1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is your door armrest padding squished flat?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by liquidtenmillion, Aug 21, 2017.

1. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I first bought my 2017 Prius the driver door armrest was quite cushiony. I have noticed that only 6 months later the spot where I rest my arm/elbow have become completely flat, the cushioning has been completely smashed flat. I can easily compare this to the front half of the same armrest, or any of the other 3 armrests in the car. It is completely flat and very hard at the back portion of the armrest, unlike, any of the 3 others which have shown no change at all(but only have a passenger probably 1/15th the time as the driver).

I have found online where I can purchase another armrest, but I am reluctant to do so if it will also squish flat in short time. Basically I am wondering if anyone else has flattened their door armrest out, or if mine was some type of fluke. I'm not heavy, and I very rarely press hard on it.

I first noticed this after I got my car back from the bodyshop from a deer strike, and the body shop for sure managed to dent my seat permanently on the back part of the bottom cushion(it has been months and hasn't gotten a single bit better, you can feel the dent with your hand easily, the softex isn't dented, only the cushion) so I do believe that someone there might have flattened my door armrest too, or maybe just that I noticed it shortly thereafter due to increased attention.

I have taken the door armrest off several times, it appears that the cushioning is some type of blue squishy styrofoam stuff, which is underneath the softex layer which is glued on, so if anyone knows how to restore this padding somehow that would be helpful too.

RCO likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe show it to an upholstery shoppe and see what they think. is it out of warranty?

3. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    When I purchased my car i knew the padding in the armrests was thin without much cushioning. After 15000 and 8 months mine feels the same; I wonder what it will feel like in 5 years and will it rip or tear? The issue i have with mine is the door panels squeek when I lean on them. That and the entire dashboard rattles and buzzes every time i drive over bumpy road surface is driving me crazy and gone on several rants here at priuschat.

Starship16 likes this.
  4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Padded armrest? What padding? I never thought it had any!

padroo, Starship16 and kithmo like this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    TSB Issued for Buzzing rattle in dashboard | PriusChat

6. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's standard wear and tear according to the dealership. I'm just trying to see if that is true and everyone's door armrest has flattened also.

All the gen 4 Prii have the padded armrest as far as I know, even the cloth seats and the 2 do, so if your armrest is hard then it has flattened, it wasn't built hard. When I bought new it had about a half-full centimeter of padding. I can buy a new one online for 50$ or less, and would seriously consider it, but not if it will re-flatten in short time. The padded armrest was one of my favorite upgrades on the gen 4, but I don't want to pay 50$ every 2-3 months to maintain it. I thought it was very nice, more padding than any vehicle I have ever been in. (the best I've had prior was a thin piece of cloth fabric over top hard plastic, or just straight up hard plastic with nothing over top). The very first thing I noticed was how great the padded armrest felt, I could stick my finger into it and feel/watch it depress and pop back up.

I'm a stickler for symmetry, so I wouldn't like knowing that my drivers armrest has a different padding from the passenger, but would definitely consider it if the stock padding will always go flat.

#6 liquidtenmillion, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when did toyota start calling defects 'standard'?:p

'LectroFuel and RCO like this.
  8. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can see where they are coming from, if the armrest really does go flat every 2-3 months then I have about 10-13 more replacements under warranty.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suspect 12/12 on the interior, but could be wrong. better padding would preclude warranty repair. we have not had an issue with gen 2 and 3.

10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He is still within 12/12 likely since it is a 2017.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's what i was thinking. but how can a dealer say it's normal? well, they could say that about any defective part.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  12. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did not realize interior was only covered 12/12, which my car still falls under. I knew that wheel balancing/alignment was 12/12, but I did not know of any other warranty item that fell under that, I assumed interior items that were not considered cosmetic/normal wear and tear were covered under 3 year 36,000.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  13. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    If, as it seems, nobody else has had this problem, then I would suspect that the body shop left something pressing on it and I would get on to them to repair it and your seat cushion.

RCO likes this.
  14. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Almost immediately in order to construct a non- indictable statement for the press.

pilotgrrl, bisco and Prodigyplace like this.
  15. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems I have 1 answer that says, "it always sucked but it hasn't degraded" and another that is completely flat(maybe). The body shop could very well have damaged it, but I would gladly spend 50$ of my own money to never have to talk to the body shop ever again.

Anybody who sees this, if you press your finger into the armrest on the door, does it visually depress AT ALL, because I understand the initial padding isn't as good as a Lexus, but you can still see it visually depress, unless it has flattened like mine.

RCO likes this.
  16. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Fair comment about the $50, it's probably less stressful to DIY.
    Mine does depress, very easily, about 5 mm, it feels as though the padding is very light weight stuff, it's as if it's not made to be leaned on but more to give it a soft touch feel.

RCO likes this.
  17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fixed that for you.

RCO and kithmo like this.
  18. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone have any updates on this? If I look at parts stores 74220-47010-C0 seems to be a replacement armrest, and it seems to be that there is only one part model for all Prius, even though from some research I've done Prius 1-3 have "soft touch armrest" and 3 Touring,4 and 4, touring have "softex armrest", whatever the difference between those may be.

This could explain why some people say their armrests are hard, they may have "soft touch", whereas mine was definitely squishy when new, and all 3 of my other armrests are still squishy. My issue is, if I order that part number will it be hard or covered with softex?

And also if anyone has noticed if their arm rest at 3 and below is hard and in no way squishy, not even 2mm of squish.

19. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not in such great detail as you investigation, but mine are definitely what I'd call firm - though not actually hard. Oh, and they're fabric covered as opposed to Softex.

#19 RCO, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  20. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    deleted

#20 Starship16, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018