1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's been an interesting week.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by srellim234, Mar 25, 2023.

1. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Last Saturday I woke up to a dead 12v battery in the Prius with 199976 on the odometer. No one had one in stock locally. Waited until Monday morning and we took my wife's Acura the 50 or so miles to the dealer in Lake Havasu to get one. Put it in; Monday afternoon the Prius turned the 200,000 mile mark.

Deciding it deserved some extra TLC, I took it to the dealer Tuesday for not only the regular service but also a new inverter coolant pump, coolant , trans fluid and serpentine belt. Their inspection said the timing cover seal was leaking a little so I had that fixed too. My goal is to get at least another 100,000 miles out of the Prius.

Wednesday while waiting for the work to be finished I was browsing the lot. We've been talking about replacing the 2009 Acura MDX (odometer at 204,000 miles) with something that is still comfortable but gets better mileage and doesn't use premium gas. Well, we're now a two-Toyota family after our purchase of a 2015 Camry XSE with 84,000 miles on it. The Carfax shows it's accident-free and been maintained by Toyota dealers. BTW, anyone know which Camry forum is the best? Do any of them come close to Priuschat?

This morning I woke up to my wife curled up in pain and a real mess on the bathroom floor. Took her to the emergency room. Turns out she has diverticulitis an a severe intestinal infection. She'll be in the hospital for a few days.

It's been an interesting week.

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Did u try 87 octane? Closed loop systems are designed to listen to those sensors .... I'd bet you could have used 87 the whole time....

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Been there, done that, it is a serious illness.

Bob Wilson

4. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No. On the MDXERS forum some people who tried it had a few problems. We usually try to stick as close to the owner's manual suggestions as much as possible. Sometimes we'll do some EXTRA maintenance that's not in the manual (replace pumps and belts a little ahead of schedule) but we're not the type to try that kind of octane experiment. We just drive with the intention of having plain old transportation that gets us from point A to point B with little worry. That's what has made our 2008 Prius such a great car. We had no mechanical issues with the Acura but after all the Camry IS a Toyota. ;)

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Parents use regular in their Acuras pretty much exclusively without issue. Had the TL for over a 100k miles.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best to you and your wife for a quick and full recovery!

cyberpriusII and srellim234 like this.
  7. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I might get bashed here for saying it but the Acura was likely more reliable than a turd gen pri

bisco likes this.
  8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

srellim234 likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've known a few people who have owned them long term, and they've been solid as a rock

10. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So what? I'm driving a SECOND generation Prius and have never considered a third generation. I explained my other reasons (primarily the expense of premium gas, lower gas mileage, high odometer) for parting with the MDX in favor for a Camry. It's what we feel makes better sense for US.

Trollbait likes this.
  11. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Echoing Bisco ---AND I NEVER DO THAT--- on hopes for good health and happy trails.
    kris

12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ditto, my father lost a good deal of his large intestine due to a bad case of diverticulitis.

The good news is that he seemed to be fine after that. Still kicking around at 95 years old.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

13. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It's ok u don't have to defend it. All of these cars are great. Personal preference dictates what you enjoy. You can't go wrong w what u have. Just note not to get a turd gen. Skip it entirely and go to a 4th gen or Camry. You're right