1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Issues with stereo upgrade, need to fix it myself.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Bill Lumbergh, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Background: 2005 Prius, Package 1, upgraded with Infinity components in front and a 2-channel Kicker amp driving all speakers from the stock headunit. Amp is mounted in the rear cargo tray and gets power and ground from the 12V battery.

Two problems with my stereo, hopefully one of which is an easy fix.

Problem #1: Slight whine from front tweeters (non-JBL) at all times, most noticable with the stereo off. Whine does not ever change in frequency, just a constant background hum. How can I get rid of it?

I suspect it's being generated by the amp. Supposing the power and ground connections are good, would this be normal? I'm thinking the stereo shop that did the install didn't tap into a switched 12V wire (instead using a constant 12V) that powers down when the stereo is off. If the problem is not caused by the amp itself or by the amp staying powered, is there some kind of passive filter I can install on the tweeter side to block the noise?

Just how do I get the stereo out to check? I'm a pro with a multimeter, so I need no help there. A schematic of the stereo connections (including those from the headunit) would be immensely helpful.

Problem #2: The loud beep when playing with the MFD. No fix yet, right?

2. bobc

bobc New Member

B..W..P,

First off, wouldn't the shop be responsible for taking care of the whine? After all, you paid them fora quality installation...

I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in about the whine.

As for getting the head unit out, do a search for Eddie Bell's instructions for adding XM radio. He has very good instructions for pulling the dash pieces off and getting at the back of the head unit.

As for the beeps, are they louder than before? If so, ask the installers (or check your invoice) if they added Line Output Converters between the head unit and the amp. If so, these converters have potentiometers than can be dialed down to lower the beep volume.. I was able to determine that this is what caused my beeps to be louder with my non-JBL system.

Cheers,

3. wilco

wilco New Member

There are many possible reasons for your noise, the first and most likely is a grounding issue, followed by your signal carrying wires (pre-amplification) picking up interference of some sort (often lack of isolation/separation of power and signal wires), followed by the amp itself amplifying mechanical noise (insufficient isolation/damping from the car's chassis). Since a shop installed it - it's really their problem. They might want to add an inline noise suppressor, but that should be viewed as a last resort, what you really want is to eliminate the cause.

As for the beeps, they are now being amplified by your aftermarket amp. If the beeps are a constant volume on the non-JBL (I believe they are, but don't know because I have the JBL), then you need the line converter to attenuate the speaker outputs from the head unit to a greater degree, i.e. be able to accept a higher volume signal from the head unit, so the volume of the beeps (constant) is relatively lower compared to the music (higher, because it's variable with the volume control). Basically, what bobc said.

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think the shop is back in Oklahoma or somewhere along BWP's trek after picking his Prius up and returning to Alaska, so I don't think it's feasible for him to just take it back there for them to fix.

5. wilco

wilco New Member

OK, if that's the case

1) Grounds - both faulty/lifted and possible loops. Double check everything.

2) Lead dress. Check/isolate all potential spots where the wiring could be picking up noise. Check that no wires are coiled - especially power wires. All wiring should get away from the amp as quick as possible, i.e. don't wrap wires around amps.

3) Check the mounting of all relevant components - both the security and location (one thing I've seen that always makes me cringe is when someone mounts an amp to a sub enclosure. Obviously not your problem, but you get the idea)

4) Check that the amp itself isn't somehow at fault. Disconnect it from the car's power source, connect it directly to a battery (with a fuse, of course) and see if the noise is still there. If it's gone, then the amp is OK and your problem is with the car.

After all of that, get back to us with what you've found. If you can't eliminate the noise at that point you may want to look at a noise suppressor (which actually goes on the power line, not in the signal chain).

6. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I'm no expert on this stuff, but I'm with Wilco that it's probably some kind of issue with grounding or lack of isolation.

The first thing I would do is figure out if you have a Line Output Converter... if your signal coming into the amp is via RCA cables then there should be an LOC between those RCAs and the speaker cables.

If you have speaker cables coming into the amp then you probably don't have a LOC, and adding one to the system might help because it has a transformer that isolates the head unit from the amp. I am happy with my Navone NE-774V:

http://www.autosound2000.com/adaptor_products.htm

Navone is offering a free auto sound troubleshooting trouble CD-ROM that addresses noise issues with every order, so if you don't have a LOC I'd order an LOC from him and follow the flow he suggests on the CD-ROM.
    For your system the N-7V might be be a good one.

7. Bill Lumbergh

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I knew I should have addressed this problem before I left the lower 48.

OK, what I found so far....

The amp has the power, ground, and power-on signal wires running under it to the battery and to the rest of the bundle. Moving these wires had no effect on the slight hum. All connections look good and pull-test good.

The whole bundle (RCAs, wires from amp to speakers) seems to run right over the top of the traction battery. I don't know how they got everything in there, but I think I'll try to relocate it if there's enough length available.

I have yet to get the head unit out to find the LOCs, which should exist. I haven't seen there anywhere else.

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You can easily find out if the whine is a signal source or an amp problem: disconnect the amp's input at the amp. If noise goes away, then it's an input problem. Noise does not go away, it's an amp problem or the tweeters are very sensitive and transducing noise picked up by the speaker wires.

Beeps: yes, you could attenuate the amp input, but then why have the amp? Your max output with the amp would be the same as without, since you'd be adjusting your reference signal (the beep) to be the same on both sides of the amp. If you set the line input so that the beep sounds the same with the amp as without, you just achieved 1:1 amplification.

9. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I've got some things to add to DanMan's excellent suggestions:

- Navone's site mentions how to make a muting plug, basically connecting shield to tip. (You might be able to just do it with a wire held with your hands to avoid soldering).

- There is a distinction between disconnecting the signal (e.g. pausing a CD) versus disconnecting the RCA connection (which removes the shield ground path that could be an issue). Make sure you try both.

- It's entirely appropriate to lower amp gain if you don't find you have a need turn the volume all the way up. The amp still may buy you less distortion at the highest volumes you actually listen to. Amp gain adjustment is a balance between max output and noise.

10. Bill Lumbergh

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    NOT PLEASED. :cussing: :guns:

Traced the whole mess all the way up to the headunit. It runs from the amp, over the HV battery diagonally to the left footwell, then runs parallel to a factory bundle of wires at the base of the doors, then up behind the steering wheel and finally to the headunit. The Line Out Converter (2-channel) is directly behind the headunit and slightly below it, not mounted, just hanging (a rattle waiting to happen). I played with the adjustments on either channel and it didn't really affect the background noise at all.

I was *very* disappointed with the wiring that was done on the back of the headunit. The new speaker wires from the LOC were spliced in and covered with little pieces of electrical tape, which, inevitably, led to a couple wires having exposed conductors. Five years repairing aircraft wiring has spoiled me, I guess.

The amp's power-on signal wire was spliced to a thin grey wire. Is this wire a switched 12V that only has power when the stereo is on, or is it constant-hot with the car running? If it's not switched, I need to find one that is.

While checking the routing I found the installers lost one of the white clips that holds the B-pillar trim in at the base (that's where that rattle came from). I cruised by the local Toyota dealer and they hooked me up with a new one from their scrounge. Rattle fixed.

Looks like I don't have enough length on the RCAs or speaker wires to redo the routing, so I might have to buy a longer set of RCAs and a couple big spools of wire, and pretty much redo everything they did. As much as it runs next to existing factory wiring and over the HV battery, I guess noise is going to be inevitable. Unfortunately, I don't have a second battery easily accessable to me so I can see if the car's charging system is causing the problem. My money's on the noise coming from the poor routing anyways.

Of course, I'm not doing any more until I write a scathing letter to the manager of Circuit City in Tulsa, OK.

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If the amp is taking its main power directly from the aux battery, then any DC-DC noise would be minimized.
    If you are talking about the gray wire on pin 3 of the HU, yes, it is ACC.

12. Erick

Erick Member

During my last stereo install I had an annoying whine coming from the speakiers, as well. Maybe not the best fix, but I just turned down the gain on the amplifier (it was set all the way up so I set it at half-way) and then the whine went away, even when I played the stereo so loud it set off car alarms (and it wasn't even at full blast) Ohhh, those were the days... Of course, I'm half-deaf now... :)

13. Bill Lumbergh

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's similar to what I did to reduce the loudness of the beep when I play with the MFD.....I lowered the LOC settings and lef the amp's gain alone (about halfway up), now I just turn the stereo up at the HU.

Still has the whine, but it's pretty well masked by the music.

I noticed the stereo in my Subaru has a whine, too.....and it's stock.