1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Toyota still sticking to this? A 525 mile range?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by tag, Jan 26, 2004.

1. tag

tag Senior Member

Sunday, January 25, 2004
    Hybrid car saves fuel, money

Electric motor, gas engine combo fetches attractive federal tax break

By Sandra Block
    USA Today

Toyota says you can drive its electric gasoline hybrid Prius from Detroit to Washington on a tank of gas.

Full article at http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/01/2...greencar25.html

2. JeffG

JeffG New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In warm weather and driving with care.

But who would want to go to DC in warm weather?

3. tag

tag Senior Member

Good question!

Seriously, assuming that the tank holds a full 11.9 gallons, that works out to a little over 44mpg and this is damn near 100% highway driving.

BUT, I think we all know the tank does not hold 11.9. So, assuming circa 10.5 gallons, that works out to 50mpg.......sounds awfully optimistic.

4. aaron-aggie

aaron-aggie New Member

Keep in mind Toyota's Marketing Department is going use the EPA numbers for anything thet put out.

So their using City: 60 mpg
    Highway 51 mpg
    Combined 55 mpg

5. tag

tag Senior Member

That's true. The part that always throws me is when an article begins with, "Toyota says", viz:

Toyota says you can drive its electric gasoline hybrid Prius from Detroit to Washington on a tank of gas.

6. penpendisarapen

penpendisarapen New Member

Assuming an 11.9 gal tank, the 525 miles sounds doable to me. I gassed up a while ago and put in 9.34 gals in after driving 437 miles. With another 2.5 gals, I might have actually topped the 525 mark.

Victor
    Seaside #6

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There's a difference between saying "You can drive from Detroit to D.C. on a tank of gas," and saying "Based on EPA figures you ought to be able to drive from Detroit to D.C. on a tank of gas."

Apparently the law requires them to give the EPA mileage estimates and nothing else. But the first statement above makes a specific promise about the car, and is equivalent to saying "You will get the EPA mileage."

I'll leave it to others to figure out whether the statement is true or not, or how much of an mpg geek you'd have to be. Apparently, some guy in Japan got 1,000 miles on a tank. The Japanese tank holds more (no bladder) but one supposes that his extreme driving techniques would get you farther on a tank than most of us achieve.

And saying "you can" is different than saying "you will."

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Folks,
    This is, in the real world, quite doable. At the Orlando Shindig this weekend at least 4 of the 8 Prius owners there had exceeded the EPA numbers. Granted those were Florida drivers, but that's what can and will happen for most of us in warm weather. I haven't seen day over 62 degrees yet this year and most and I'm over 50mpg 160 miles into my current tank and got 50.2 on my last tank with some very bad driving conditions (cold weather, multiple sub-10 minute commutes).

We've seen the worst and heard the gripes and suffered the disappointments, but this is very real and very doable. Not everyone will, those who must cool their cars to 65 degrees in summer and warm to 85 degrees in winter and who drive inefficiently or routinely exceed speed limits or otherwise drive inefficiently won't ever see those numbers. But if that is your goal and you leave the AC off or use minimally and do a lot of coasting and drive the speed limit and in an otherwise efficient manner you'll meet, and likely exceed the numbers routinely....I'm completely convinced of that.

I have now seen photographic evidence of at least 4 people getting over 55mpg and over 500 miles on a tank of gas--not counting Wayne and his super-duper Prius with extra battery power---what a site that was.

9. jasond

jasond New Member

I've found it also makes a difference what the relative altitudes of your start and end points are. I get better gas mileage on the way to work than I do on the way home.

For what it's worth, Detroit is about 550 feet higher than DC :)

And also, the Toyota engineers are free to wait around at the gas station for an extra hour before starting the trip, to force as much gas into that bladder as they can... I certainly believe that 525 miles is possible on a full tank. Even if it's highway driving, they can choose whatever speed they want and drive the whole thing at the optimum efficiency level (62 mph?)

10. cheaplawyer

cheaplawyer New Member

regardless of the tank range, i fill up so seldom that i'm actually somewhat irritated at having to stop and go thru the trouble of refueling for only 10 gallons or so; w/ a surburban and land crusher in the garage - prius refueling stops aren't as "gratifying" -

11. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

When it comes to miles between fill-ups, two cars come to mind:

1) When the American Motors Gremlin arrived on the scene around the time of the '70s gas crisis, AMC advertised that their new car would go more than 500 miles on a tank of gas. What they failed to mention in the ads was that the Gremlin had a 35 gallon fuel tank. This became kind of an inside joke because the car really did get lousy gas mileage.

2) I owned a 1982 Audi 4000 Diesel that consistantly got 47 miles to the gallon. I used to be able to drive (5 of us in the car - Once each Winter) the 1500 mile trip from Rockport, MA to Orlando FL stopping once for gas (>750 miles to the tank).

It's not so hard to find a car that will go lots of miles between fill-ups. What you won't find though, except in the Prius, is a mid sized car that can get more than 50 miles to the gallon, do 0 - 60 in about 10 seconds, and still provide the best polution numbers of almost any car on the highway.

12. Fredo

Fredo Junior Member

It sounds like the Pruis gets the best mileage at betwen 35 and 45 MPH. You should be able to drive from Detroit to Washington starting about 8:00 on a Friday night and driving all night (about 14 hours) at 40 MPH. Whether you could stay awake for a trip like that is a different matter! :multi:

13. Astroprius

Astroprius New Member

I'll confirm this. I'm averaging over 50 MPG on the highway (65 mph) and got about 510 miles on my first tank, and then re-fueling with 10 gallons.

Using the cruise control helps with attaining maximum mileage, at least as far as I can tell from the consumption screen.

I truly believe that the warmer temperatures around the corner will make some of the gas mileage grumbling go away (at least until the cold weather sets in again).

14. jreasus

jreasus New Member

I just recorded my first 600 mile tank (actually 601.4) on a tank filled to 10.6 gallons. I refilled today with 10.75 gallons. I drove 65 miles beyond the flashing bar on the gauge and probably could have gone a fair distance farther. Who knows? I wasn't willing to risk any more once I reached the 600 mile mark. Driving conditions were roughly equally distributed between highway, suburban, and city with temps ranging from about 25 degrees to 70 over a 10 day period.

Very, very happy with this car. It continues to amaze me its comfort, zip, and technology!

Tideland AM - Colorado

15. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Next time you should take a pic for all of us to marvel at :)

16. jreasus

jreasus New Member

Yes, if I can reach 600 miles again, I'll do that. For my first several tanks, I've been resetting the display each day. I wanted to get an idea of the effect different kinds of driving, road conditions, and weather had on my mileage. With this new fillup, I'll be letting the average accumulate for the whole tank. Surely, there must be others who are reaching 600 miles as well.

17. toyoprius

toyoprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I tend to agree. We have had warmer weather here in Boston, and the my mileage is reflecting that. During the last month my combined mileage has crept back to 50 or so (from the dark days of high 30's during the January cold snap).

Recently I have had several trips up to Bangor with the temperature in the 40's. If I drive the Interstate (I-95) with the cruise control at 75 mph, I get a predictable 47-49 mpg indicated. When I return via non-hilly backroads (i.e. US 202, US 1) with a previously warmed engine, I always manage to get just over 60 mpg indicated. The backroads allow you to travel 40-55 mph, with stops in the cities. I typically try to use "smart driving techniques" to get over 60 mpg. During my next trip, I will return via the backroads using "mindless driving techniques" (i.e. just letting my brain freewheel) and see if there is actually any difference.

18. JasonS

JasonS Jason Siegel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  19. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am a little confused with the gas gauge myself. Last week I filled up with two bars left and put in 6.5 gallons and averaged 50 mpg on the display and calculated 50.7. This week I am averaging 51 mpg on the display and have driven 212 miles. However, there are only four bars left on the gauge. This just doesn't seem right to me. If the mileage figure is close, if I filled up now I would only put in over four gallons.

Any ideas?

Jeff

20. cybele

cybele New Member

The non-linear nature of the gas gauge is well documented anectdotally. At this point many of us are resigned to using the "divide your range by your mileage" method to know how much we've consumed. Some folks like to give themselves a target of using as many or more gallons as their last refill or maybe just try to hit 10 gallons (because the math is easy that way).

It does seem that the car has an exceptionally large reserve tank, probably because Toyota really doesn't want you to run out of gas because it can damage the hybrid system if other backup protection methods fail. The general advice is to wait until the car tells you to refuel or when your range tells you that you should get gas now rather than later.

Refilling less often reduces evaporative emissions so is another benefit of the mileage and range of the Prius. You should be very careful not to overfill though, as that can damage the fuel system and can lead to spills.

Now that you've got your car, you might want to browse the earlier threads about this like this one
    http://www.priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=171
    and
    http://www.priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=847