1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this the ugliest prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ajbdiaz, Apr 7, 2012.

1. jdh2550

jdh2550 Co-Founder, Current Motor Company

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Complete and utter FAIL - ugly and useless - quite a combination.

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    this one isn't too bad:

3. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    kinda neat, but i wouldn't want it on mine:

4. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if they'd picked the 10 best mods (the doors ain't one of em) and stopped there, it'd be very cool-- even the paint. but they just kept piling on stupid stuff and extra speakers until it's the quasimodo of Prii.

5. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Perhaps I'm too old school, but a hot rod has to sound good. The sewing machine motor with no gears doesn't seem like a proper hot rod motor. As long as it's sitting still they look good. Driving away, maybe not so much.

6. jdh2550

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nah, I'm with you. A hot rod has to be, well, hot. Souped up. Spitting fire out the exhaust not just pretty pictures on the side.

That's the trouble with most of these mods - they try and make the Prius into something it's not. If you want a street-rod buy one. If you want a rumbling V8 - buy one.

The Prius is a different kind of car so it needs a different kind of customization. Trouble is, just not sure what that is! I do like the LED lighting in the wheels - kind of goes with the silent sound. (silent sound? Did I just write that??)

7. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    We all have our place in the timeline of history. It takes some stretching to go pre- or post- our own portion, if you're up to it.

When I was a kid I remember seeing a winged Daytona coupe driving through town. What a sight. Also in my younger days, my BIL had a succession of muscle cars that molded my idea of what a car should be like: 64 GTO, 68 Roadrunner, 69 Chevelle SS396, 70 Cuda 340. My dad had a 65 Galaxie with a 390. The smells, sounds, feels, and aura surrounding those cars will be with me all my life. My prior 78 Vette and 66 Fairlane 500, along with my current Z28 reenforced the paradigm in my later years.

The guys I learned from had 50's coupes, the Barris cars, the Monkee Mobile. The guys that taught them had 30's Fords, Olds, and Model T's.

Kids growing up in the modern era only have Fast & Furious wings and phartcan mufflers to dig on. Put a wing and a can on any Civic and you have instant Hot Rod. But is that any real difference than putting air shocks on an old POS to get the jacked-up look back in the 70's? Put some box speakers stolen from your brother's stereo into the back seat and you were really in tall cotton. Just don't drop those 8 tracks or you'll mess 'em up good.

The Barris Prius is a joining of old an new. It works for some, not for others. But it keeps innovation alive and brings the idea of car building and modification to a new generation.

What we have in the modded Prii are foreign to us, but the next step in the evolution of the species. It may look odd to us, and make as much sense as backward ball caps and droopy drawers, and we don't have to like it all, but it isn't our place to like it. The future belongs to the people that build it.

sfv41901 and maestro8 like this.
  8. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're living up to your name here, Mr. Incredible. A great post that ends with a deep thought.

I hope this resonates with the community at large. The future certainly won't be any brighter for the folks who show up just to say...

9. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, but it's always been that way. The guys with the rocks insulted the guys with that new-fangled spear. The guys with the spears insulted the guys that used the brand new bow/arrow. Etc., until the guy that ALWAYS used 10w-40 in EVERYTHING insults the guys using 0w-20 in their new cars, and the guys that think the Prius in it's natural state can't be improved in any fashion and insult the guys that paint theirs in radical colors and *gasp* do something that might actually DE-crease mpgs.

But, it's entirely fitting and proper that everyone gets a free pass to insult people who can't wear a ball cap properly. Three generations of American youth have degraded intelligence to a point where they are incapable of the proper operation of a clothing item WITH NO MOVING PARTS.

JMO...

maestro8 likes this.
  10. jdh2550

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry didn't know I had to ask permission to have an opinion. I'll be sure to check with you next time.

Not sure why you think I just turned up to say that

And BTW I still think that car is a complete and utter FAIL. Did you read the thread title?

But I do agree with you on one thing- it was a good post by Mr.I

But I don't think them newfangled spears will ever catch on...