1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this the right time to buy? Went to dealer today.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Peakbagr, Feb 9, 2010.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    hlkc, when you say trim III 'with audio', are you talking about an audio package different than what the basic III comes with ?

MSRP for the base III is 23,800, so adding on 1,250 is about 25k, or paying list and getting a tint thrown in. I must be missing something.

One other point to consider: if the dealer has any cars on the lot that arrived before Toyota increased prices, I think the customer is on firm ground in using the older pricing scheme. In fact, since the price increase was a Toyota response to high demand that has evaporated, I would just ignore the new pricing, period.

Tell the dealer that while you *completely* understand their side of things, you have to include a market adjustment.

Dealer: WHAT market adjustment !?!
    You: What *this* market will bare.

And by the way, mention that your SO thinks you are nuts buying a car with defective brakes, but you like Toyota, and are willing to gamble that a fix will come along before the car kills you.

In short, feed the dealer all the BS and spin they feed customers.

2. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was referring III with Nav and I thought the MSRP is $26.5K and base III MSRP is $24.5K base on Toyota.com.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I think the difference is delivery charge.
    If the seat charge of $1250 is msrp, and the tint is $200, list price is about $28k by my reckoning.

I have read before that dealer markup from invoice to list on the base car is 10%, holdback is 2 - 3%, and markup on packages is ~ 30%. If this is true, then the dealer no profit starting line is .91(22,800) - .03(28,000) + 0.77(5,200) = $23,912.

This assumes no additional dealer incentives, and using the new Toyota pricing.
    I say start your offer at $22,500, and go up to $23,500 if you are feeling generous and the dealer throws in mats, bumper protector, storage webbing etc.

Why start at $1500 less than "cost" ?
    For one, the delivery charge is horribly inflated;
    two, use old Toyota pricing;
    three, the car can easily sit another 3 - 6 months if you do not buy it. That is 1 - 2% more finance charges the dealer has to eat.

This is without considering additional dealer incentives that you may be unaware of.

Attached Files:

4. aapoppa

aapoppa formerly known as "Popoff"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Because VA is not in the SET territory. Vehicles there are not loaded with the extra expensive stuff such as the $700+ Toyoguard package many SET cars come in from the port with.

That being said, I got my V with Nav and no other extras in NC last June.