1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Issues with starting after changing combo meter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mumba, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Mumba

Mumba New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please help. I had a mechanic "friend" take apart my dash to pull out the combination meter to send out for repair. Unfortunately he fell ill and could not return to finish the job - put it back together. I finally found someone to put it back together but it will not start. We first thought the battery was dead - but something is not quite right. When we jumped it to get it started the car came on - without using the key or start button. If you put the key in after jumping it will run until you turn it off. If not the car will turn off after 10 minutes or so.

Did we connect something wrong? Is there a code reset needed? Any insight would be appreciated. The battery is under warranty but I do not want to replace until we figure out what is going on with the electrical.

Thanks

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Test your 12v battery after charging it. The voltage should stay above 12v when loaded (turn on the lights) and recover when unloaded. It should also hold a charge fo several days of not being used.

JeffD

3. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Last person, I knew who "Jump" their Prius blew the inverter. Did you follow the correct hookup procedure bypass the 12v Aux with an external one?

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The OP made one post and never came back or replied to the Professor. I hardly think she's been waiting around for 2 years with her car still broken hoping for more advice. Don't hold your breathe waiting for an answer, either.