1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It took a while but it's fixed!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jeffery Merrill, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Jeffery Merrill

Jeffery Merrill Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Back and forth over the last several months I've been trying to get my headlights all working at the same time and at the same level. I now have two new ballast resistors and a set of new 4300 k HID headlamps and it's all working correctly. I bought some 6000k bulbs in the hopes that those would work but to my chagrin that the ballast will not handle the 6000 K bulbs. I am left with one brand new and one slightly used 6000k bulbs, and a ballast resistor that mounts to my headlight assembly but the lead is only 9 in Long. Can't return the ballast because that was so long ago so I don't know what I'm going to do with it.

2. mpg_numbers_guy

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What was the problem, and what was the fix ?

Was it new bulbs, ballasts, resistors or some combination ?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Jeffery Merrill

Jeffery Merrill Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As I said in the second sentence I have two new ballasts and new 4300K bulbs. I replaced both bulbs last year and purchased two ballasts, but one of them only had a 9 inch lead. I replaced both bulbs and the one ballast and everything worked til January when the right bulb blew out due to the old ballast giving up on me. I bought a set of 6000K because I wanted a bit better illumination and a new ballast, making sure it had the 12 inch lead I needed. Put the new ballast in and installed one of the 6000K bulbs in that housing. Didn't have time that day to do both.

That night, 10 minutes after turning on my headlights, the new bulb winked out. Turned off the headlights and turned them back on, worked fine for a few minutes and linked out again. Talked to the guy I bought the ballasts from and he told me the OEM units don't like anything bigger than the 4300K, so I bought a set of new 4300K bulbs. Now everything works right.

SFO likes this.