1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Israel Bombs 4 Story Residential Building

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Jul 30, 2006.

1. paco-shalom

paco-shalom Veteran Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel obliged to add to this discussion. I think the situation is very sad, especially since there is no imminent solution. Reading the news reports, I remember that I recently toured many of the places in northern Israel which have been hit by Hezbollah rockets.

Israel cannot be expected to sit idly while Hezbollah kidnaps soldiers and fires rockets at civilian targets. The UN is ineffective, and the Lebanese army is unable to help. Imagine if a militia in Quebec attacked a border crossing, killing and kidnapping US border agents in New York, then took the kidnapped agents to some hiding place in Canada. If the Canadian government said "tough luck, we won't help," how long would Bush wait before sending his army after that Militia?

2. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paco-shalom @ Aug 1 2006, 01:28 PM) [snapback]295731[/snapback]</div>
    The best parallel can be summed up like this (no really, it is)...

A militia in Montana starts lobbing rockets into Canada. For whatever reason.

In retaliation Canada starts bombing New York City.

Makes perfect sense.

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Aug 1 2006, 10:36 AM) [snapback]295737[/snapback]</div>
    Parallel? The lines are so far apart that it holds no part in the reality of the situation.

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Aug 2 2006, 02:23 AM) [snapback]296128[/snapback]</div>
    Sure it does. Just because it seems implausible doesn't mean it's not a parallel.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Aug 1 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]295737[/snapback]</div>
    So what should Israel do in your opinion?

6. paco-shalom

paco-shalom Veteran Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Aug 1 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]295737[/snapback]</div>
    If the US army refused to do anything to stop and control the militia, then I would expect Canada to take that as US support for the militia, and therefore an act of war. Canada would have plenty of support for responding by trying to eliminate the threat, even if that meant bombing the NYC apartment building where the head of the Montana militia was hiding.

Now, I think this is a better parallel.

No matter where in the world, there will be no peace between nations if such militias are allowed to commit acts of war against neighboring countries. Israel's strong response is necessary only because Lebanon (and any other country who would help them) is not acting to stop and disarm Hezbollah.

7. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 2 2006, 09:33 AM) [snapback]296212[/snapback]</div>
    Bomb Hezbollah... go in on the ground. Bombing Beruit is counterproductive all around.

I do find it amazing that the the region's most powerful military seems to be running a ratio of 50 civilians killed for each legit hez soldier that they kill.

8. Mirza

Mirza New Member

jonnycat26,

You bring up an excellent point. From what I've heard, the Hezbollah-fired rockets are highly mobile... they can take the weapons anywhere they want to... the Israeli are fighting rather disgustingly... worse than what Hezbollah is doing since those Katushas have no aim... they point and shoot and the rest is 'up in the air.'

9. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Aug 2 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]296330[/snapback]</div>
    Hezbollah are also fighting rather disgustingly... I don't approve of using civilian areas as launch points.

But the idea that because you detect a rocket launch in a civilian area gives you the right to bomb the civilian area off the face of the earth is offensive. So I find that part of what Israel is doing to be rather cowardly.

10. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Yeah, because things aren't as rosey for the Israeli's than they report.

Remember, THEY are the ones who have to go in and take them out. Right off the bat, that puts them into a highly defensive postion. I'm sure the Hez. guys are just waiting for them, they clearly have this advantage. On top of that, Lebanon ain't a big country. 20+ days have gone by, and Israel is still chopping away, and saying they're calling up reserves.. hmmm...

What worries me is, Israel pushes too hard, pisses off too many, they risk the Arabs unifying against them. The fact is, we don't know what "behind the scenes" agreements there are within the Arab world regarding what might happen if the guano flies in Israel. All it takes, to illustrate, is some country like Iran lobs a surprise semi-nuke/atomic bomb into Tel-Aviv, and they get "backed" by all the other Arabs.

The long and the short is this: Are we ready to go to serious war, nuclear or otherwise, over Israel?

11. Mirza

Mirza New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Aug 2 2006, 12:33 PM) [snapback]296338[/snapback]</div>
    Oh I hear you loud and clear... I've believed that all along about Hezbollah.

12. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Aug 1 2006, 01:57 AM) [snapback]295598[/snapback]</div>
    The tilt of the balance scale is so lopsided that it appears as if Arabs always cause the problems. Even when it is the Israelies the act is usually in response to what the Arabs have done previously.

The fault always lies with one side or the other.

Also I don't see how you can compare the two girls writing on the shells with violence, where did that come from? Parents standing by and seeming to give tacit approval is also a far cry from the hate and violence taught to the Arab youth in their schools, mosques and homes.

13. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Aug 2 2006, 09:33 AM) [snapback]296338[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately, the Lebanese people that elected Hezbollah and support Hezbollah are just as guilty as Hezbollah...

The Lebanese are very much guilty of fomenting and encouraging Hezbollah, just as much as the Palestinians encourage Hamas...

In the 1930s, the German electorate chose the NAZIs...

It is all the same to me. We in the USA do NOT elect parties that have HATE and ERADICATION of a people to power, why should Lebanon or Palestine get away with it and then cry foul when their elected rabid-dogs go awry?

14. Mirza

Mirza New Member

There is no parallel between the Lebanese and the Germans. Go to wikipedia and learn something about Lebanese history. Pay attention to the Israeli occupation and the civil war.

15. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Aug 2 2006, 12:52 PM) [snapback]296357[/snapback]</div>
    Did they? You should look into lebanon's political system. It's a very strict form of representative government... I very much doubt the christians or the druze voted hezbollah in.

And, again sorry to further burst your bubble, but I believe there are less than 5 Hezbollah members of parliment. That's kind of like calling the US a communist country if we elected a communist to the house of representatives.

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Aug 2 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]296330[/snapback]</div>
    Tell the truth - you support Hezbollah. If you think that Israel is fighting worse than the Hezbo's than you are blind. Israel could just flatten that entire country - civilians be damned. Israelis do NOT fight behind womens skirts or store weapons in Synogogues.

There is that moral difference again you keep citing - guided munitions are worse than unguided??? Wow - like the Hezbo's care about hitting civilians - and how do

Be like Mel - confess, its ok, you have a right to support them.

Is there a big difference between defending them and supporting them?

17. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  18. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  19. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Aug 2 2006, 03:26 PM) [snapback]296479[/snapback]</div>
    A dead kid is a dead kid no matter how you position or present it.

Nice to see you attempt to leverage marginalization against dead kids... a-wipe.

20. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Aug 2 2006, 03:26 PM) [snapback]296479[/snapback]</div>

I wish I had not clicked on those links. Reality is very sad. I will have the picture of that little boy in my mind for a very long time. :( :( :( :( Why in the world would you post this?