1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It happened. Flat tire. No spare.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by JMalmsteen, Dec 21, 2017.

1. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm sorry but my ancestry demands a proper Croissant (or two!!). Of course they are difficult to mount, and lord you should see the rolling resistance!!

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    SWMBO? :D

Some would say that is better then AAA, although more expensive. ;)

Geo Dude, VFerdman and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why freeze the spare tire?:confused::rolleyes:

Priifan, bisco and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  4. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In all the discussions about Prius with no spare, I don't think I've ever seen any discussion of run-flats for these cars. I just looked on TireRack.com and found a Bridgestone DriveGuard in the OEM 15-inch size. While these may not be the most fuel efficient or comfortable, maybe the peace of mind they provide might be worth the negatives? I had a BMW with run-flats, and didn't mind too much.

Geo Dude and deadmoney33 like this.
  5. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A true story. Several years ago Krispy Kreme opened a couple of stores in the Twin Cities after market research showed that we had the 'lowest doughnut to bagel store ratio' of any U.S. urban area. It didn't last. Now if I plug my zipcode into the 'doughnuts near me' on the KK website, Des Moines comes up as the closest location.

Guess we really prefer bagels.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they closed all the stores around here as we, and we love our donuts. i think kk may be an acquired taste, or possibly something you grew up on, not knowing any better.

VFerdman and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  7. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bisco knows that you freeze the donut spare so the frosting doesn't run on everything! After all, that sticky mess would just attract ants (and uncles!), and goof up your beautiful paint job. It's just common cents (scents?)! Har, har!
    I get a sense that I've gone SLIGHTLY off topic hear (here?) Sorry, but you all have tantalized me with all this talk of donuts, etc.!!

Priifan, Prodigyplace and bisco like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ce n'est pas un problème!:cool:

9. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm sorry but Krispy Kreme's are NOT proper doughnuts; too small, too sweet (tout de suite!). I demand the fully risen, large, vanilla perfumed, ultra light doughnuts we get here, usually from Star Donuts, or Rainbow Donuts (in Garden Grove!). Besides, who has ever heard of a Bagel spare; now that's just plain silly!!

Priifan, VFerdman and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Aah, zee man wiss ze French tongue (tong?), he strikes again!!
    I still prefair ze CROISSANT (from Boulangerie Pierre Patisserie, Garden Grove); ze are ze BEST!! Our little Vietnamese community out here cranks out the best croissants, this side of Frogland!! No spares though; people eat them too fast!

Priifan and bisco like this.
  11. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have Sienna minivan that came with run-flat. (AWD model did not have place to store spare tire under the deck.) That was disaster. Tire was so stiff and uncomfortable and had such a low tread life, on average it lasted 15K. On top of it, it was very hard to find and very expensive. Also, manual called for replacing all four tires even if only one tire goes flat. There was a class action lawsuit against Toyota (not Bridgestone or Dunlop who were OEM tire makers of those run-flat). In the end, Toyota agreed to warrant OEM run-flat tires for Sienna AWD owners. We endured two sets of run flat tires for the first three years. The second set was free replacement by Toyota warranty. After second set had flat, I changed them to regular tires and never had any problem. Naturally, my expectation for run-flats is so low, I never considered putting them on my PRIME. By the way did I mention, so called run-flat tires we had did not run when we had flat. We had to call flat-bed truck to be towed to the nearest Toyota dealer. Maybe run-flat tires have improved since then, but I still have a big doubt.

#31 Salamander_King, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    Geo Dude, HPrimeAdvanced and Lucifer like this.
  12. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree, when you get a flat with a run flat, you can’t drive on it, my wife (X1)had it happen, they cost more weigh more last less and don’t work.
    Toyota should put on steel belted oem tires, one week old 16 Prius 4 and a stone punctured the middle of the tread, my solution, Michelin defenders.
    My wifes new ride, a rave 4 hybrid, had a stone puncture at one month, my solution, Michelin defenders.

My new 17 prime plug in has the Bridgestone’s no Puncture yet, studded winters on now, in the spring, new Michelin defenders, see the pattern?

Priifan and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was in a dorm in college. One night, a room mate worke me up at 2AM after he returned from New York City. He insisted I eat the New York bagel he thrust into my hand.o_O:mad::sleep::rolleyes:

14. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I went to a conference in NYC & tried my first (and only) Krispy Kreme. Yuck! They can keep them. Way to sweet for my taste.

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I don't have cell service to contact AAA, then I won't be able to contact any other roadside assistance either.

And since I do travel in places without phone service -- just look at how much white space is in the Pacific Northwest on all cell coverage maps -- some level is self sufficiency is essential. That means having at least a plug kit and pump to fix the most common repairable flats myself, though all my current vehicles also have spares.

That also means, for worse flats and breakdowns, being equipped to either hike out for help in any kind of likely weather, or camp out in the car until the worst weather breaks. Somewhere in the region, someone flunks this test nearly every year, and their body found weeks or months later. And a few are never found, though we have their abandoned vehicles and sometimes a survivor who stayed with it.

16. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The Toyota Emergency button uses a special service; I don't know its coverage area. Maybe pilotgrrl or someone more knowledgeable on this subject can jump in and answer your concern which is very important to all of us!

Priifan likes this.
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Besides posts #31 & 32 here, see also #34 over at: anyone use run-flat tires | Page 2 | PriusChat

Priifan and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a 3G cell service. Nothing special.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it is cell based, then it cannot have any better coverage than the normal cell networks.

Does anyone know what network(s) the system uses? Out here, the original two cell bands are the only ones to even consider for fringe coverage (rural mountainous areas). The Verizon system (and any others on the same band allotment) have the best coverage here, followed by ATT. The later PCS band systems are not built out as well.

Other regions have different comparisons and 'best' networks. And in flat urban areas, network choice is usually much less important.

Geo Dude and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  20. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Verizon. Another poster (Prime Communications Links | PriusChat) posted a part number that suggests that it is a 4G (LTE) radio, which will work after Verizon shuts down their 2G and 3G CDMA system in year or so. The specs for the specific part number indicated that it supported UMTS, but not CDMA, so only the LTE functionality would work with Verizon.

#40 CharlesH, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017