1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured It's Drive Electric Earth Day Time Again

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by El Dobro, Apr 7, 2019.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    fotomoto likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, it's like Deja vu all over again.

4. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    none anywhere near Chicago?

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There's usually more in September.

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What goes on at these things? Are they worth going to? There is one really close to me saturday. Am I better off walking my dog there, or driving my plug-in?

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The two I'm going to check out this month are new to me, but the one I usually go to in September is pretty cool. It usually has a pretty good turn-out and I shoot the breeze with the other plug-in owners and explain how things work with potential EV purchasers. They also have food trucks and bands there, too. I have a good time.

8. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've not been to their web site in years! Glad they're still there. I've talked to one of the members (Ted?) where I work, and he invited me to a meeting a couple years back. I haven't done that. Looks like a good bunch of folks. Mostly kit builders, it seems.

10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I attended the first event near me and well, I have to give them an E for effort, since they didn't have a lot to work with. It was held in the middle of a commuter town, near the railroad station and parking was zilch. The lots were filled with commuters, so I had to drive around 'til I, a. found an empty spot a few blocks away, and b. found one that took my credit card ($3.00 min. for 2 hours).

The participant's cars were on the main street, mixed in with other cars that got there first. I talked with a few owners and they weren't exactly happy with the way it turned out. I suggested trying the next one on a Sunday so there may be more parking and less traffic.

11. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another option would be for you to take an active part in planning the activity.

It's true. You can take time from you day and work unpaid to organize an event.

Maybe you could be the guy that goes to get the permit. That includes filling out the form, paying the fee, submitting a plan to the city (diagram, emergency plan, etc), attend city meeting to explain your application, fill out required insurance application, pay for the insurance, distribute the certificates.

Or maybe you could be the guy that does the publicity. Like writing the press release, paying to have it distributed, putting it in the newspaper, putting on web sites, posting in forums.

Or maybe you could be the guy who scouts locations. Figuring out logistics, paying for any fees, etc.

Or maybe you could be the guy who gets food vendors to the location
    Etc, etc , etc.

This is the first year for Drive electric earth day.
    It is organized by volunteers.

It is easy to complaint about an event you did not pay for and did not participate in planning. And event you have no intent in lifting a finger to help with.

I encourage you to get on board and volunteer to be a part of the event. You have been a participant. You bring your own perspective that can be helpful. Now bring your time and talent to make it better.

bwilson4web and Robert Holt like this.
  12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It may not be in the same category as flying a G5 to Davos for a meeting about economic inequality but I am still scratching my head over the thought of driving to an eco-rally.

I wouldn't want to show up without a carpool's worth of riders though.

13. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the post!
    It turns out there is an event on Wednesday evening with at least 10 different types of electric cars in Vienna, Virginia, which is near where I live. So I plan to attend and dig into any experience ps the owners might have that will help us decide which car EV would complement the Prius and our e-bikes the best.

14. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey Leadfoot, it’s the same principle as flying your airplane to the EAA fly-in at Oshkosh, Wisconsin at the end of July. By carefully inspecting the available objects, picking the heads of their owners/builders, and attending technical seminars (if available), you can either be much better prepared to build your own BEV , or if you purchase one, to make a much more well-considered BEV purchase. (In our case we can ride our e-bikes up to Vienna and have a near-zero carbon footprint.)

15. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This is not the first year for Drive Electric, I've volunteered the past two years at a different event. This is the first time I registered for participation in this one. I got there late, since I usually work six days a week and have a hard time getting off from work. I am currently registered to help in one coming up in a couple of weeks which is in the evening, so It'll easier for me to go to.

16. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can assure you that 2019 IS the first drive electric earth day.

From their marketing/solicitation mayerials released November 29 2018.....

"First Ever Drive Electric Earth DayHappening April 2019

Electric vehicles will join communities across the U.S. and internationally to celebrate clean air, sustainability, and our home -- Earth! Drive Electric Earth Day (DEED) brings together electric vehicle (EV) supporters from all over the country to organize EV events in their community with our support via an online event page, helpful resources/webinars, and event kits with EV-related printed materials."

17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a different name and time, but it's the same bunch that run this around here.
    National Drive Electric Week

18. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are correct.
    National Drive Electric week (NDEW) happens in the fall. Always has. That has been around for years.

Drive Electric Earth Day (DEED) is a new event and coincides with Earth day. This is the first time for it to be organized.

Both are promoted by the same entity (PIA). Asking that other people around the country do the organizing locally.

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've got to admit I'm not happy with using 'Climate Change' to justify buying a BEV. Better arguments are performance and lower operational costs.

I'm OK with standing up for climate change and living 'green' often means saving greenback Yankee dollars. Just I resent being seen as a climate change advocate because I drive a great car.

Bob Wilson

#19 bwilson4web, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  20. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a list of the cars attending the one next week. They've closed registration to models that aren't attending yet, too much enthusiasm. :D
    Drive Electric Earth Day - Somerset