1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Issue after head unit installation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Brad Combs, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Brad Combs

Brad Combs New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello,

I recently installed a new stereo in a 2010 Prius. I installed the SWC, head unit and backup camera. Everything is working as expected except that now the car doesn't seem to turn off. It does power down, but when I get out of the car and shut the door it says key not detected. Also, I noticed the car beeps when I open the door, even if it is off. It almost seems like it is in between on and off. The immobilized light is flashing. The remote doesn't lock or unlock the doors.

Any ideas? I pulled the negative battery cable for a minute and reattached, same issue.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Brad

2. Brad Combs

Brad Combs New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    After taking the Kenwood out and putting the factory head unit back in I've noticed that the problem goes away only once the 12 pin plug is plugged back into the factory unit. This is the plug that is not used at all in my installation of the Kenwood unit. Anyone know what this controls? Is there something monitored on this plug that could be grounded in order to fix this issue? I believe that this 12 pin plug is part of the armrest aux input, but what else is attached to it that would cause the system to behave like this?

Thanks!
    Brad

3. Brad Combs

Brad Combs New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just another data point, I also have the iPod plug in the glovebox, so I wonder if this is hooked to that as well?

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did you do the install yourself or have a shop do it?

5. Brad Combs

Brad Combs New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did it myself.

Actually, I just figured it out. If anyone else runs into this. The cause of the issue in my case is that inline with the SAT/NAV connector (the 12 pin connector I talked about previously) was a module that provided iPod integration in the glovebox. I pulled that unit out (it was just held in by two wire ties) and unplugged it from the main SAT / NAV connector and the problem went away. Now I'm putting the Kenwood back in. I'll take some pictures later and add to the thread in case anyone runs across this again.

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  7. Brad Combs

Brad Combs New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To close the loop....

Initially I installed a Kenwood DX series head unit into my 2010 Prius. I used the typical Toyota wiring harness for aftermarket stereos, the Axxess steering wheel controller, and the Kenwood 201 rear camera. After installation of all the components I reconnected the battery and started the car. All the components worked as expected and I backed the car out of the garage and into the driveway. The camera, SWC and head unit all worked as expected. I powered down the car.

Immediately I knew something was wrong because when I opened the door the car beeped in the same way that it beeps if you open the driver side door while the car is on. The second thing I noticed is that after I closed the door I heard another beep and saw "Key not detected" on the display in the car. This happened at night, so in order to go to bed I had to leave a FOB in the car with the key removed and lock the car manually with the key.

The next night I removed the Kenwood unit and put the factory head unit back in. The problem immediately went away. So the next thing I tried was removing the factory head unit so that now there is no head unit at all. The problem came back. This was odd to me. So I started by one by one plugging each of the 4 connectors into the back of the factory stereo. Only after connecting the 12-pin connector did the problem go away. After a lot of internet searching I determined that the 12-pin connector might be the SAT / NAV connector. My factory unit has neither of these, it is the basic unit. I thought maybe I needed to ground something on that plug, but then thought that if that was really the issue there would be more discussion about it on the internet or maybe an aftermarket plug that would fix the issue. None of that existed. I only saw 3 other people report the same problem I was seeing. Two of them here on priuschat and none with a resolution. I thought about what might be different from my system than most standard systems and it dawned on me. The stupid iPod connector in the glove box. I only tried it once and the experience was so painful navigating music that I immediately forgot all about it. Now the fun begins... :)

I traced the iPod connector in the glove box to small unit that was wired tied to a bracket. On the other end of the unit was a cable that was spliced into the 12-pin connector on the car. The normal 12-pin connector was connected to a male 12-pin connector on the iPod unit and then a spliced in was another 12-pin female connector. This is what I had been plugging into the factory unit. I clipped the wire ties and pulled the iPod unit out of the car. Now with nothing attached, no factory or Kenwood system, and with the iPod unit removed I powered on the car and the issue went away. Here is a pic of the unit that I removed. The red circle is the iPod connection. The yellow circle is the male connector that was connected to the standard 12-pin connector in the car. The orange circle is the spliced 12-pin connector that was plugged into the factory stereo.

WP_20131114_20_01_37_Pro.jpg

Once removed the problem went away. I reinstalled the Kenwood unit and things are happy.
    WP_20131114_12_50_00_Pro.jpg

Hope this helps someone out.

Brad

alekska likes this.