1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Toyota 0W-20 Full Synthetic?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by srivenkat, Aug 15, 2013.

1. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I ask because, last year, when I gave the dealer Mobil 1 0W-20 to put in my Prius, they affixed the OCI sticker showing the next OCI to be in 10K miles or 1 year. At the next OCI recently, I switched to Toyota 0W-20. I actually bought the oil myself in the parts department and placed it in the car for them to use. Now I know they used it (I had asked one of the 5 quarts to be left in the car for later topping-off by me and they did leave it in the car). But what surprised me was that the new sticker says the next OCI should be in 5K miles or 6 months. So, that makes me wonder if Toyota 0W-20 is actually a full-synthetic or at least as synthetic as the Mobil 1 0W-20. Or, is there a non-synthetic version of the Toyota 0W-20 that I might have gotten?

I have no trust in the dealer's answer to the question so I thought I would ask.

A technical reply (as opposed to opinions) would be most helpful. Such as what markings on the package point to it being a synthetic. Thanks.

2. Jaybird124

Jaybird124 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  3. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The dealer made a mistake, next oil change should be in 10k miles, although they recommend a service every 5k. The 5k service is mainly checks and a tire rotation. I believe all Toyota 0-20 is full synthetic. Doesn't it say on the label?

TsKarma likes this.
  4. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Toyota 0W-20 is actually a full-synthetic :cool:

TsKarma likes this.
  5. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Scheduled visits are still every 5k. Oil changes are every 10k. Every 5,000 miles, per the manual, you are supposed to do a tire rotation and vehicle inspection, and reset the maint message.

Both Toyota and Mobil 1 0w-20 are marketed as full synthetic oils.

iPhone ?

6. Jensent

Jensent Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All 0w-20 regardless of brand is marketed as full synthetic oil.

7. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Even "full synthetic" motor oils are still made from crude oil. The term seems to note a grade or class.

8. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    vito.a likes this.
  9. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Not so. Full synthetic is made from Methane. They really do synthesize the appropriate carbon chains which resist shearing more than non synthetic.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In the US Warranty and Maintenance Guide, page p56:

The main thing I glean from that is the shorter oil change interval is predicated by the oil grade, not synth vs non-synth. The waters are muddied a bit though, by the mention of "mineral oil", in reference to the 5W20.

I'd talk to them. If they verify they used the 0W20 you supplied, I'd stick to 10K mile interval.

My 2 cents: it seems awkward in your situation, to buy the oil there, then hand it to them and ask them to do the change. At least at our dealership, they have the same stuff in bulk, and just pump it into measuring pitchers, accurately measured for customers' oil change.

If you're insecure about their honesty, talk to their Service Manager, level with him. If you still don't trust them, maybe switch to a third party mechanic. I can't see using them on an ongoing basis if you're that suspicious of their integrity. You're not alone though...

Personally, I buy liters of Toyo 0W20 through the parts department, and change it myself. Also, in Canada, the regular oil change interval, with the 0W20, is 8000 kilometers (roughly 5000 miles) or 6 months.

There's more politics and salesmanship than engineering in the setting of the interval, imho.

11. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The shorter oil change period is predicated by the use of Mineral oil.

Interesting. In Australia our intervals are 10,000 Kms and dealers generally use 5W30, fully synth.

12. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    It's more a case of a potential for error, than a suspicion of their honesty, that caused me to buy the oil myself. It's very easy to miss the call for this oil (while still be charged for it) if just printed on a piece of paper versus seeing the bottles in the car. Plus, I had an overfill at this same dealer on my HyCam last year (from a Mobil 1 5 qt jug I had provided), so I suspect they use pretty inexperienced/careless techs for oil changes and such. But I still like taking it to the dealer at least as long as the car is under warranty (in my case the 7 year 100K mile extended warranty which I bought after the tsunami in hopes some of that money will reach Toyota/Japan), so I don't have to prove proper maintenance as having occurred in case of having to file any warranty claims...

13. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All my cars are using 0w-20w per manufacturer spec Mazda CX-5 [7500k change] and Prius [10k change] plus I put a squirt of Marvelous Mystery Oil at time of oil change..............
    2012 Prius 4 Liftback 56mpg
    2013 Mazda CX-5 33mpg

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, with our last vehicle I tried sticking to the dealership during warranty. And wouldn't you know it: with a spec'd fill amount of 3.2 liters (diminutive 1.3 liter civic hybrid engine), they were dumping in 4.0 liters, oil change after oil change. Finally woke up, got frustrated about the situation, and went back to doing my own.

You're not obligated to have them do the changes in the warranty period, there are legal precedents allowing owners to do basic maintenance themselves. In particular if you buy the oil and filter from the dealership's parts department, close to the actual oil change date, you've got a very good paper trail.

If you're considering DIY, again, maybe talk to the service manager, see what they say. In my experience the response is usually something along the lines of "just keep your receipts, keep a log, and bring it in once in a while, to see if there's updates or whatever".

It can depend on the dealership. Some are on the level, common sense. Others are by-the-book (the bs book), confrontational, you have it. It really depends on the management style.

15. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I luv these guys..............

Fox Lake Toyota Difference - Free Car Washes and More | Fox Lake Toyota

The Fox Lake Toyota Difference

Fox Lake Toyota is pleased to introduce
    “The Fox Lake Toyota Difference”, a comprehensive plan which offers the following benefits:
    • No charge oil changes for up to 200,000 miles
    • A comprehensive 200,000 mile engine guarantee
    • Complimentary service loaners
    • Free car washes with every service
    • Customer Appreciation Saturdays – free car washes and refreshments

The “Fox Lake Toyota Difference” plan is eligible for all new Toyota and Scion models as well as Certified pre-owned Toyota and Scion models.

This complete Peace of Mind Protection Plan is offered at the time of sale for only $99!

The cornerstone of the Fox Lake Toyota Difference is our No Charge Oil Changes for up to 200,000 miles. You will no longer have to hunt for coupons or shop around for the lowest price! Your oil changes are covered, a longterm savings of up to $972!

Additionally, you will love the peace of mind comfort of our 200,000 mile engine guarantee and the use of our fleet of complimentary Toyota Service Loaners.

16. Whirldy

Whirldy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    +1

iPhone ? - now Free

17. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I wonder if they'll fix oil leaks for free?

Galaxy Nexus ? 4

18. Indy John

Indy John Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some years back the makers of Castrol were sued by the makers of Mobil 1 for labeling some of their motor oils as "synthetic", when in fact it was ordinary mineral ("dyno") oil that was subjected to extra refining to remove more of the waxes and impurities. Unfortunately, the judge agreed with the makers of Castrol that their extra refining was sufficient that their product can be considered "synthetic". Guess what?! The makers of Mobil 1 promptly reformulated most or all of their products, started using mineral oil as their base stock instead of the more expensive poly alpha olefins (the real synthetic stuff), and changed their labeling, advertising, and pricing not one whit! Thanks to a Federal judge, we can no longer look at a label and know what we're getting. When I called Mobil 1 to inquire which of their products might still have poly alpha olefins as a base, they said, "We're too busy engineering superior products to answer your question." Answers the question, doesn't it?

Former Member 68813 likes this.
  19. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, if you define "full synthetic" as such, then most oils sold in USA as "full synthetic" are not "full synthetic."

Sorry to burst you bubble, BTW.

20. Whirldy

Whirldy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Interesting info:

SYNTHETIC LUBRICANTS WHAT ARE THEY
    The production of many synthetic lubricants begin with base stocks which are synthesized from high volume hydrocarbon intermediates. For example, AMSOIL polyalphaolefin (PAO) base fluids are synthesized from ethylene. Others synthetics however, start with very basic raw material.
    There are five specific categories of base oils. These categories define the type of base stock the oil is formulated from. The categories are as follows. Note that the base oil group category is followed by the manufacturing method (in bold print) and then a description of the oil characteristics for each category.
    Group I - Solvent Freezing: Group 1 base oils are the least refined of all the groups. They are usually a mix of different hydrocarbon chains with little or no uniformity. While some automotive oils on the market use Group I stocks, they are generally used in less demanding applications.
    Group II - Hydro processing and Refining: Group II base oils are common in mineral based motor oils currently available on the market. They have fair to good performance in lubricating properties such as volatility, oxidative stability and flash/fire points. They have only fair performance in areas such as pour point, cold crank viscosity and extreme pressure wear.
    Group – III Hydro processing and Refining: Group III base oils are subjected to the highest level of mineral oil refining of the base oil groups. Although they are not chemically engineered, they offer good performance in a wide range of attributes as well as good molecular uniformity and stability. They are commonly mixed with additives and marketed as synthetic or semi-synthetic products. Group III base oils have become more common in America in the last decade.
    Group IV -Chemical Reactions: Group IV base oils are chemically engineered synthetic base stocks. Polyalphaolefins (PAO's) synthetics, when combined with additives, offer excellent performance over a wide range of lubricating properties. They have very stable chemical compositions and highly uniform molecular chains. Group IV base oils are becoming more common in synthetic and synthetic-blend products for automotive and industrial applications. The future belongs to the Group IV base-stocks (Synthetic Oils are Group IV Polyalphaolefins).
    Group V - As Indicated: Group V base oils are used primarily in the creation of oil additives. Esters and polyolesters are both common Group V base oils used in the formulation of oil additives. Group V oils are generally not used as base oils themselves, but add beneficial properties to other base oils.
    Note that the additives referred to in the Group V description are not aftermarket type oil additives. The additives referred to are used in the chemical engineering and blending of motor oils and other lubricating oils by the specific oil company that produces the finished product.

Feri likes this.