1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IT CLEANS--- Motor Medic Motor Flush

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Prius_Angie, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Prius_Angie

Prius_Angie Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ETF,
    - Thanks... sorry i meant to say cold oil dip stick check.
    - In "general" I would disagree w your statement of chemical use in stripping internal bits. No matter what age of car, I estimate, if it reduces grime, debris and carbon buildup, then the Prius wins. No matter if its in your engine, inside your cabin, on your tires, on your car exterior, or in your exhaust....
    - sorry if it wasn't clear that i ALREADY opened up the valve cover [to replace the gasket]; noted in pics. Thus why I am more urgent with cleaning the engine compartment. I wouldn't get this aggressive with my other 2 Prii at ~120k. This Prii engine NEEDS an enema for the excessive carbon buildup. ;)

#21 Prius_Angie, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  2. Prius_Angie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    OK Team,
    Update 1.5 months & 1000 miles later. This stuff is excellent (reminder current 2005 Prius is at 248k miles)!
    -THROTTLE. Pedal depress for throttle is SIGNIFICANTLY MORE responsive; both from stop at intersection also punching it on highway from a 55mph cruise. I wouldn't say my Prius overnite changed into a Mustang, but notably different throttle feel than before without Motor Medic.
    -INCREASED FUEL EFFICIENCY. Now this could be a mix of bunch of factors. In the last month I've changed: all 4x tire pressure up from 35psi to 40psi; dash read of low 30miles/gal to now consistent 38miles/gal
    - IDLE. Sitting idle at stop light is same-same.

Overall seems the engine is cleaner. Im using this on my other 2005 Priusw 140k miles--- Im sold!!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the update, will be awaiting your next successful followup. (y)

Prius_Angie likes this.
  4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any updates on prior/current oil consumption/burn rates?

Prius_Angie and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Please note that NONE of the actual automotive makers OR the lubrication makers recommends putting solvents into your oil to "clean" the engine. Nada, none, zip.

I guess there are worse ways to waste your money though.

SFO likes this.
  6. Prius_Angie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    SFO,
    OK came from outside about your task. Here's a bad snap shot of a healthy cold oil dipstick check. From my vantage point the oil is still golden and where i left it 1.5 months ago. No evidence of burn, thus far. More follow-on reporting next month. Perhaps the 2005 Prius prefers the Kansas City air over VA's?!

Attached Files:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We bought our 2010 Prius II in Richmond, VA had it there for 2 years then moved to Wichita, KS for 3 years and now back out on the Best Coast since 2014.

I've noticed a consumption correlation of how fast I drive vs. amount consumed. The faster I drive, the faster our Prius gets more oil;).

I try to stay 0-5 mph over the posted freeway speed limit (65 around the Bay Area). If I go 10-15 mph over this, consumption levels go from under a quart between 10 k mile oil changes to as much as a quart every 4500 miles.

Keep an eye on it and watch your speed (y).

#27 Raytheeagle, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ray I notice the exact same thing. If I borrow the car for a few days and do 30 miles at 75-80 miles an hour my well cared for car eats a little oil. If the wife has it for 2 weeks for around town driving it's uses no oil at oil.
    So......the engine tends to use oil when you run it hard.

Btw, I'm a Ray too.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting coincidence (y).

I channeled my inner @edthefox5 on the last oil change:

image.jpg

Made right here in Benicia, CA (I drive right by it everyday to work)(y).

m.wynn, Aaron Vitolins and edthefox5 like this.
  10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Angie I applaud all your hard work you are kicking nice person.

But your mileage gain comes from your tire pressure, you will gain 5 mpgs inflating from 35 to 40 lbs.
    The car will jar your back teeth at 40 psi though.

G2 is all tire. They came with Goodyear integreties which are the worlds worst pos tire ever made. It is rock hard and will give you excellent mileage. At a very horrible price.

Now on to the engine cleaner. If your engine is so gooed up you need a quart of kerosine in the oil to help it
    Then you may have bigger problems. It will not fix the wear is has incurred having spent its life on dealer Dino oil. Bearing damage chain tensioner damage poorly working VVT section and excessive wears on valve bucket shims.
    I like your posts your very hard working I am in no way busting your chops just offering my opinion from working on cars and engines for holy crap 42 years now,

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Omg Ray that's all I use. You should see how our engine likes that stuff.
    I loves the zddp pack in it. Best oil I have ever used I use it in my cop car too.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i reread your post
    It's and your using it! Thought it was just a quote.
    What do you think?

13. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    500 miles in since the oil change and it sounds smooth(y).

I have tried several different types made from different base stocks:

• Mobil One from crude
    • Pennzoil Pure Platinum from Natural Gas
    • Red line from ester base

Mobil One was been fine but I wanted to see what other types would do. Pennzoil was okay but didn't see any significant benefits.

Looking forward to this next 10 k miles(y).

edthefox5 likes this.
  14. Prius_Angie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    EdtheFox5,
    Not at all; i have a good amount of thick skin.
    I really appreciate the insight from Pros such as yourself.
    I got this car in APR17 with the knowledge that it had a TON of issues, for just over $1000. I get a lot of "problem solving" therapy from the tinkering and escape from my daily grind at work. I aim to do all the maintenance myself; and this Prius is the laboratory for my outlet. The feedback from you and others seemingly tell me that i may need to consider when to hang it up for the car and/or perhaps keep some of my experimental antics internal; as my experimenting may be unnerving to some.

cheers,
    Angie

#34 Prius_Angie, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    edthefox5 and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd really like to try this stuff one day. Where is the best place to buy it? Last time I checked it was very expensive. And factory discount?? :)

edthefox5 and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is pricey :(.

No factory discount this round (they have a fairly secure gate at the entrance;)). I got it off of Amazon.

I may try to network though and see what I can do(y).

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I get all my Redline oil which is the 5-30 and my trans fluid which is Redline D6 at Jeggs.com.
    Free shipping!

I like there oil is it has exactly what the Prius motor needs a ZDDP package It sounds like a different motor with this oil in it.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. Prius_Angie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    UPDATE-CORRECTION.

I just filled up at the gas station and its official, 44mpg avg for my last tank of 337miles for 7.53 gals of petrol. This tank was the first full gas tank post-MMMF procedure, and i always use the cheaper gas ~87octane. Looks like there are a minimal of 2 factors skewing my data:
    1- INACCURATE MDF. My MDF is inaccurate and short by ~15%. My MDF currently reads ~38mpg avg for this last tank. Since car acquisition in APR17, I have always-only relied on the MDF as a mpg ref; so seems I have been off from the get-go. So in actuality perhaps worst fuel consumption was never as bad as 25mpg but perhaps low 30s mpg.But when I just topped of with fuel and recrunched the numbers, ACTUAL consumption rate was 44mpg avg. My driving has always been consistently a mixture of mix city-hwy.
    2- TIME SINCE MMMF PROCEDURE. Also the last mid fuel fill-up was when i conducted the MMMF procedure. As we have noted more time after procedure will better tell of actual affect. Also, its been 1.5months since the MMMF procedure and I regularly shift my driving between this and my other 2nd Prius.

SUMMARY. My 2005 Prius fuel efficiency is back to good health at 248k miles, likely due to all my initial car nursing maintenance since APR and not due to the MMMF. As ETF5 and audience alluded, the tire inflation from 33psi to 40psi was primary reason for ~20% increase in fuel efficiency. Now, it still is conclusive that MMMF extracted a good amount of engine carbon buildup, but the quicker responsiveness to gas throttling "could" be all in my head. Thanks all, for helping out in thinking this through!

#38 Prius_Angie, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    TheMole, edthefox5 and SFO like this.
  19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    44 mpgs us excellent for that vintage. Def good work there.

Prius_Angie likes this.
  20. Prius_Angie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Today I just filled up at the gas station proving a better MPG rating, going from 44MPG to 47.6mpg avg for 305miles; 6.4gals of 87octane petrol; car mileage from 248,301 to 248,606. In this used tank I also added Chevron fuel injector cleaner; don't know if it affected the mileage, but I estimate that Prius has now settled in to its top mileage rating capacity now at 47.6mpg avg.