1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Is Toyota Prius hybrid simply passe now that plug-in cars are here?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jul 19, 2016.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ? I thought Gen4 Prius is way the top seller in Japan since Jan_2016

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Key point of the article is 54 CAFE is under review, which is old news.
    "off the table" is jounalistic hook

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It likely is. It is newer and shinier than the Aqua.
    When it was new and shiny, the Aqua sales stomped the Prius ones. IIRC, Toyota had to increase production to meet demand. It will take the top again once the improvements for the gen4 reach it. It might happen before its redesign; too early to call whether the new Prius sales will stay high.

4. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wjtracy likes this.
  5. Hilux

Hilux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Audi A3 etron is not a good choice, when the electricity runs out, the fuel economy is very awful, even higher than normal A3.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Notice that they quote the attack article written by the Wards Auto writer who was lurking here, looking for bad ink.

7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's a power hybrid with 35 more hp than the 1.8L in the ICE model.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks like in Japan, the new Gen4 Prius is seeing the expected big bump-up in sales for a refreshed "model makeover" whereas in USA not so much yet, probably due to low gas prices and just so many vehicles to choose from over here. Much more competition. When I got the Prius in 2006, there really was no close alternative.

Toyota holding hybrid superiority here too, just that hybrids are weaker. So in U.S. case, Gen4 is helping Toyota maintain edge but the category is falling down a little.

9. Hilux

Hilux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    someone tested it, the power is so so, not too much advantage.

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm saying the hybrid system was designed for performance as opposed to efficiency.

11. plug-it-in

plug-it-in Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If you check the outside dimensions the Volt is slightly "bulkier" than the 2016 Prius. If you compare the inside passenger space the Volt is smaller. The "T" shaped battery layout of the Volt creates the 'closed in' feeling. I think it will have to go at some point.

Going a bit off topic, the steering column installed paddle of the 2017 Volt to invoke/increase regen breaking is silly. It should be an operating mode just like in the iMiEV (P/R/N/D/(Economy)/B.
    Driving in B maximizes the regen braking when gently releasing the accelerator. The breaking is proportional to the position of the accelerator pedal. Not quite Tesla like one foot driving but close.

#31 plug-it-in, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The battery did get smaller in the gen 2. Continued improvements in batteries could lead to a T-shape taking up the space of a RWD drivetrain in the middle of the cabin. Whether the T-pack goes away I think depends on where public tastes in cars are at, and that relates to where space is available available for batteries. The current tall wagon, um, crossover fad makes underfloor batteries easier. If 2 passengers only in the rear becomes a thing, why not have a T-shape pack to use the space where the middle seat used to be.

The Volt has a L 'gear' that sounds like it operates just like the iMiEV B does. The paddle regen is control in addition to that. It works only when off the accelerator, so it can be preferable for some over controlling regen amount by brake pedal.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Isn't that also true for your run-of-the-mill standard prius? .... poor fuel economy when the gas runs out?
    :rolleyes:
    Passé ?? not really - but w/ so many options upcoming, many are in wait mode to see what's just around the corner. Take the plugin Outlander below - for over a year it's been running around the EU & asian markets. Over a year! It's roughly the same electric range as the 'New' GenII PiP, but obviously the Mitsu is bigger inside, AWD option, AND towing capability. The U.S. market is the last group to get it - and worldwide? Mitsu can hardly keep up w/ production.
    OutlanderTowinG.jpg

Did Toyota miss the boat with these features? Some would say, "Toyota is stepping lightly". Others would say, "I'd buy that if it were a RAV4 plugin" ... but Toyota so far is silent with SUV plugin intentions. I'd have LOVED to hear of a RAV4 plugin ... can't keep up with production for over a year now (sigh)
    Passé ?? Not yet . . . . but each new company offering brings another level to the competition.

#33 hill, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    Trollbait likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we've been hearing about this 'outlander' outlier for quite some time now. are you sure it wasn't a dream?:coffee:
    ionoque, accord hybrid, malibu, chrysler pacifica, blah, blah, blah, a lot of talk, but no action.

15. plug-it-in

plug-it-in Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't know about the Volt, I was allowed to drive one around the dealer's lot so not much time to experiment. In the Mitsubishi the the "B" mode operates at full power, just like in "Drive" mode but it increases the regen breaking quite significantly when the accelerator is released. To the exrent that your body moves forward. If used smartly, one can slow down the MiEV to about 18-20 km/h -but you will need the break pedal to stop it from there on. Releasing the accelerator while in "D" the iMiEV behaves like a Prius. There is a mild breaking sensation, but the car tends to keep rolling. The deceleration is very mild. To me collecting all the kinetic energy possible and restore the charge of the battery is the logical thing todo. As a matter of fact I whish my Prius would do the same.
    Maybe it is just me, but if anyone drove car capable to one pedal driving (i.e. Tesla) or one which is capable of "almost one pedal driving" like the iMiEV or I believe the motorcycle company's (BMW) i3 the Volt's paddle board seems silly. Why on earth did GM had to introduce an other control?

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Comments have the Volt's L working just like how you describe iMiEV's B.

As to why the paddle shifter, why have them for manual shifting of gears on an automatic or even CVT? The answer is why not? Some people like having that extra control. If you don't, you don't have to use it.

GM introduced the paddle regen on the ELR, and people said they wished they had it on the Volt. Smart also has them as an option on their BEV. The paddle cost is small compared to the rest of the car. GM making it standard on the Volt isn't going to be turning point of making the car too expensive, and it is a plus for some buyers.

17. Hilux

Hilux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The precondition is the car factory have similar level of technology of hybrid and they put similar cost for a car.
    VW obviously doesn't have much hybrid technology.

Audi A3 etron has neither efficiency, nor performance

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For who?

Targeting mainstream consumers means keeping the interface simple and avoiding things of extra cost with questionable value.

That's why Prius Prime didn't bother with a middle rear seat. Studying of usage & worth simply didn't make a strong enough case to provide it initially.

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If that's the case, then why has Toyota somewhat backpedaled - stating that a future Prime model actually WILL have a middle back seat -

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    First, the opportunity for a mid-cycle upgrade has always been there. Making adjustments based upon market response is a normal part of their business. Don't lose perspective either. We are far from representative of ordinary consumers... who have yet to voice an opinion yet.

Second, there is no definitive statement I've seen that they WILL offer a middle back seat. What is your source?