1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It only took 6 gallons this morning...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rich12, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I finally ran the fuel gauge down to the blinking last bar and drove for another 10 miles or so. Filled it up until it cut off at 6 gallons. Is this normal? Does that mean there were 5 gallons still in it?

2. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Did all 10 pips then light up after the fillup? My tank is really picky about the pump I use to fill up and how I do it. It often cuts off early and the tank isn't actually full. Highly irritating.

If all 10 pips showed after the fillup, you probably need to recalibrate the fuel inclinometer sensor. I had to do this when I first got my Prius and it did help the accuracy of the fuel gauge. See this post for the procedure: Gas gauge didn't show empty

3. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would not worry about it as the G2 Prius uses a bladder in the fuel tank. In colder weather I believe the bladder stiffens not allowing as much fuel. My guess! H

4. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is it really cold where you are? The difference in capacity (due to the bladder) can easily be over a gallon different between summer and winter.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You do not list your location, but if you are in North America somewhere, then the gen 2 (2004 to 2009) Prius has a 'flexible bladder' inside the gas tank to reduce gas vapors. Sadly it is more flexible in hot weather and less flexible in cold weather. So in August I might get 11 gallons on a fill up, where in December I might get 7. (I am in Mississippi, so many areas will get colder than I do) Later afternoon will allow you to add more gas than early morning.

So no, there was not 'hidden gas' it simply holds less the colder it is. Fill up at two pips and you never need to walk several times to your car bringing it more gas. (The gen 2 will need 3 gallons to 'see' that you have added gas)

6. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah that explains it; I am in Minnesota. That bladder is probably stiffer than Maggie Thatcher's hooch.

Do you think the fuel gauge recalibration would have any affect?

kattax likes this.
  7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have not heard of any fuel gauge recalibration, but in my case it really held less in winter. A lousy time to walk for gas, two pips!

8. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I am in MN, too. The effect of the cold does have an effect -- probably a gallon or maybe two. However, in my case, doing the "recalibration" (it is really just resetting the inclinometer) did have a positive effect on the fuel gauge accuracy.

The degree of inaccuracy you are seeing (expecting 9+ gallons and only filling up 6) is similar to what I used to see. Now mine is much better. You don't have much to lose with doing the procedure I linked to above, it won't hurt anything....

9. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will try that today...just out of curiosity what's the deal with all the Easter-egg style settings with this car? Why not have an MFD sub-menu that allows the user to directly access these features? Such as the diagnostics for the aux battery and the fuel gauge calibration? Whoever designed this car out of be given a non-elective vasectomy.

10. roamerr

roamerr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2005 has the same issue. A fill up in winter is only 7 gallons or so. In summer it's 9. Basically fill up 100 miles different. No big deal -- my previous trucks and daughter's Jeep are lucky to go 250 miles on a full 20 gallon tank. I get 300 miles on less than 7 gallons.