches added.

Here is the cleaned up version to reveal the elegant setup.

Toyota-transmission-patent-simplified.jpg

#2 usbseawolf2000, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    Jeff N likes this.
  3. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Right, but that wasn't a "Prius", it's a dated design that may not have a future, and I thought it would confuse things if I brought it up.

Your modified illustration looks slick. I tried to arrange my version to contrast the similarities and differences between the Toyota and GM designs.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just realized you wrote that article. (y)

I think the use of clutch in Lexus Hybrid Drive should be mentioned. Otherwise, it would sound like Toyota is copying GM, especially coming from reading that title.

#4 usbseawolf2000, Nov 5, 2015
  5. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    That older Lexus design is very different from this one. It only used clutches and a Ravigneaux gear to changed the speed reduction gear ratio of MG2.

It looks like this:

image.png

Wikipedia says:

6. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know if this is the arrangement Toyota is planning for the next plug-in, but if yes - does this indicate that the next plug-in will not have Gen 4 body? (or at least not exactly the same?)

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought the pics were a bit different?

if correct, what advantages might this gain for the next pip?

#7 bisco, Nov 5, 2015
  8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Per the leaked pictures, there was the green and blue one, exterior looks different enough but gotta be based on the same platform.

If this setup is used in PiP2, the transaxle may not be thin enough for the aux 12v battery to fit under the hood.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not a big deal, imo, but what advantage would it gain?

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    More or less cargo space. Better for PiP to have more room back there for bigger PHV pack and spare tire.

bisco likes this.
  11. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    The big advantage in this new transaxle is the dual motor mode. The gen 4 MG2 was reduced to 53 kW and MG1 cannot help out.

If Toyota doubles the battery capacity of the next Prius PHEV that will roughly double the power output of the pack to about 75 kW. Dual motor mode will allow both MG1 and MG2 and their respective inverter circuits to be additively combined in order to fully utilize the higher pack output without having to scale up the motors and inverters. The 2016 Volt plays the same trick.

Tideland Prius and bisco like this.
  12. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am somewhat impaired at interpreting these mechanical designs :(. What is accomplished by hooking the secondary planet carrier to the primary planet carrier/ICE rather than having it locked to the transmission case? It would seem to only make a difference if the ICE were turning. TIA for any enlightenment.

#12 CharlesH, Nov 5, 2015
  13. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Dual motor mode hooks up the two carrier gears while the carriers are also being grounded so the effect is to lock up the ICE. This then allows MG1 to drive the ring gear through a gear reduction just like MG2 when driving only on the battery.

The two carrier gears can also be clutched together when the ICE is running but in that case the carriers are not grounded. Basically, hooking up in that situation allows power to recirculate mechanically from MG2 back to the first planetary gear set instead of doing that electrically at highway speeds so it is more efficient. Toyota recirculates power back to the ICE whereas GM recirculates back to the Sun gear.

So, there is a significant difference in how the higher-speed eCVT modes work between the two. I haven't looked into it carefully enough yet to understand the different tradeoffs involved.

CharlesH likes this.
  14. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OK. I see. Normally, if MG1 is powered, it is going to act as a starter for the ICE, or alternatively it could be turning the ICE without fuel to moderate MG1 speed or get compression braking. But if the planetary gears are connected together and grounded (locked to the transmission case), then the power from MG1 can only go out the ring gear toward the wheels. Thus, MG1 can contribute to accelerating the car, rather than requiring the ICE to kick in to help. Addressing the common PIP complaint "I stepped on the gas pedal too hard and the #^%@ ICE started". Will MG1 really be more powerful than the ICE?

In the second scenario, the planetary gears are connected together, but not grounded, and the ICE turns. You say that this results in mechanical energy being routed back to the first gear set, specifically to the ICE. Why would one want to do that? Really asking the same question in the context of the Gen III transaxle, when would one want to electrically send energy back to the first gear set?

#14 CharlesH, Nov 5, 2015
    Chazz8 likes this.
  15. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    On a regular Prius steady highway cruising would switch to MG2 generating and MG1 acting as a motor. Mechanically connecting the carriers presumably allows a mechanical path for MG2 to provide some reactive torque back to add load to the engine to keep it within its optimal operating efficiency.

CharlesH likes this.
  16. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    That what I meant when saying possible body different from Gen 4 regular. Wider transaxle, possible larger motors and electronics, larger traction battery, place for 12V battery etc. may dictate different body to accommodate.

17. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm becoming uncomfortable with the term elegant design. The Gen 2 was truly remarkable with what it could achieve with only one planatery gear. Whilst I'm all for the advancement of technology, multiple gearsets and multiple clutches brings us rapidly closer to the un-elgant auto gearboxes of the past.

18. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    It is more complicated and has clutches.
    Maybe Toyota filed the patent to be used on future Lexus plug-in? Other non Prius one?
    It seems to me it will fit best cars that prioritize EV driving (speed and power demand) over efficiency, not Prius philosophy - but maybe I am wrong.

19. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Sort of.

Yes, having the ICE locked up allows MG1 to help drive the car just using the battery but the issue with "PHEV blending" (stepping on the accelerator too hard) is mostly about the capability of the battery pack to output large amounts of power.

The first Prius Plug-in had a battery limited to 38 kW of output. That can all easily be used by its 60 kW MG2 to drive the car without starting the gas engine. If you scaled up the battery size and output capability and scaled up MG2 a little you could easily turn a future Prius Plug-in into an EREV meaning that it would no longer blend in the gas engine until the usable charge in the battery gets used up.

The advantage of adding clutches here is that it allows MG1 to help out and thus MG2 and its inverter and other power electronics can me kept smaller. And while you are adding clutches for that, you might as well add a second eCVT mode that can help further optimize higher speed driving. The result is a "Two-Mode" or "Multimode" transaxle that uses clutches to control the mechanical power flow through the transaxle at different vehicle speeds and torque demands.

CharlesH likes this.
  20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Perhaps they plan to use smaller ICE with PiP2. That's a possibility to keep the 12v under the hood but we'll have to see.

Larger motors may not be needed as it can combine the output of both MG1 and MG2.

Your Prius v wagon also has two planetary gearsets. Really, only two clutches are addition.

Emcguy likes this.