1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Issues starting Prius in the cold

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by N H, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    CTEK 4.3 (charger) has a desulfate option.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No, the conclusion that you have added a tiny bit to the battery's overall life is justified.
    Any conclusion BEYOND that is not.

Any improvement you make will likely not last more than 6 months.
    Once the sulfation occurs, that compound is NOT changeable back into anything usable for electricity production while it is inside the battery. NO amount of any kind of electricity applied externally will change that.

It should be pretty easy to research this, if you really care.
    The difficult part is ignoring those who "bend" the truth to sell something.
    And those who spout BS just to sound important.

3. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Which will make the battery appear to magically regain some lost capacity.
    But that is only short term and does NOTHING long term.

WilDavis and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Your statements are falsifiable, and in my experience, false.

For non-technical reasons, I've had to interrupt this "project". The battery currently shows a fully charged/rested OCV around 12.6. I found an old school Schumacher BT-100 load tester. I haven't had the chance to test the Prius battery yet, but I expect what it will show is that the battery is mediocre (which is a lot better than it started out!). I'll test the battery at my next opportunity, document my findings. I want to run the Pulsetech charger on that battery for at least another 300 hours. Then I'll do another assessment. If it conforms to my prior experience, the battery will test quite well.

While the Prius hasn't been available, I discovered the flooded OEM battery in my 2013 Subaru was discharged. I put my old school 6 amp manual charger on it until it started gassing, then checked sp grav with my cheapo hydrometer. One out of four balls on all cells, electrolyte a little low but covering all plates. I added distilled water to correct level, put the Pulsetech on it. That was 12 days ago. I checked the sp gr last night and it floats 3/4.

5. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    All I can say is having to plug in a charger every few days for the rest of the battery's life is not nearly appealing as replacing the battery with a new one and not worry about it again for 5 to 7 years.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Depends. Our car regularly sits idle 2~3~4 days. Then the drive might be a short one. I've hooked up my CTEK charger's quick connect cable at the underhood jump point. The car's garage stored, and the charger is mounted on the wall beside the front driver's side fender. Hook up is quick, and I can leave the car unattended for days, without having to stress about the battery running down.

7. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You've misunderstood what's happening here.

Once restored, the battery behaves like it did when new or at least much newer. It does not require unusual care.

The restoration process takes significant time. About 600 hours for a typical (group 35) auto battery. If the battery is in a car which is in service, then you do have to connect and disconnect, which is why the charging pigtail you can see in the video, which is easily accessible without removing any interior stuff.

Side note: The desulfation process uses a high frequency (20+ KHz) square wave superimposed on a 14.1VDC float charge. Getting that HF pulse into the battery requires minimizing capacitance, so the charger needs to be connected right to the battery terminals, not through the underhood charging point.

8. N H

N H New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey all,

I found my way into the diagnostic screen this week in my prius and kinda want to run the situation by you guys and see what you all think.
    It was like 20F this week and I tried to boot up my prius, and it obviously didn't work. (All the electronics came on, but no engine, with pretty much lights up on everything). The voltage on the 12V battery read 9.5V. If I turned up the heat fan, it dropped it down to 9.1V.
    After leaving the car on (with the electronics, but no engine) for maybe 5 mins (largely because I was charging up my jumper in the car which also apparently isn't pumping out much in the cold lol), the car turned on without even needing to be jumped. The 12V battery now read 14.5 Volts. Drove without any issues...

I'm just curious if this is a 12V battery issue or a more concerning HV battery issue?
    I already bought a 12V battery, but haven't had a chance to install it. If this is a 12V battery issue, I was also wondering if this is a situation where the original 12V battery can be saved by just desulfating or recharging it?

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    See post # 2, 3, 5 , 9 & 11. If not, we may not be able to help you.

vlxerdon likes this.
  10. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The battery did NOT read 14.5; that is the voltage coming from the charging system.

Yes, it is a 12 V battery issue; it is worn out.

Please be sure that your new battery is fully charged before installing it.

11. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I can't say all models of Optima batteries are reliable as a rock but speaking of my Optima Yellow Top 24R, it has been over 6 years now. It works 100%, no even a hiccup once. Perhaps like fotomoto's chart, I am at the great white north country with 58 months or more on its life expectancy. I did my research 6 years ago when I made the purchase and I would buy another one with no hesitation the next round.

12. N H

N H New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V

Do they not come fully charged?
    How do you tell one is fully charged?

I ordered the Optima Yellow Top 24r and was just going to ask the store to install it (already checked w/ them). Just wondering what should I ask to check the charge on it?

Are there any other items to check prior to installation?

Thanks again!

13. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Seems like I remember that the quality problem showed up about 4 years ago.
    Don't know if it got resolved or not.
    Glad you got a good one.

14. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No, often they are NOT fully charged.
    You tell by testing it.......or connecting a "smart" charger until it says the charging is done.

Depending on exactly what "store" you are dealing with, they should be able to charge it for you.

15. N H

N H New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V

Alright, will do that.

ty ty