1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's a "Rattler!"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by The Electric Me, Feb 24, 2015.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn, I really thought I was going to be lucky and have a Prius with a minimal amount of rattles.

But recently, the last week or so, my Prius has developed a rattle from the rear hatch area.

I honestly can't tell exactly where it is coming from, outside of it seems to be coming from the rear.

When I stop, and I try to replicate or reproduce the rattle by simply pushing down on the back, I can't get it to reproduce. Even when I'm driving, it has to be over a slightly bumpy surface at a minimal amount of speed. But the conditions are common enough that I hear it often.

My first thought was actually that either portions of the glass and plastic on the hatch had become loose. But feeling both the horizontal top glass portion, and the vertical plastic insert portion and they both seem solid.

Any suggestions as to what else I should check?

It isn't just magically going away. And trying to track it down is near impossible.

2. Sierra Mark

Sierra Mark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Check to make sure everything is secure around the spare tire.

Rae Vynn likes this.
  3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check under the deck in back... check your side pocket area (it has one, right?) in back... I'd be suspicious of plastic accessories/things, like the removable shelf in the Gen 2 glove box.. and, sound bounces weird. It could be in one of your door pockets.

4. Boston Jim

Boston Jim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had a rattle up front by the passenger side that I just solved last week! It's been bothering me for the past few months, only occurred when on the freeway. I thought it was behind the glove compartments, pulled everything out but that wasn't it, looked behind the glove boxes, thinking the cabin air filter or something in there.

Ended up putting a little bit of pipe insulation foam around the black piston thing that connects the lower glove compartment- since that was the only thing I could find back there that could possibly rattle - nope not that either.

Finally while on the freeway I caught something out of the corner of my eye hitting/tapping near the base of the window on the outside. Finally when I got home discovered one of those maple seeds (helicopter seeds) stuck along the rubber gasket in the corner. The wind from the highway speeds moved it up high enough to tap against the window, but when slowing down or stopping it would somehow slide back down out of site.

Good luck on your rattle hunt!

The Electric Me likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Possible culprits based on what I've read

1. Rear passenger side padding between the door panel and the foldable part of the seatback
    2. Tonneau cover (I have felt pads to tighten the gap when the cover's bar is installed)
    3. The chunky rubber pieces in the hatch's drainage area on either side where the hatch struts rest in the close position.

ThePrius11 likes this.
  6. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Well I don't know. I tried feeling around the windows, and the hatch again. But this time carefully felt the "spoiler". It felt a little loose and had give to it. I didn't do much but kind of fiddle with it a little. Now the rattle seems to have gone. I never really touch the spoiler much except when cleaning the vehicle and hadn't really noticed. It definitely has some give to it. But I don't know how long it may or may not of been this way.

So, I'm not 100% sure this was the solution, it may just be coincidence. But at least for now, the annoying rattle seems to have gone away.

Does anyone know if/how the spoiler can be tightened? Or exactly how it is attached?

I've been careful since day one to try NOT to use it as a handle when opening or closing the hatch.
    I do ( I know a lot of people say NO) but I do occasionally go through one of those automated car washes, and it does have a brush that goes over the roof and down over the hatch.

At least for now I'm going to just hope I "accidentally" fixed this. I'll complain again later when the rattle returns.

7. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I noticed my spoiler was a little loose on the left rear side when I was waxing the other day. Was going to check into it and see if it could be tightened up some. Not sure how to do that either. You could try an experiment with a strip of duct tape (universal repair, 100 mile-an-hour tape) across the offending area and then a test drive. I also found a rattle in the center box, the rear removable cup. The damping fabric on either corner is a bit worn or mis-aligned. I'll fiddle with that someday too.

Rae Vynn likes this.
  8. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yup. Ive owned my Gen3 for like 15 days now. When I first test drove it and brought it home, I swore it was so much more quiet than my 2007 that I traded.

Well, its been in the negative temps here in Metro Detroit. Today, on my way into work, the Prius sounded like I was driving in a Ford F-350 little commuter bus :eek: Plenty of rattles, a lot sounded like hard plastic that wasnt insulated or padded rubbing/popping. And most of it was coming from the hatch area, although my flying buttress has a squeak or rattle too :mad:

9. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Check to see if you have any loose items at all stored in the rear anywhere. If you have, remove them and then go for a test drive. It is amazing how the noise will amplify from the rear to the front by the smallest item.

10. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My rattles started up with the plummeting temps. I'll worry about the ones that don't go away when the temps rise again.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The spoiler always seems to be loose (even if it isn't). Closing the hatch vibrates/shakes the spoiler so several years of that will loosen it. Mine does seem like it has more give than the 2005 but it also has a larger spoiler than the '05 so it might just be physics (more weight, but similar bolt positions and torque numbers).

12. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really can't explain it, but it does seem just "tweaking" the spoiler has made the rattle go away.

I'd like to tighten mine if this is possible. Do you know if doing so is a major undertaking?

13. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This solved my hatch rattles:
    Spacer felted view 2.jpg
    Under spoiler spacer.jpg
    Hatch lower spacer contact.jpg
    Hatch latch loop.jpg

Attached Files: