1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Toyota dealership oil change fine, or best to avoid?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Preeeus, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My bottles just say "synthetic". Not too excited about it, either way: changing it every 6 months.

2. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I believe the last I looked -- they label it a blend... (see my later post) it was also a very good price. It's surprising how much discussion still revolves around oil ... coolant, brake fluid, grease -- no one cares .... transmission fluid ..a bit ........ but oil ...oil is more discussed.

Mobil says the newest stuff is "Full Synthetic". The special "euro" stuff. Well ... what was the other two lines before this one came out. Mobil sells a synthetic line that is under M1 .. what's that?

Oil is a blended product -- It has carrier oil .......... it's all better then needed.

I have been using the Pennzoil Syn 0w-20 in my cars that call for that weight --- my local Auto store often has the 5Q w/ filter for $22. But ...... I don't think twice about going to the dealer and getting the Toyota oil with a service.

I have been using the Mobil Syn (not M1) product for my 5w-30 cars -- the only cars that get the M1 is my MB's with the FSS -- they use 0w-40 and the M1 has the tracer chemicals for the FSS to work correctly ... and the change can go out to 15k.

3. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That's interesting. Is it the Red bottle? I remember talking to the parts guy about the blend ....

Check that ...

What color is the Toyota bottle? I may be mixing this up with the Ford 0w-20 -- that's in a red bottle?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could be different in Canada. On the left is what I'd been getting since 2011; on the right's what I picked up about 5 months back.

737-corrected.jpg

5. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Dealership oil changes take too long.... Took my in for 1st 10k service at 5:45 am appointment waited till 9:45am 3 hrs oil change and tire rotation. At lease they provided free coffee and muffin!

6. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I only go to a dealership when I have to get warranty work, and I treat them like criminals during the entire time.

7. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Brought the Prius in to the dealer and got the oil changed.

Also asked them to perform a full inspection. They failed to find an obvious major issue: one of the boots is split open and a shock is not working properly.

They had the car for about 2 hours.

I pointed out that the liftgate struts were not holding up the liftgate in cold weather. They tried to claim that the liftgate struts were not covered by the extended warranty, because they claimed they were not the OEM ones. We found another Prius, and the struts were identical to ours, so they conceded the struts were, in fact, OEM.

They ordered the struts, and replaced them on the next visit. They also put a 1" dent near the liftgate strut attachment. The dent is visible when the liftgate is closed. Naturally, their worker denies that he did it.

8. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    LOL I don't blame you! Buddy of mine went to Mercedes dealership as service writter his first year he made 6 figures thus was 12 years ago!

9. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Potential problems with warranty in the future? (…if you don't put in the recommended oil, that is!) I look for information here before I take my car to the dealer where I ask them what they recommend, and then I ask them to do exactly what I ask them to, no more, no less, based on what I've learned in my research! They have all the right equipment, and they're responsible if anything gets screwed up!

#49 WilDavis, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016