1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this the right freeway driving strategy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by burritos, Feb 21, 2006.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

I think may have misunderstood me. When I say I look ahead 1/2 mi ahead, I'm not saying that the car in front of me is 1/2 mi ahead, I'm saying that if I see braking the traffic 1/2 mi ahead of me, then I won't accelerate. I notice that people right in front of me will speed up only to brake. I'll coast to their back. Usually they will be 5-6 car lengths ahead. Now note, this is when average traffic speeds are 30 mph or less(basically stop and go). When traffic speed are more than this, then it's no longer stop and go and there no need to coast as people aren't really braking, thus I no longer apply this strategy.

In stop and go traffic, are you advising that you speed up to stopped traffic ahead of you? And then brake suddenly?

Also if you think this method is inefficient how do you explain IsrAmeriPrius's post?

"Don't know about your experiences, but the other day it took me an hour and twenty minutes to drive on the southbound I405 from the US101 to the Howard Hughes Parkway, a distance of about fifteen miles. My nerves were frayed, but the car got well in excess of 80 MPG in that segment (most bars showed 99 MPG). I had about 100 miles on that tank, at the time, and the average MPG climbed more than 10% in those fifteen miles from the low fifties to almost sixty."

2. SpaceCadet

SpaceCadet New Member

Actually, in Michigan the law is the exact oppostie. On ANY road with only two lanes in one direction, you are REQUIRED to use the left lane ONLY for passing. On any roadway with three or more lanes moving in the same direction (most expressways in Urban Michigan) the above does not apply. Although you could still be sited for "obstructing traffic."

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(vlohin3xkdt...ame=mcl-257-634

3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The sad truth is we are driving like maniacs in this country now and we used to be the best. In CA the tractor trailers are limited to 55, they do 65. Other traffic is limited to 65, they to 85. Trucks are constantly falling over on their side on entrances and exits of freeways. This shows a total disregard of safety or common sense. I drive 60 in the right lane and I"m always in somebodys way, because they want to pass and don't care if they pass left or right, (unfortunately, legal in CA) On surface streets it's even worse, people ducking in and out of traffic to stop at starbucks just before you. OR in a hurry to get to work, that always kills me. Some drivers entering the freeway are totally unaware that they are supposed to yield right of way. So, you can't win no matter how safe you drive, you are always going to be in somebodys way, then they give you the finger for simply existing. You really have no right to exist on the same roadway with them, how dare you???

4. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually, in Illinois (where both Tony & I live) the law is exacty as I said.

"Effective January 2004, when driving on an interstate highway or full access controlled freeway, a person may not drive in the left lane, except when passing another vehicle. Exceptions include when no other vehicle is directly behind the vehicle being driven in the left lane, when traffic conditions/congestion make it impractical to drive in the right lane, when weather conditions make it necessary to use the left lane, when there is an obstruction or hazard in the right lane, or when the driver is changing lanes to yield to emergency or construction vehicles."
    http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publicat.../rr_chap03.html

According to that, the rule about keeping right on full access controlled freeway has only been in effect in Illinois since Jan. 2004.