1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Too Much EV A Bad Thing?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by REmmons, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I just had the oil changed in my Volt a few days after its 2 year mark with around 14,000 miles in hybrid mode out of a total 38,000 miles (I forgot to write down the exact mileage numbers).

The oil lifetime computer display still said it had a bit over 30% of its usability remaining. I suspect this is because I mostly use the engine on the highway for 15+ mile segments. My impression is that oil life is shortened by lots of brief cold starts and short driving distances typical of city driving.

JMD likes this.
  2. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Not everywhere has time of use metering, and it is voluntary in some place that do.

3. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is hogwash. Or mostly. Yes, power in the afternoon can be more expensive, if you live/work in an area that has Time of Use metering. The amount of power required to recharge this car will not have a huge effect on the grid. Over time, yes, it may become a bigger issue as more cars need to recharge during the afternoon, but I'm willing to bet that things like A/C, lighting, and computers, have a much bigger impact on the grid.

4. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    the point wasn't about $$$ but rather about "costs" to the grid and the environment.
    regardless, yeah, this mainly applies to summertime.

5. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Honda Fit EV is all electric so no oil to change.