1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

is touring model worth it?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by robinrs, Aug 20, 2008.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    A touring #6 is $520 more than a base #6.
    For what you get with the $520, it's a no brainer. And even if you're not into a sportier firmer ride, the avoidance and and stopping distance improvements are worth the difference alone.

2. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    oh i thought it was $895 more across the board, i stand corrected.

3. Luna3

Luna3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Touring Touring Touring Touring Touringgggggg!!!!

4. Code Blue

Code Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    >>For what you get with the $520, it's a no brainer. And even if you're not into a sportier firmer ride...<<

But a "sportier firmer ride" is not like the car's color. It affects your comfort every time you drive the car. It's apparent from other threads that some people like the "sportier" ride, and some flat-out don't. I prefer the ride in the standard version myself. Paying extra to be uncomfortable in your new car isn't a no-brainer.

It's apparent that a number of people with Touring models like them, but I don't think everyone with a regular one would trade, even straight up. Stopping distance is a strong argument, but not the only one.

I think the Touring model is worth it if you like the Touring model. I'd say, if someone really can't decide, they should get the Touring model. They'll probably have less buyer's remorse if they spend the extra. ("Less" isn't "none," though, as they might always wonder).

OTOH, they might get no-buyer's remorse if they're still waiting for a car in 2009 because the dealer hasn't been able to get in enough Touring models to take them off the waiting list.

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought I had read just about every post on PriusChat about the Touring.

While I could have easily missed it, I just don't recall reading a single post from either a Touring owner or someone who test drove a Touring, who said that the Touring's ride was harsh or even the slightest bit uncomfortable.

Instead, I've read many posts saying that the Touring handled much better, but the ride was still cushy. Which seems to make sense given that the Touring has the same front struts and springs as the Standard's, and the Touring's rear springs are actually softer than the Standard's.

As to pricing, the Touring with Option Package #2 costs $895 more than the Standard with Option Package #2. This $895 differential is the most that a Touring will cost more than a Standard Prius with the same Option Package.

For that $895 difference, the Touring gives you:

(1) Tuned Suspension, which consists of thicker front and rear stabilizer bars, and different rear shocks and springs,

(2) 16" Wheels (which IMO are also better looking than the Standard's), with better and wider 195/55/16 Bridgestone Turenza 400 El-02 Tires,

(3) Bigger Spoiler, and

(4) HIDs and Front Fog Lights.

Then the price differential drops as you go up in Option Package #s. So a Touring with Option Packages # 5 or 6 costs only $520 more than a Standard Prius with Option Packages # 5 or 6.

For that $520 difference, the Touring gives you items (1) - (3) listed above. Item (4)'s HIDs and Front Fog Lights are included in both the Touring and the Standard Prius at these Option Package levels, as the HIDs and Front Fog Lights are included in the Standard Prius with Option Package # 4 and above.

For me, the Touring at only $520 to $895 more than the Standard Prius, is a real bargain.

I, for instance, have already spent $870 for the BT Tech Stiffening Plate, the BT Tech Strut Tower Brace, and wider and better tires -- all in an effort to improve my Standard Prius' poor handling and braking to the better and safer level of the Touring's. And while I think I may have achieved or come close to that level of handling and braking, I still don't have the Touring's bigger and better looking wheels, bigger and better looking spoiler or HIDs and front fog lights (btw, I think Consumer Reports may have gotten broken or misadjusted HIDs on the Touring that it tested because all reports that I've read here say that the Prius' HIDs illuminate the road beautifully).

6. robinrs

robinrs New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi again - I'm the one who started all this and my husband and I are off to the toyota dealership - I think we're going to order the touring model - you all have provided us with great insights, some laughs, and good thoughts. My husband told me to reply that we bought a Chevy instead, but I couldn't be that cruel!

Now I'm going to be calculating the gas I'm wasting driving my mini-van until the Prius arrives!

Best to you all!

robin

7. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to Priuschat,

I drive the standard, and I am satisfied w/ the handling. I have been driving a F250 Superduty diesel truck, but that now sits in the driveway. If I need more performance, I got the m/c for zipping around the backroads.

Dbcassidy

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck Robin.

But is it possible for you to test drive a dealer's or a friend's Touring before you order it?

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If not, then you might want to at least test drive a Standard Prius. You might find that its handling and comfort are exactly what you want.

As to the much shorter and safer braking distances of the Touring, you can always achieve all or almost all of that by upgrading to wider and better tires. And you could probably do that with your dealer or an outside tire dealer when you purchase the car, and receive full credit for the new or almost new OEM Integrities.

10. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    As far as I know, everyone on this forum who has ever driven both and has written about it here has preferred the touring. The base model suspension is so much softer than every car I've ever owned that the Touring pretty brings up up to par with many other cars. When I drove the base model, it felt floaty and like a boat when trying to turn.

11. Shadestrades

Shadestrades New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a Touring w/ Pkg #2. The ride in the touring is noticeably better. It's not as nice a ride as being in a big caddy, but it's like comparing the ride in a Camry to the ride in a 2000 Honda Civic. The Touring Prius is more like the Camry in that comparison.

12. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Robin
    Congrats on your decision on buying a Prius. One final reflection on the Standard versus Touring. I visited a co-worker's house and showed her my brand spanking new Prius then took her and her husband for a little ride and pulled back into their driveway. I commented to her that 'oh your neighbor has a Prius too'. She responded by saying 'oh he's a pompous nice person, just read his bumper sticker'.
    It said something like 'Prius, its just the right car to own'. I thought it was a little weird to have that on on a car bumper since there really aren't enough Prius cars for all car owners and some people can't always afford a Prius but then I looked closer and saw that he wasn't just a Prius owner......well you know! Terry

13. xdriggs

xdriggs Xena

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Honestly I test drove both at the same time last fall and really could not tell the difference in the drive. Guess which one I got:confused:

14. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I guess it is a matter of what one considers better then because my wife and I prefer less floaty rides and more road feel. On the other hand if folks consider softer to be better I can understand that too. The floatiness of the Camry in early generations was a negative to us and in the Accord's favor.

Most of the Prius Touring discussion seems to really be about body roll rather than the springs and strut effects. Stiffer sway bars front/rear and strut tower brace made a big difference on my Nissan, cornered like it was on rails when I was through. Of course I went to progressive rate springs and performance struts/shocks at the same time as the sway bars and that eliminated any front end dive--so I don't have a full independent comparison of the parts. I did the tower brace later to get rid of twist and it really completed the package.

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Worth it just to get the bigger rear spoiler!!

16. Mike Baker

Mike Baker New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I owned a 2004 Prius(no Touring model available then). I now Own a 2007 Touring Pkg #6. I can state postively the the Touring handles much better. I drive from Florida to Texas and the ride on major highways doesn't even come into play. except the touring handles better in windy situations. I wouldn't trade mine for a standard under any curcumstance. Take my advice.....BUY TOURING....... you won't regret it.

17. tlaine

tlaine New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    We own a touring, but at the moment I'm driving the standard model as a loaner while the dealer is installing our leather. I can't tell much of a difference, but I think the touring does handle better when passing or being passed by large trucks and high winds.

18. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yes!

Excellent!

19. KBaird

KBaird New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    We test drove both, liked the Touring better, but couldn't get it in the color we wanted (Spectra Blue Mica). They had a Standard Package 5 that drove as tight as the Touring we tried, so we got that. So we have the smaller wheels, but also HID lights & fog lights, JBL stereo, Nav, and the color we really liked.

BTW, the "I really wish the dealer told/showed me..." thread was AWESOME for purchase-day!