1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this washer part of water pump?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Krall, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Krall

Krall Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Was getting code P261B as part of my hybrid system failure warning light so decided to replace the water pump. Anyway, while disassembling it I heard a metallic clank and found this washer on top of the cross support in front of the radiator. I don't see how that came out of the water pump as it wasn't completely unbolted and it landed 10" away from the pump onto the support, but the dirt on it matches the orifice where the pump mounts into. Does anyone have any idea where it goes?

IMG_1155.jpg

2. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like it's a pretty large washer. Don't think it's a part of the water pump.

Krall likes this.
  3. Krall

Krall Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's so weird the the washer fits right in here:

prius water pump.png

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'll be able to be looking at that stuff live in about 45 minutes I don't think there's a washer that goes in that water pump cavity that's where your impeller from the electric pump sits in there The plastic notice there's a plastic there's the metal of the engine then plastic then the metal of the water pump sandwich together I'm pretty sure there's no large washer like that

Krall likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    times up!

Krall likes this.
  7. Krall

Krall Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    lol

I don't think it goes in the cavity either, but I don't know where the heck it fell from either. I guess I didn't try putting the washer in and then the pump to see if it would actually fit. What's also strange though is if I put the wash on the plastic impeller it lines up with the dark ring around the washer.

I've looked at parts diagrams and 4-5 videos now and see no mention of the washer.

bisco likes this.
  8. monoshock

monoshock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the washer is aluminum it may be a oil drain plug washer. Maybe one got left in the engine bay during a oil change.

Krall likes this.