1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It was working fine then...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Shmoxd, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Shmoxd

Shmoxd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I have a 2006... the main battery went out and got the red triangle of death, so I did the whole replace individual cells..

When I went to start it it would ‘ready’. So I bought a new 12v battery thinking that was the problem. Come to find out I didn’t have the orange safety plug thing engaged all the way. The dumb little tab on top was it pushed down all the way.. smh.

But once I did that it was running.. it had been sitting for a couple months though. So on start up the engine sounded like it was grinding or rattling a bit.. I drove it around and it started acting fine; the same as before the problems.

But I pushed it too hard and went up a long hill and at the end up the hill the engine sounds from starting it sounded again...

Now it won’t ‘ready’ again... and I don’t know if this is part of it, but the main battery just clicks when I try to ready it...

Ideas?

2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ramming on that uphill, must ha e drained a lot of juice out her.

If you are not getting the readied, I guess the traction battery isn't holding capacity. Did you actually follow the did/CHG cycles as you're supposed to? In my mind, it appears you just did a whack a mole approach. Sometimes, those methods work, but that means you've got to go back to the same pack and rip em up, as it would be the case now.

Check the OCV again of the individual modules, and see what they hold. If they're out of spec, do the complete cycles, and that should state the car.

If you've got lots of cash, you could get the hybrid grid charger. Makes it faster, and can be done in the car without removing the battery.

There should be a code on the ECU. Get it scanned and see if there are other reasons this problem occurred.

Dxta

3. Shmoxd

Shmoxd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I’ll be honest.. I don’t even know what the chg cycles are.

It was definitely a shut gin approach to things..

I’ll probably get the code on the ecu tomorrow

4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you got the codes, that would ha e narrow the fault.

You could read up some Post on hybrid battery reconditioning on PC. Thousands of healpful info on battery rebuild. Just type that on the search icon, and there you go!

Shmoxd likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Shmoxd, Where is Logan?

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Clicking on the poster's location brings up a map. Logan is in Utah.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    JimN, Unfortunately, when I clicked on the posters location "Logan" it came up California. Something seems off with Google Maps for me. That's why I asked where is Logan. Just like if I click on your location, right now Google Maps shows me the Isle of Jersey off the coast of France.

Now, if someone can point out to me why Google Maps is playing this game with me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably because there is a Logan in UT, OH, WV and maybe WY. Google is good, but doesn't do ESP, AFAIK.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    TMR-JWAP, when I clicked on my location Google sent me to the portion of NJ east of Pennsylvania. I poked around the profile settings but didn't find a way to change it.

Logan can also be found in NJ & PA.