1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Issues With Recently Purchased 2011 Prius FOUR VSC/ABS/(!) Lights On

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mitsuman95, Jul 15, 2016.

1. mitsuman95

mitsuman95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Recently purchased my Prius, and fell in love! I am kind of bummed out that I am already having issues with this car. I just bought it 3 weeks ago. 155k miles.

It all started when I was at a stop. I felt the car surge forward, although i did not release the brakes. The brake pedal sank to the floor. I then had to apply more force to the brakes in order to stop the car. The VSC(swerving car), ABS, Ebrake, and (!) light went on. After driving the car, i noticed that i really had to slam on the brakes to get the car to stop, and my brake regen was not working. I also noticed that my MPG suffered quite a bit.

I was able to reset the codes using the jumper method, and that lasted about 2 days before the same exact thing happened. I reset again, and within hours, it happened again.

I finally checked the codes, and this is what i got:

VSC - 45
    ABS - 42
    (!) - 46

I checked my 12v batt voltage and when the car was off I am reading 12.4 volts or so. When the car is ready, i am reading 14.1v.

Is anyone familiar with this issue?

Thanks guys!

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How does the brake fluid level look( is it low)? What is the history of the vehicle ( been in any accidents, damage, etc.). After testing codes and before they would come back, what was the braking response and dos the issues go away until the lights came back on?

3. mitsuman95

mitsuman95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Brake fluid is right on point. Not low, not high. no accidents(as far as i know). Clean carfax. Braking goes back to normal once I clear the codes. Yes, the issue is non existent, until it comes back.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You would need a proper code reader to read the codes on the Prius, what you posted are not DTC codes.

From what you're describing, it sounds like you shouldn't be driving this car until you figure out the braking issue. A guess would probably be a failure of the brake actuator.....which has an extended warranty for gen2 models.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. mitsuman95

mitsuman95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The brakes are sluggish, they def work fine when i need them, although the regen braking is very sensative, to where without it you need more pressure. If I pump the brakes, then it seems to build more pressure and feels more solid. But if i ease into the braking, i am headed towards the floor.

Is there a way to read the DTC codes? I am hoping you mean extended warranty on gen 3....? 2011 is gen 3 right?

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can probably bring it to a local auto shop like "autozone" and have the codes read.

you have a gen3, which doesn't have the actuator warranty. But until you read the codes, what I mentioned is just a wild guess

7. mitsuman95

mitsuman95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My bad. I misunderstood. I do have a code reader, but there were no codes stored in the system, even when the lights were on. Any idea why this would happen?

Yea. Bummer...

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are many computers in the Prius that can only be read by special code readers. The regular code readers will read engine codes....which you don't have any problems on. This is an electronic issue and you'll need a special reader to read the codes.

Amazon sells something to do it called MiniVci cable. It runs through a laptop computer and connects to the car.

9. mitsuman95

mitsuman95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    aah, ok. Got it. Thank you!

10. mitsuman95

mitsuman95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can someone point me in the right direction as to what code reader will work for me? I would like to have access to read the proper codes whenever I want.

Thanks.

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The most common one on here is the minivci cable, which comes with software to run off a laptop. You can get it on Amazon for about $25

mitsuman95 likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There was a 3rd gen recall on the brakes, something at the master cylinder? Not sure how applicable it'd be, and might only apply to the first 2-3 years of 3'rd gen, the fix was factory-applied after that?

Does "check hybrid system" warning come on too? We've had somewhat sim symptoms plus CHS warning, a few times now. Dealership still not sure, checked and dismissed codes 3 times, or 4? Losing track.

Last time the mechanic commented that my ScanGauge plugged in constantly might be causing some sort of intermittent fault. So I've kept it off, for maybe 6 mo now, no more events.

One thing, my impression when it happens, it's not so much brake failure as a revert to fail safe programming. Dealership said the same thing, and suspect it's just some sort of communication fault. Still a problem, but at least not mechanical. They hope...

13. mitsuman95

mitsuman95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The "check hybrid system" warning is not on. I have noticed that when I clear the code, and throw it in park once stopped at a light, I avoid the light coming on. If i just hold the brake at a red light, the brake pedal starts to slowly loose pressure, and then the lights pop up. It almost feels as though i am losing hydraulic pressure. If i pump on the brakes, pressure builds back up and holds.

Has this happened to you?

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No, does sound like a mechanical issue. Per @JC91006, I'd get the pros on it, preferably a Toyota dealership; it's not safe.

15. mitsuman95

mitsuman95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am going to bleed the brakes and replace the brake fluid. Hoping this will help. Will check back

16. mitsuman95

mitsuman95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey guys. I haven't had a chance to bleed the brakes yet, but I did pick up a Mini VCI cable. Code is C1246. Any insight?

I will be googling this now to see what I can find...

Thanks!

17. mitsuman95

mitsuman95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey guys. Just a quick update incase this helps anyone. I have a friend who knows a Toyota master tech. I told him exactly what has been happening, as well as the code. He advised that based on the symptoms, it is the brake actuator failing. Sigh.

Thanks for the help for those who posted. Best place to find this part for cheap?

18. Robertto09

Robertto09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Buy it on ebay