1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is your gas price going up by leaps and bounds?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by daronspicher, May 15, 2007.

1. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

On 3/18, I paid 2.489
    On 4/17, I paid 2.899 up 41c/gal in that month
    On 5/15, I paid 3.259 up 35c/gal more this month, however......

3.259 I got this morning is the fluke, I was lucky to get it. Last night I noticed a couple of stations at 3.499 and thought, wow, that's a huge spike, I wonder if the two stations I go to most are also that high, I just filled up my mower gas cans on Sunday for 3.259.

5am this morning, I pulled into my usual BP (easier off, easier back on) and it was already 3.499 but the Mobil across the street was still 3.259, so I was fairly easily able to get over there and fill up... so, really what we have is a new benchmark of 3.499 on my route...

Which brings the 1 month increase to 60c/gal, the 2 month increase of $1.01/gal

I feel like I have a pretty good job and I guess when driving a prius, I can absorb an extra $70 a month increase in our household economy and sure, it's a bit of a bummer...

The sinking feeling I get when I process this price hike madness is the thought of people with lesser job income and far lesser mpg being able to absorb their increase. When do the dominos start to fall?

2. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had a supercharged tC, so I had to pump premium. Once I started pumpin at like $3.60 - 70, I started thinking. One thought led to another and then before I knew it, I was parking my prius in my driveway :). Now I only pump regular, and I havent ever had to fill it up yet. I'm still running off the gas the dealer gave to me, lol. I did some estimations and figured my gas bill would decrease more than half.
    I was very heavy into racing both street and strip. I'm in a sleeper club called Illusions, who take older hondas or mitsubishi's, keep them looking stock, but drop around 10k into the engine. So much fun.
    I used to LOVE to take my tC out in the country and just max it out. Crusing flat straight roads at 130+.
    That is what I used to be, but now look at me driving a 4 dr automatic. haha....wow. Its amazing that the price of gas can make you do things you never thought you would do.

3. splashback

splashback New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Gas prices can do that to you!
    I went from a modified 04 GTO with the 5.7 and a Honda Pilot in my garage to a Prius (and the wife's van)

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    prices have been hovering around $3 a gallon here for quite a while now. i think it was $2.97 the last two times i filled up, which would be over the last 5 or 6 weeks. last night it was $3.05 at a station on one of the bigger roads in town.

5. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeh, we're definately back into Chicago gas-price gouging season.

Attached Files:

• gas.gif
      gas.gif
      File size:
      10.9 KB
      Views:
  6. Hobbs

Hobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I found this Q&A. I live in the UK. Notes of sympathy welcome.

How do gasoline prices in Ontario compare with other provinces and other countries?

Ontario gasoline prices are, in general, very similar to the Canadian national average. Canadian gasoline prices compare very favourably with those in other industrialized countries. The chart, based on figures from the International Energy Agency, indicates that only the United States has lower average prices than we do. Net of government taxes, Canadian gasoline prices are currently just slightly higher than those in the US.

[attachmentid=8048]

Last updated: 7 December, 2006

Attached Files:

7. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Superman? Nope, it's gas prices.

8. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  9. quagmire0

quagmire0 New Member

Ah, it's nice that our main car is a Prius! :D And the car I drive to work is a Civic, and I only drive about a mile or two each way. Chicago is rediculous with its gouging though. I wonder if the governor will suspend the state tax on gas again. :rolleyes: How about punishing some of these price gouging gas dealers?

10. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

According to this mornings LA Times, gas price in Calif actually went down a few cents. HOOOOOORAY!
    87 Octane reg is still over $3.50/gal. The same article said the price will continue to rise.
    Carl

11. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In the San Francisco Bay I just paid $3.39 at a Costco for gas. And just to think the "Driving season" is coming up too... weeee

12. dsmithpdx

dsmithpdx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've been paying $3.69 for premium here in Portland, OR for my Subaru Legacy GT. But that all ends tomorrow when I trade it on on a Prius! :)

Now if I can just convince my wife to trade in her Beetle (that also requires premium).

Doug

13. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yep it only gets better....$3.39 on the east side of MI and I am sure it'll be a matter of time until it hits on the west side. All I know is its gonna really put a hurting on the SUV/gas guzzling owners as well as those who have to drive for a living. Traveling season is gonna be very expensive this year.

14. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ May 15 2007, 09:09 AM) [snapback]442336[/snapback]</div>
    I am of limited income and can't absorb much more of this. If I had the $$ my Accord-V-6 would be gone and a 2nd Prius would be in the garage. I'm very frustrated with all the price gouging we're enduring at the hands of Arabs & Big Oil. Thay are criminals!

15. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Its been $3.39 for the past couple of weeks where I buy. San Fernando Valley, and Azusa. I've seen it in the $3.50s, but still able to find $3.39 last night again. (The Shell on Foothill just east of Irwindale is matching the Coctco across the street, with no lines.) I buy gas twice a week, so I really see the changes, though with the Prius, its like: "Higher gas prices...yawn...oh really?"

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, for reasons unknown, the west coast has been hit by the gas price increase the hardest. now this is last weeks stats, but the top 3 in order was CA, WA, then Oregon.

normally the top 3 are Hawaii, CA and NY. dont know what happened or why its happening. remember i lived in the area where Katrina gas prices spikes barely hit $3. (my top price paid was actually $2.979 but several stations in the area were in the $3.05 area)

17. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ May 15 2007, 01:39 PM) [snapback]442707[/snapback]</div>
    Well, here in Cheney it's held steady at $3.299 for over a week. I did notice the other day that at CostCo (in Spokane) it's still only $3.169.

David M.

18. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    While I was gone 2 1/2 weeks staying with the grandchildren, gas here in the Milwaukee area went from 2.999 to 3.399 (and up to 3.499 over last night). In Vermont where I had lunch on May 7, gas was 2.929 - just over the border in rural northern NY I paid 2.999 that same day.

I feel fortunate that I drive because I want to - not because I have to, since I retired 3 years ago. Having Fiona delicately sipping gas makes my budget happier, too. In the warmer weather, my mpg has gone up more than 10% without doing anything extreme - just a little pulse & glide.

19. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    $2.99 (up almost 10cents from last week!!) at my Costco today. But the station by my house is up to $3.25 (yippee for costco!)

20. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ May 15 2007, 03:53 PM) [snapback]442681[/snapback]</div>

haha, yep exactly. My room mate came in after work and was pissed that he had to fill up at $3.39, dropping like $50 in his talon. I was like, eh ya that sucks, I might fill up next week some time for around $20 and go for another 3 weeks. Needless to say, he didnt like that comment :p hahahahaha.
    PRIUS FTW!!!!