1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

issue with fuel gauge???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by abelincoln1979, Nov 3, 2011.

1. abelincoln1979

abelincoln1979 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I just got a 2007 toyota prius alittle over a month ago and i noticed that the fuel gauge will get to 1 marker left so I go to fill up and it only puts 8.6 gallons in and its an 11.9 gallon tank. is the gauge wrong or is that normal? New on here so please be nice, lol.

thanks

Peter Larsen likes this.
  2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The gen.2 gas gauge is affectionatly called the guess guage. What your describing is perfectly normal. If you asked a dealer about it, they would say..."They all do it" LOL in this case they'd be right.

Peter Larsen likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is not entirely the gauge's fault. The Gen 2 gas tank in North America has a 'flexible' bladder inside it. How flexible is very temperature dependent, In the summer, in the afternoon, I have gotten 10.5 gallons in my 2009 Prius. On cold winter mornings I can't get 9 gallons, and MS is not that cold. So not only is the gauge iffy, the tank it is measuring is of variable size.

My Advice: Get gas with two tics if anyone you are riding with would remind you forever if you ran out. Get gas with one tic is no one will know if you ran out. If that tic starts blink, get gas NOW. While I have driven 30 miles with it blinking, I have run out in as little as 7 miles.

(If your mother in law is in the car, get gas with 3 tics, you don't want to give her ammunition)

1 person likes this.
  4. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    + 1

As a new Gen II owner, you need to read up on the Fuel and EVAP System. Its complexity will will take you breath away: :eek:

Fuel and Evap System Tech Guide