1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It finally happened. Red Triangle of Death.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bryanv, Jun 21, 2015.

1. bryanv

bryanv New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So the car had a bad power steering unit, a master cylinder acting up, and an unknown problem in the HV system.

Power Steering unit: I've been quoted ~$2000 to fix previously. May have been as low as $1400...
    Brakes: Likely a Master Cylinder... that'll be at least $1k to fix, right?
    HV Issue:
    Best Case: Inverter. That'll be a ~$400 fix if I do it myself.
    Worst Case: MG2 stator... I can't find a shop locally that'll do the swap operation. Anyone know a good hybrid tech near Indianapolis?

I can get a megger for $50 and track down the HV issue, but the car will still have steering and brake problems.

Which is a shame, since I _just_ put a new, old stock exhaust on it last fall, and that ran me $1300...

I think I've got a money pit here with a new exhaust, two new (less than 4k) tires, and a brand new cluster finish panel in the dash. If anyone here wants to buy it for the parts, make me an offer.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I can't advise about keeping or selling the vehicle but there is an obscure way you could get a ground fault.

At the back of the engine between the inverter and engine is a small black box that carries power to one of the MGs. It has a vent hole and I remember someone tried to clean their engine with a spray wand or steam cleaner. Water got in the terminal box and voila. Very obscure.

Bob Wilson