1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Issues with Prius starting.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Distraught08PriusOwner, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Distraught08PriusOwner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good Morning!

Okay, so I have a 2008 Prius. I have never had an issue with it that I can remember, I try to be really good about keeping up on its maintenance, but I also know very little about cars. So, I usually just get recommendations whenever I get an oil change. Recently, I have been having issues with it not starting.

So, Monday after work, I came outside to a car that would not start. I received a jump, drove it home just fine. The "master warning light" and the "hybrid system malfunction light were on". Tuesday morning, the same warning lights were on, I called the dealership to make an appointment, and when I asked them if it was safe to drive. Their response was "I can't say anything for sure until I diagnose the problem"; which obviously was less than reassuring for someone as anxious as I am right now. During my lunch, I took it to the car wash and vacuumed it out. I noticed the warning lights were all gone. So, I took it to where I normally get an oil change. They gave me an oil change and plugged my car into this device to read the error codes.and nothing came up. I drove it around a lot yesterday, probably more than I should have but the mechanics telling me it was fine to drive had given me hope that it was some fluke and I had left a door open or something.

Now it is Wednesday, and my car was once again dead this morning. I received a jump and again the master warning light was on and this time the "check engine" light was on. I plan on taking it to the dealership later, but was wondering if anyone else had experienced something similar?

I will say that I do not ever remember having the 12v battery replaced and neither does my father, the original owner. Based on my reading on here, that might be the case.

Thank you in advance to anyone and everyone who offers their wisdom!